Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game runs very slowly

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Game runs very slowly Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game runs very slowly - 4/29/2018 6:07:10 PM   
sjharrison1

I'm running WITP latest version on a Windows 10 (latest update) 64-bit machine. I find the game runs slower than it did when I used to play on a Windows 7 32-bit machine.
It also scrolls slowly and repsonds slowly to mouse clicks. Very frustrating. Any tips to improve performance will be greatly appreciated.

Ive already set game notification delay to be as fast as possible.
Post #: 1
RE: Game runs very slowly - 4/29/2018 7:14:02 PM   
Admiral DadMan

Are you running it in Windowed Mode or Full Screen?

< Message edited by Admiral DadMan -- 4/29/2018 7:25:33 PM >

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to sjharrison1)
Post #: 2
RE: Game runs very slowly - 4/29/2018 7:19:26 PM   
BBfanboy

There are a large number of threads on this part of the forum dealing with Win 10 issues and switches needed to get the game to run properly.

Try starting here : http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4405264

Be sure to follow Kovar's link if you do not know what switches are or how to format them and where to put them. He provides visuals.

There are also other threads here about screen bleed-through graphics issues, if you are having that problem.

Read a few of these threads so that you know what you want to do and if you still have problems, post again with screenshots showing the problem so specific advice can be offered.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 3
RE: Game runs very slowly - 4/29/2018 7:19:58 PM   
sjharrison1

yes

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 4
RE: Game runs very slowly - 4/29/2018 7:46:07 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: sjharrison1

yes

yes? Yes what?

If you are running the game FULL SCREEN (not -w) then go to this post.

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Post #: 5
RE: Game runs very slowly - 4/29/2018 10:11:22 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: sjharrison1

yes

yes? Yes what?

If you are running the game FULL SCREEN (not -w) then go to this post.

I doubt he is familiar with switches and such, and your post originally said Windowed Mode of Full Screen, so he may not have understood your question.

sjh1: About my advice to post a screen shot - you need at least 10 posts on the forum before it will let you do that. Just a limitation to stop trolls who want to post advertising or other garbage. For now just describe what steps you have taken to try and solve the issue and then what you need help with. There are several steps involved and it may be best to solve each problem one at a time because solutions to some issues can cause other problems depending on your particular system.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 6
RE: Game runs very slowly - 5/2/2018 2:05:39 PM   
m10bob

I copy/pasted this line to the end of the shortcut properties .exe title and it works PERFECT!!!

( -cpu3 -dd_sw -deepColor -px1920 -py1080 )

Got this from our friend Oliver Heindorf

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7
RE: Game runs very slowly - 5/2/2018 2:15:42 PM   
HansBolter

its the -deepColor switch that seems to have the greatest effect on Win10 systems running the game slowly.

Hans

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 8
RE: Game runs very slowly - 5/5/2018 4:32:09 AM   
sjharrison1

How do I set my game to run in windowed mode instead of full screen?

Post #: 9
RE: Game runs very slowly - 5/5/2018 5:28:12 AM   
BBfanboy

Just add the -w switch. You may have to adjust the resolution via -px and -py switches to get it to fit almost full screen.

Post #: 10
RE: Game runs very slowly - 7/14/2018 4:04:10 PM   
gmsitton

I had a bout of madness and decided to start up a new full campaign against the AI. I experienced the constipated computer problem mention by the OP.

My laptop is over 3 years old, but is an i7 with a native resolution of 3200x1800 on a 15in screen.

I was running 1126a.

I downloaded and installed 1126b.

After hours of trying different switch combinations I came up with changing the graphics to 1920x1080 (being sure to reboot) and using -altFont -cpu2 -multiaudio -deepColor -dd_sw.
No -f, -w, -px, or -py. I tried various iterations of -w and when clicking on a base, the industry line would always be buried, although I would get a wide screen window.

While I'd rather have the wide screen, the square block in the middle is acceptable. The game runs like a screaming beast with its tail on fire. The previous laptop I played on would take 20-30 minutes to run a turn, and the original laptop I used when the game came out would require an hour or more. With the new setup, a turn cranks out in a few minutes. Whoop whoop!

I'll probably try out different resolution and switch combinations, but the above seems stable so far.

ETA: switch list on one line...

-altFont -cpu2 -multiaudio -deepColor -dd_sw

< Message edited by gmsitton -- 3/11/2019 1:54:52 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 11
RE: Game runs very slowly - 7/14/2018 11:22:05 PM   
Anachro

-dd_sw is the difference between my game running very slowly and normal on win10

(in reply to gmsitton)
Post #: 12
RE: Game runs very slowly - 7/15/2018 3:08:32 AM   
gmsitton

Thank you for the advice. I'll give it a try, although I recall the cpu switch being important, too, for Intel chipsets. I know the other items are for graphics and sound. Speaking of which, do get Win10 bleed through when the Win 10 focus assist kicks in, but is usually cleared by pressing escape button.

I'm a zero dark thirty sort, so it's lights out after I walk the perimeter. I'm about half-way through Allies Dec 8 turn. I'll finish it tomorrow and run the turn, then play with the switches again. I really would like to get that full screen window, but without the buried bottom bit.

I could swear the last laptop would run a full screen, but it was much slower, and has been converted to Linux distros, regardless.

Thank you to everyone who posted in this thread and others on the subject. I wouldn't have been able to get the game working without it.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Game runs very slowly Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI