Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: PaW 1941-45 v.3.63 me (Japs) warspite1 (Allies)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: PaW 1941-45 v.3.63 me (Japs) warspite1 (Allies) Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: PaW 1941-45 v.3.63 me (Japs) warspite1 (Allies) - 6/17/2018 5:50:11 AM   
larryfulkerson

EDIT: I have reviewed this page and have deemed it safe for Rob to see.

Vanua Levu has an Allied garrison that's too stout for the one little regiment that I have available so I'm moving to Samoa to try to get ashore. I was intercepted two or three times getting into position for the assault but there was no damage to the Jap ships or LCU's. I'm making a three-dot attack against a small garrison and I expect to get ashore.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/1/2018 5:40:12 AM >

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 211
RE: PaW 1941-45 v.3.63 me (Japs) warspite1 (Allies) - 6/23/2018 6:30:44 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's going on in southern China now. I'm fighting over the rails and the Cbinese want to hold onto them. I'm repairing it as I go to help the supply flow and progress is being made. It's going to tkae a while to own the rails and repair them all. I'm planning on clearing out the country of Chinese troops just because I can.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 212
RE: PaW 1941-45 v.3.63 me (Japs) warspite1 (Allies) - 6/23/2018 1:43:05 PM   
larryfulkerson

I've pushed the Allies down into the last 1/4 of Malaya and the operation has progressed so far that I can safely start railing people out of here for places like Java and Rangoon. I think I've given up with wanting to invade the north part of Australia because of the severe lack of supply there.

I've seen some Allied ships moving about around Karach, India so I'm thinking I ought to saddle up and drive over there to see what's cooking.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 213
RE: PaW 1941-45 v.3.63 me (Japs) warspite1 (Allies) - 6/23/2018 2:54:56 PM   
larryfulkerson

I've driven the CV's that were parked at Rabaul to a spot to the west of Colombo, Ceylon so that there's 5 of them gathered there now. The Allied ships are to the west of Karachi in the culdesac and I'm planning on hunting them down and sinking them but I'm out of MP's for several of the CV's and it'll have to wait until next turn.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 214
RE: PaW 1941-45 v.3.63 me (Japs) warspite1 (Allies) - 6/24/2018 5:48:14 PM   
larryfulkerson

I've just received some moves from Rob and in his Diplomatic Pouch he tried to tell me about some problem he's having and the game engine truncated his sentences so that I have no idea what's wrong. I think to be safe I'll have to put the game on hold for about half an hour while I try to get a hold of Rob and straighten out what's the message say.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 215
RE: PaW 1941-45 v.3.63 me (Japs) warspite1 (Allies) - 6/24/2018 6:50:06 PM   
larryfulkerson

I thought I'd post this strategic map while we're waiting.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 216
RE: PaW 1941-45 v.3.63 me (Japs) warspite1 (Allies) - 6/24/2018 6:54:00 PM   
larryfulkerson

I just now got an email from Thomas Harvey about the problem that warspite1 is having. Here it is:

Hi Larry

In your game with Warspite a ground unit of the allies can't take a hex occupied by only two Japanese air units. The problem is addressed in the scenario briefing as it relates to dual icon units that have an artillery icon as a secondary icon. As noted in the briefing below, one must pay attention to the artillery range of the units. The dual icon gives added ability to the units but you need to know how to use them properly. To my knowledge, my scenarios are the only scenarios that have this feature. I think it can be quite useful.

Most non armored, armored infantry or Marine units that have towed artillery equipment in the unit have a dual icon assigned. This allows the unit's artillery to have the same artillery operations as does a dedicated artillery unit with nothing but artillery equipment in the unit. However, on occasion they will refuse to attack as infantry. In that situtation click on the unit display and reduce the range to zero. Then the unit will attack like an infantry unit but will still have the firepower of the artillery equipment in the unit. These same dual infantry/artillery units will be unable to act as defensive reserves to enter a hex in response to enemy attack. They will fire their artillery equipment in defense instead if dug in or set on reserve status. Without the dual icon the artillery equipment in the infantry unit would not nave artillery operations and therefore be at a big disavantage. Dual icon units will also act like artillery units in that they will not take te target hex during the combat phase. They would need to take the hex on a subsequent phase. It is recommended non dual icon units be mixed in to take the hex during the combat phase.

Good luck.

Tom

Post #: 217
RE: PaW 1941-45 v.3.63 me (Japs) warspite1 (Allies) - 6/24/2018 7:14:18 PM   
larryfulkerson

I found a unit on Formosa that has a very low proficiency so I thought I'd get them busy doing a lot of infantry plinking to slowly increase the prof. of the unit. I need at least 60% or so before I put them into the air-to-air stuff. My naval pilots are the best whether fighter or bomber pilots. I've got a lot of the better fighter pilots in the Bangkok area to fend off Allied bombers and maybe put in an airfield strike or two periodically along with the bombers who actually do the damage done. I get hits on the ground staff when it's not an airfield strike and unless it hits some AA equipment it's a largely wasted strike.

<rant>The way TOAW IV game engine is written repeated strikes on the airfield don't damage the airfield in any way...no runway hits, no fuel dump hits, no infrastructure hits, nothing like that so it becomes a war of aerial attrition in that the only things lost are the aircraft involved. There's no way to shut down a port by repeated strikes on the port either. And no night missions for the aircraft.</rant>

I read that part in the scenario briefing about the dual icon feature being part of this scenario but I haven't run into any problems using the units involved. Maybe the Japs don't have any such units.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 218
RE: PaW 1941-45 v.3.63 me (Japs) warspite1 (Allies) - 6/24/2018 7:35:55 PM   
larryfulkerson

I did a save game and then zipped up the file and attached it here below so that those of you interested in seeing all the reports and dialogs want to take an in-depth look at the situation you can d/l this file and unzip it and load it as a saved game. This is T10. The password is "password" without the quotes if you want to look at the Allied side.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 219
RE: PaW 1941-45 v.3.63 me (Japs) warspite1 (Allies) - 6/25/2018 4:50:37 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the supply situation on Java right now. It's getting better as I clear out the hexes and do mop up. I've got one end of the island to clear up yet and then it'll be officially cleared. I'm thinking of investing in the island of Timor next.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 220
RE: PaW 1941-45 v.3.63 me (Japs) warspite1 (Allies) - 6/27/2018 1:44:40 AM   
larryfulkerson

Manila fell last turn so this turn will see a lot of the units in the PI being moved to Singapore or Bangkok or somewhere. Maybe I should invade on the north coast of Australia....Darwin maybe.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 6/27/2018 1:45:04 AM >

Post #: 221
RE: PaW 1941-45 v.3.63 me (Japs) warspite1 (Allies) - 6/27/2018 7:49:56 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a look at Java and I still have to clear out the western end of the island. There's no hurry in this process because there's not that much left to do. And now that Manila has fallen I have the troops I'll need to finish the mop up.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 222
RE: PaW 1941-45 v.3.63 me (Japs) warspite1 (Allies) - 6/27/2018 6:31:56 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what the supply situation looks like for the Rangoon area right now. I'm working on getting the supply levels higher by repairing the rail to the east of the dirt road, the one in the jungle that leads nowhere. If I repair that rail then maybe some of the supply will spill over and help those by the river. It's worth a shot.

If it doesn't work, or it's taking too long I'm thinking of storming Rangoon via the sea but I seem to recall that Rangoon has CD guns and I'd have to defeat those guys first. That means I'd have to bring one or more of the BB's along for the party. I might ought to run some ships up there to see what kind of defenses he has there.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 223
RE: PaW 1941-45 v.3.63 me (Japs) warspite1 (Allies) - 6/27/2018 6:44:42 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a Jap paratrooper that has gotten himself cornered in Burma and it's looking like he's goners. I don't have any way to save him and the CS missions won't lend much support that far away from the airfields so I'm thinking I'm going to loose a paratrooper unit. He will respawn with no airmobile cap.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 224
RE: PaW 1941-45 v.3.63 me (Japs) warspite1 (Allies) - 6/27/2018 7:51:25 PM   
larryfulkerson

I've got a DD unit in the shipyards at Cam Ranh Bay and it's healing from the damage it received in combat and I've discovered that I'm not going to get any more of that thype of DD. I may have to park this DD unit in the home islands as a spare.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 225
RE: PaW 1941-45 v.3.63 me (Japs) warspite1 (Allies) - 6/30/2018 5:14:37 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what southern China looks like now. I'm slowly taking the railroads away from the Chinese and repairing it. I've got a lot of troops tied up in this little project and it's starting to cost quite a bit to make even a little progress. The supply levels are too low to go any faster so this is going to take a while.

Attachment (1)

"Jesus Christ." [ pause while realization spreads across the CIA directors face ] "That's Jason Borne."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVxL-xOu_qA

Post #: 226
RE: PaW 1941-45 v.3.63 me (Japs) warspite1 (Allies) - 6/30/2018 11:43:56 PM   
larryfulkerson

There's a massive mop up operation going on on the island of Mindanao. Several of the Allied partisan units have surfaced and I'd like to clear them all up. The supply level is low and my units are yellow and can't fire. It's going to take a while and meanwhile the war goes on.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 6/30/2018 11:44:39 PM >

"Jesus Christ." [ pause while realization spreads across the CIA directors face ] "That's Jason Borne."

Post #: 227
RE: PaW 1941-45 v.3.63 me (Japs) warspite1 (Allies) - 7/1/2018 12:07:21 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what it looks like in the Singapore area right now. The fighting is in slow motion because the supply levels are so low. Introducing more units won't halp and I'm wondering if an amphibious assault might do the trick. I've disposed of the CD guns and there's no reason now not to do it. Except for the losses that would happen. I'm hoping to have this area wrapped up in about 5 to 7 turns.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 228
RE: PaW 1941-45 v.3.63 me (Japs) warspite1 (Allies) - 7/1/2018 2:56:01 PM   
larryfulkerson

I'm having some trouble with partisans in the Hobo Woods around the Tay Ninh area. I've finally got a surround on them. Meanwhile, In the I Drang mountains there's three separate units of partisans and they don't want to surrender. I'm jockeying with them in an effort to get them all in one stack or maybe kill one of them.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 229
RE: PaW 1941-45 v.3.63 me (Japs) warspite1 (Allies) - 7/1/2018 3:00:56 PM   
larryfulkerson

Uh....hey you guys: I'm starting to get backed up in my moves and I've been saving my work as I go and trying to move the quickest moves first then the next quickest, then the longer moves in that order and it has resulted in everybody at once all the time. So I'm just saying that your moves might get slower on the return pretty quickly now. Your patience is appreciated.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 230
RE: PaW 1941-45 v.3.63 me (Japs) warspite1 (Allies) - 7/1/2018 8:17:35 PM   
larryfulkerson

I flew a fighter unit to the southern tip of Borneo in range of some Allied planes ( B-25's, B-10's, P-26's? ) near Balikpapan and I'm thinking that I might not ought to do an airfield strike with my trainer planes because until the Oscar II comes out in numbers, these guys will have to sacrifice themselves in combat, but not to just throw them away. I'd rather the Allies attack ME. I'll do some airfield bombardment with the ships to see what good that will do.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/1/2018 8:18:53 PM >

Post #: 231
RE: PaW 1941-45 v.3.63 me (Japs) warspite1 (Allies) - 7/2/2018 3:50:29 PM   
larryfulkerson

Hey you guys, it's only 08:40 on Monday morning and I'm already backed up. I was working on Overlord when two CSV's showed up almost simultaneously. I'm working them first come first served today and I'm hoping everybody can see how fair that might turn out to be in the long run. Plus I'm going to take an hour for lunch with my mom and my sister Jeri, who live in the same trailer park that I do. Jeri just happens to be an OR nurse who's watching our mom for us. She knows what a stroke looks like and I don't, etc. Plus, since she lives alone, I call her every day at 17:00 just to make sure she's not laying on the kitchen floor and can't get up or something. And if I forget, again, to call her at 17:00 the procedure is for her to call me at 17:30 to see what's wrong. It's been working so far.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 232
RE: PaW 1941-45 v.3.63 me (Japs) warspite1 (Allies) - 7/15/2018 1:40:50 PM   
larryfulkerson

Well guys, the real world has interceded again and Rob is too busy
with issues that he can't play at this time. This game is officially
abandoned.

Post #: 233
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: PaW 1941-45 v.3.63 me (Japs) warspite1 (Allies) Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI