Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Appropriate Altitude for Sensors

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations >> The War Room >> Appropriate Altitude for Sensors Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Appropriate Altitude for Sensors - 5/25/2018 12:35:51 PM   
obrien979

I am trying to figure out the appropriate altitudes to have my ELINT/RECON/IMINT/SIGINT planes to fly in order for their sensors to work efficiently. Is there a way to determine which altitude is the best looking at the DB?

Thank You

v/r,

Brandon O'Brien
Post #: 1
RE: Appropriate Altitude for Sensors - 5/25/2018 10:34:05 PM   
Primarchx

Typically as high as possible for that role to get the best LOS horizon (often 500nm for ESM sets).

(in reply to obrien979)
Post #: 2
RE: Appropriate Altitude for Sensors - 5/26/2018 5:37:04 AM   
NimrodX

Heh, I usually just give them no specific altitude and let the simulated pilots figure it out. If it's a dedicated support plane I think they just fly as high as they can.

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 3
RE: Appropriate Altitude for Sensors - 5/26/2018 10:10:26 PM   
Cik

depends a great deal on the sensor. MAD ~ under 1000 feet generally. surface radars trade in search range vs strength depending on altitude, air radars generally as high as they can for greater over-horizon search, EO on the same side of the clouds as the thing you are trying to detect, sonar - on the same side of the layer of what you are trying to detect (unless worried about counterdetection or have TASS)

for visual recon you want to be as close as you can but you must counterbalance this with a tendency to get shot by hiding units below a certain altitude. also you have to juggle fuel consumption, that is the lower you are the faster you're going to chew through your mission fuel and have to go home or hit a tanker somewhere (which is it's own issue)

best way to figure it out is to take a specific sensor and go try it out.

(in reply to NimrodX)
Post #: 4
RE: Appropriate Altitude for Sensors - 5/26/2018 11:44:53 PM   
Primarchx

The devs have mentioned that max altitude is not always optimal for some search radars.

(in reply to Cik)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations >> The War Room >> Appropriate Altitude for Sensors Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI