Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/6/2018 2:36:32 AM   
larryfulkerson

I drove a DD group down to the Maldives and found the commonwealth TF and it took a shot at me but there was no damage. I need to retreat for now to save the DD's.

EDIT: I've reviewed page 5 and have decided to unclassify it. Warspite1 can read it if he desires.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 6/24/2018 6:45:53 AM >

"we've finished the translation...it's a cookbook."

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 121
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/6/2018 2:42:16 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Szilard
Looking quickly thru the reinforcement schedule, seems that just about all US land forces appear in Hawaii somewhere. If that's right, I guess taking the islands wins you the war - how would the US take them back?

But it seems gamey ...

Um....so um...if Pearl falls Rob will have to fall back to San Francisco or LA or somewhere and build up his forces until he has sufficient to contest the ownership of some small island somewhere to take it back. There IS the problem that the reinforcements that usually spawn at Pearl won't and he'll run short of troops quickly. I think you're right about it being the end of the game the end of the war for Pearl to fall. Maybe there ought to be some kind of automatic victory if Pearl falls. That's sufficient motivation to try to take Pearl.

(in reply to Szilard)
Post #: 122
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/6/2018 3:04:23 AM   
Szilard

Just think it would be better if US reinforcements spawned on the west coast rather than Hawaii, but obviously you gotta play with what you got.

Post #: 123
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/6/2018 3:30:37 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Just think it would be better if US reinforcements spawned on the west coast rather than Hawaii, but obviously you gotta play with what you got.

I could be wrong but I have a vague memory of a version of this scenario that didn't have a west coast. It was just blue water and Pearl out there on the right edge of the map and so all the American reinforcements spawned at Pearl. Then there was a version, eventually, that DID have a west coast but the American reinforcements still spawned at Pearl and nobody thought it strange at the time. And three or four playtests later there hadn't been a problem so the spawn spot hasn't moved since the inception I guess. I agree that perhaps it would be best if American reinforcements spawned on the west coast just like they do in WITP-AE because of the possibility of the Japs to attack the west coast or Pearl or both. I think we just might need a change. And of course, we'd have to playtest the new version. I know of one guy whose arm you might not need to twist.

(in reply to Szilard)
Post #: 124
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/6/2018 6:47:06 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the view at Pakhoi where I'm attempting an amphibious assault on the port hex in order to try to get some people ashore to harrass the Japs and force them north.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 125
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/6/2018 6:53:12 AM   
larryfulkerson

I've got a couple of divisions sneaking up on the bridges over the river into Rangoon's area. If the ships support I think I can take Rangoon.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 126
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/6/2018 7:41:22 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a carrier air strike on the Commonwealth ships near the Maldives. I think I sank the BB.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 127
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/6/2018 8:05:15 AM   
larryfulkerson

I made some progress on the west coast of the PI and Manila fell from a one-dot attack with a lot of ship support. Now to hold it. If I can clean up the island of all it's partisans after I take down all the visible ones then I can release the troops for Singapore and Java and Rangoon.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 128
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/6/2018 8:26:21 AM   
larryfulkerson

I drove a small light SCTF down to the Maldives to see if I couldn't make a dent somehow and I sank an Allied CL and I think a couple of DD's and I lost 6 DD's and some damage to two of my CL's. Plus, the raid exposed another stack of 9 Commonwealth ships including a CV. On the way out of the area one of my DD's ran out of gas and will probably get creamed during Rob's turn. I think he's got enough MP's to go sink my ship and retreat all the way to Australia and I'll have to chase him.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 6/6/2018 8:28:32 AM >

Post #: 129
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/6/2018 8:38:47 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a quick and dirty strategic view and yeah, I know it's almost worthless. I'll work on a better one.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 130
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/6/2018 8:51:05 AM   
larryfulkerson

I got some more people ashore on the east coast of Malaya and that will help the take down a lot. I'd like to get this overwith by the next 20 turns or so. The PI is almost cleared so those people can come over here and take up positions on the west coast of Malaya.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 131
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/6/2018 8:56:13 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's all my battles this turn. Lots of good ones and a couple of not so good ones.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 132
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/8/2018 6:15:34 AM   
larryfulkerson

Rob ( warspite1 ) gave me permission to read pg 1 of his AAR so I've been pouring over it to gleen what INTEL I can get from the posts, what they say, what the pictures show, the "general feeling" of my opponent and it's the last thing that has a problem tinge. Rob is feeling like he's the victum of a cruel joke and he's the butt of the joke. He feels awful. It feels like it's not a fair match. so I sent him the following in a PM, email, and posted it from the bottom of page one on his AAR. I have yet to hear back.

Hey Rob:
You're probably feeling overwhelmed right now and it probably feels non-fun.
I've got an idea....let's restart with you as the Japs. You'll feel a lot
better. They have the edge for the first 18 months or so and then it starts
feeling "fair" . I'm flexible....we can switch sides if you'd like. We would
have to go back to sending files back and forth but we can do it. I was thinking
a restart with you as Japs might be easier for everybody long term.

Just trying to make it fun again for you.

friends,
larry

ps have a wonderful day

Edit: I heard back from Rob...he says the major problem is that "it doesn't feel as 'historical' or 'realistic' as I was hoping for". He says it is what it is and let's keep going. Works for me.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 6/8/2018 6:21:03 AM >

Post #: 133
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/8/2018 1:38:43 PM   
hingram

It's actually pretty close at this point in the war. Remember, we were preparing for California to be invaded when all the islands started falling. Most of the Commonwealth troops were in Europe and Africa. US did not have significant troops in the Pacific. Australia had to ask for support. Luckily for the US, The Japanese were initially focused on oil which was west. The Japanese enjoyed great success until June of 1942 and Midway.

An aggressive Japanese commander can really show their strength early in the war compared to the weakness of US forces. My father tried to enlist in Dec of 1941 and was sent home. The military didn't have the infrastructure to handle everyone who came forward. That's how unprepared we were.

Hank

If you aren't part of the solution, there is good money to be made prolonging the problem.

Post #: 134
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/8/2018 2:00:42 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: hingram
It's actually pretty close at this point in the war. Remember, we were preparing for California to be invaded when all the islands started falling. Most of the Commonwealth troops were in Europe and Africa. US did not have significant troops in the Pacific. Australia had to ask for support. Luckily for the US, The Japanese were initially focused on oil which was west. The Japanese enjoyed great success until June of 1942 and Midway.

An aggressive Japanese commander can really show their strength early in the war compared to the weakness of US forces. My father tried to enlist in Dec of 1941 and was sent home. The military didn't have the infrastructure to handle everyone who came forward. That's how unprepared we were.

Hey there Hank...long time no hear from. I hope all is well with you. Thanks for posting your background info and the story about your dad. Sorry about that, dad. Yeah, this scenario doesn't allow a lot of units or equipment for the Allied side and the Japs are bursting at the seams with troops and ships and planes and now that the US BB's are gone the Pacific is almost my private lake. With all the heavy guns and carriers I can take just about any island I want to.

I heard through the grapevine that there's some kind of raid planned on Hawaii to see what's there now and maybe sink something. And Alaska is a possible target. There's Jap ships up there sniffing around. It wouldn't take much to put some people in Dutch Harbor. I don't like the weather up there. In WITP-AE Dutch Harbor's harbor get's frozen over and during the winter there's no ship traffic of any kind except ice breakers and I don't remember ever seeing an icebreaker....I guess they didn't have them back then? Anybody know?

Also, Manila fell so now there's just mop up to be done in the PI and I still need to grab all those smaller islands around the Celebes down to Timor. I've got people on the west side of Sumatra complete with a port and a couple of airfields. Now to take over the rest of the island. Java is going to be next. Also, I've got people in Borneo so now the trick will be to storm the ports of Tarakan and Balikpapan.

Australia has come up in the conversation in my head lately. I'm self-debating whether and when to invade Australia to take over at most the northern coast, fly some planes down there. If that works then play it by ear for the east coast down to Melborne. I'll need 10 or 12 divisions for something like that so it feels like I need to decide whether to invade India or Australia because I can hardly do both, especially right now. Maybe after China has been mopped up and those troops can theoritally be released for other duties. But that's perhaps 6 months from now, maybe more. I'm pressing to achieve an engineer in a broken bridge hex right now near the border with Thailand and Burma I think it is. Where's Rangoon? Burma? Rob made sure to blow both bridges over the River Quai ( spelling ? ) into the surburbs of Rangoon. I see no defenders there but that means they are invisible yet.

I don't see a need to grab Ceylon at this time but it could come up after India is not a thing.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 6/8/2018 2:04:40 PM >

(in reply to hingram)
Post #: 135
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/9/2018 7:52:34 PM   
larryfulkerson

I drove a subchaser down to the Maldives to spy out the Commonwealth TF that I saw last turn and it's not there any more. It's moved to somewhere safer evidently. My DD running into it last turn has spooked the TF because he knows I know where it last was so I know it's within 400 hexes of there. Probably ran for Australia. So I need to go looking over there.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 6/9/2018 7:53:15 PM >

Post #: 136
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/9/2018 8:21:52 PM   
larryfulkerson

I found a division that wasn't doing anything so I thought I'd land them on the west coast of Malaya and see if I couldn't get the Singapore operation going faster. I'm hoping to get done in Malaya sometime in the next 20 turns or so because I have things in India I'd like to see about.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 137
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/9/2018 8:27:02 PM   
Szilard

Enjoying the AAR, thanks!

Do you know what the purpose of the "Replacement Squadron" equipment in air units is? I couldn't find anything in the scenario briefing.

Post #: 138
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/9/2018 8:40:50 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is the Rangoon area right now and I'm trying to get over a couple of bridges over the rivers between Burma and whatever country Rangoon is in ( Thailand? ). I thought I'd clear some hexes as a buffer for when the Allies start coming across the river using ferry engineers on pontoons. I need some people along the river to be a light screen for that remote possibility. I'm going to rail all the north China troops to Bangkok ( or sail them whichever is faster ) and get them ready for a march into India.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 139
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/9/2018 8:55:52 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Enjoying the AAR, thanks!

You're welcome. I could use a lot more advice if you've got an opinion about something. What would you like to see happen next? Anybody? I'm planning on heading west into India after a while, plus I'd like to sanitize the north coast of Australia and for supply up there I'm going to need some of their cities and ports. Once I've got all that done and everything is going smoothly and I don't need to micromanage quite so much ( right now it's a hurricane ) I'd like to go after Pearl. That might be impossiible that late in the game, maybe 6 months from now. I'm curious to see if Rob is going to start hitting back before then. If so I'll have to change my plans to adapt.

quote:

Do you know what the purpose of the "Replacement Squadron" equipment in air units is? I couldn't find anything in the scenario briefing.

Yeah, that's something new to me too. It's got a range of 1 and a DF of 11 so it's probably pretty much relegated to permanent CAP over the base and nothing else. And there's only one plane, always only one plane. Thomas Harvey is the scenario designer....maybe I should drop him a line and ask about it. The reasoning for it. Or you could ask him yourself: tah007(at)juno(dot)com

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 6/9/2018 8:59:01 PM >

Post #: 140
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/9/2018 9:05:27 PM   
larryfulkerson

I've sent my email....maybe we'll hear back sometime tomorrow or so.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 141
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/9/2018 9:14:59 PM   
larryfulkerson

I'm fighting the Chinese for the railroad that goes through that area and they don't want to give it up. So I'm still having to push and shove and repair the rail as I advance and I'm making slow progress but so far the supply levels are okie dokie except at the fringes and away from the rails and roads. I'm going to have to rotate the divisions to allow some of them to replace the tired ones frequently.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 142
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/9/2018 9:16:15 PM   
Szilard

Thanks, Larry.

Post #: 143
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/9/2018 9:23:57 PM   
larryfulkerson

Hot Dog...I found the AVG at last. they are hiding in the north of China and so I need to bring in some of my Mavricks and disappear that squadron. I think if I gang up on it and do some airfield strikes it might eventually go away. And then when it spawns I'll probably have to rinse and repeat but that's about a month after the first kill, and they might be replaced with rookies instead of veterans. I'll take az look around and see if I can't find some suitable squadrons for this little task.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 6/9/2018 9:25:35 PM >

(in reply to Szilard)
Post #: 144
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/9/2018 9:43:04 PM   
larryfulkerson

It turns out that I have 5 squadrons that would love to disappear the AVG. Unfortunately most of them are employed on a carrier and are therefore busy. I may have to drop back to the second line to replace the best ones briefly. Give some experience to the 2nd line people for a while. It might take a couple of turns to get these squadrons assembled in China because the ships are out of port right now and last I heard they were chasing a Commonwealth TF that included a CV in it and that's got priority over the AVG unless I can't find the TF, then the fighters would probably be available.

EDIT: Okay, I'll admit that I'm listening to Lynryd Skynrd in the background and it's playing "free bird" and yes I DO reset it to play the guitar solo over and over.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 6/9/2018 10:00:39 PM >

Post #: 145
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/9/2018 10:17:57 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a full report on the best fighter squadron in the air force on the Jap side. It's a mixed group air unit with 33 of the Zero's and 76 Claude's which are obsolete and should be used for training only and the best part is that it's available for use. It's parked in the south Celebes right now but I'm going to fly it up to northern China for the Red Flag games just prior to committing them to combat. I'd like them to get their first five missions under supervision so that when they go out for the real thing they will have a better idea what to do. It saves lives.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 6/9/2018 10:19:11 PM >

Post #: 146
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/10/2018 12:26:32 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what Thomas Harvey had to say about the replacement squadron in the air units:

Hi Larry

The replacement plane is in all air units to ensure that the air unit will be replaced. The replacement plane has no significant combat value. You will note that usually it is in the first position and is only 1 in volume. The game engine looks at the first piece of equipment in the unit to see if there is enough of that type of equipment in the pool to replace the unit. The pool has plenty of replacement aircraft to ensure the unit replaces since it only requires one. The game engine will add equipment of the other types if available. When you have more than one type of equipment like aircraft in a unit it is essential that all the equipment in the pool is made available. New types of aircraft are brought in to the same unit as they become available over time and the old ones fade away. It is not practical to keep bringing in different air units under the same unit designation for each type of new equipment. If there is little combat it does result in some duplication on an aircraft carrier air unit but in all other instances the old equipment is still available so should still be included.

A similar system is used for ground units. It should be standard procedure for all scenarios that have more than one type of equipment in the unit and you want it to be replaced and make use of what ever equipment is still available. A ground unit might have over two dozen types of equipment assigned to a division. In testing it works perfectly in all scenarios that have a ground or air unit replaced. Sea units do not need that since they usually have only one "BB New Jersey" in the inventory. Once it is sunk that is it. Some DD units can replace but they usually have one type of DD and some DD units do not replace if their types have none in inventory.

Tom

edit: Yeah, I know. I've read it twice now and I think it's sinking in. The unit itself has to have enough equipment in the pools to re-constitute it and it only needs one replacement squadron so it's automatically reconstatuted everytime it has an opportunity to do so because there's always ample replacement squadrons in the pools. Once the unit has reconstituted it tries to fill up the other equipment rows from the replacement pools ( "THE pools" ) as it is able. I think that's how it goes.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 6/10/2018 1:51:01 AM >

Post #: 147
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/10/2018 12:55:09 AM   
Szilard

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

The replacement plane is in all air units to ensure that the air unit will be replaced. The replacement plane has no significant combat value. You will note that usually it is in the first position and is only 1 in volume. The game engine looks at the first piece of equipment in the unit to see if there is enough of that type of equipment in the pool to replace the unit. The pool has plenty of replacement aircraft to ensure the unit replaces since it only requires one. The game engine will add equipment of the other types if available.

Thanks - interesting.

Post #: 148
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/10/2018 2:02:42 AM   
larryfulkerson

We're in the final stages of the mop up on the PI and all those units will be available for Rangoon or India or China, where ever they are needed at the time. I suppose I COULD let them rest for a turn first.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Szilard)
Post #: 149
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs - 6/10/2018 2:15:35 AM   
larryfulkerson

At first my goal(s) for northern China was just to grab the railroad from the Chinese and repair it and protect it thereafter, but I'm thinking right now that it might be better to just clear out all that territory once and for all and then when all the Communists are gone I can use the troops in India, where the fighting will probably already be going on.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 me Japs Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI