Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ground Pounders question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Command: The Silent Service >> Ground Pounders question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ground Pounders question - 4/29/2018 11:27:29 AM   
MrDave

First, I am a fairly new player that has played through all four of the sub tutorials successfully. It took me many attempts to master the fourth but I got it.
With the Ground Pounders scen:
1. Ashleigh is taken out almost immediately regardless of how I approach the launch point if I intend to reach it by 2300Z.
2. TLAMs won't launch at all: regardless of the depth(-160 or-131).
3. I have reloaded each TLAM and allocated each of the three in Miami to a single target. Closed the box. No launch.
4. I get a gray message line saying something to the effect: missile won't launch because it's not auto-targeted and it's dropped from the list.
5. Adcaps will fire which brings down hellfire. I fired these to see if there was some sort of bug.

What am I missing here?

In Him,
MrDave
TOAW OOBP PC ATG CoH
Post #: 1
RE: Ground Pounders question - 4/29/2018 3:47:33 PM   
DWReese

Mr. Dave,

I'll try to help, but I may end up revealing some play tips, so if you you don't want to see some things that could be construed as "spoilers" stop reading now. Most of this is obvious, however.

First off, and this is the most important, the scenario has a special INI file that needs to be loaded in order for everything to work properly. Update your scenario to the latest database, even if it says that you are already using the proper database. The THIRD BOX says APPLY INI FILE. Check that box, and a window will appear that asks you where to find the INI file. You will see all of he scenarios in Silent Service and one of the Ground Pounders files is an INI file. Select that one and click OK. Then click on the Rebuild the scenario button. You will receive a message that it is completed and is now ready to play. ******VERY IMPORTANT INFO: It is important to note that many/most scenarios have INI files, so this is a procedure that you will need to know and use often. INI files enable the scenario designer to create and keep things, even when the database changes later on. These are important, and you MUST know how to do this for future scenarios.******After a few seconds, your scenario should work properly. If you haven't done this, then go do this without reading the rest of this message. Try the scenario using the proper set up. If you have already done this, then read the rest of the message for tips.

After updating the INI file, we're ready to proceed. If you notice, Iran's posture to the USN Navy is "unfriendly", but not hostile, so you should be able to advance as fast as you want without being fired upon.

After reaching the designated areas (both subs should both arrive at about the same time), then make sure that you obtain your authorization code using the Special Action. Click on the Special Action button, and then click on the Execute button. Without it, you will not be able to fire. Upon executing that action, you will receive a notice that you can now fire.

The Iranians will no doubt be all around you when you get on station. It is likely that you will be able to fire away, but they will retaliate as soon as possible, and you will be killed. So, if you use some of the extra time that you saved by racing to the two areas, use that to now slip away from the immediate area. You should be able to "know" about where your enemy is. After you distance your self from the Iranian ships (and helos), you can fire your missiles, and then make your escape to the south.

I really think that your problem stemmed from not updating your ini file.

Hopefully, this will help you. If not, feel free to ask for some more help. I didn't think that the scenario was that difficult, but that doesn't mean that I immediately defeated it. <g>

Doug

(in reply to MrDave)
Post #: 2
RE: Ground Pounders question - 4/29/2018 8:58:55 PM   
MrDave

Thank you Doug.
First of all, I never really understood about updating the INI file. I'm techy enough that I should have though. A case of tunnel vision I suppose.
Now as to the actual scenario:
1. Never paid attention to the posture before and it's implications. I will now, though.
2. It never dawned on me that I could/should launch from another location other than the point on the map.

Now back to the game...many thanks.

In Him,
MrDave
TOAW OOBP PC ATG CoH

(in reply to MrDave)
Post #: 3
RE: Ground Pounders question - 4/29/2018 9:35:05 PM   
apache85

quote:

ORIGINAL: DWReese

Mr. Dave,

I'll try to help, but I may end up revealing some play tips, so if you you don't want to see some things that could be construed as "spoilers" stop reading now. Most of this is obvious, however.

First off, and this is the most important, the scenario has a special INI file that needs to be loaded in order for everything to work properly. Update your scenario to the latest database, even if it says that you are already using the proper database. The THIRD BOX says APPLY INI FILE. Check that box, and a window will appear that asks you where to find the INI file. You will see all of he scenarios in Silent Service and one of the Ground Pounders files is an INI file. Select that one and click OK. Then click on the Rebuild the scenario button. You will receive a message that it is completed and is now ready to play. ******VERY IMPORTANT INFO: It is important to note that many/most scenarios have INI files, so this is a procedure that you will need to know and use often. INI files enable the scenario designer to create and keep things, even when the database changes later on. These are important, and you MUST know how to do this for future scenarios.******After a few seconds, your scenario should work properly. If you haven't done this, then go do this without reading the rest of this message. Try the scenario using the proper set up. If you have already done this, then read the rest of the message for tips.

After updating the INI file, we're ready to proceed. If you notice, Iran's posture to the USN Navy is "unfriendly", but not hostile, so you should be able to advance as fast as you want without being fired upon.

After reaching the designated areas (both subs should both arrive at about the same time), then make sure that you obtain your authorization code using the Special Action. Click on the Special Action button, and then click on the Execute button. Without it, you will not be able to fire. Upon executing that action, you will receive a notice that you can now fire.

The Iranians will no doubt be all around you when you get on station. It is likely that you will be able to fire away, but they will retaliate as soon as possible, and you will be killed. So, if you use some of the extra time that you saved by racing to the two areas, use that to now slip away from the immediate area. You should be able to "know" about where your enemy is. After you distance your self from the Iranian ships (and helos), you can fire your missiles, and then make your escape to the south.

I really think that your problem stemmed from not updating your ini file.

Hopefully, this will help you. If not, feel free to ask for some more help. I didn't think that the scenario was that difficult, but that doesn't mean that I immediately defeated it. <g>

Doug

There shouldn't be any reason to run an .ini file on this or any other scenario in The Silent Service. I've checked the loadouts in the current release version and they are exactly as designed.

The Miami and the Asheville are both carrying 3 x UGM-109C TLAMs in their torpedo tubes (as well as an ADCAP in the fourth for self defense), 12 x TLAMs in their VLS (6 each of UGM-109C and UGM-109D) as well as 3 x UGM-109D in their torpedo racks waiting to replace the 3 109Cs fired from the tubes (see the suggestion under Logistics in the briefing).

Your description of the problem makes me think that there is a firing criteria that is not being met. Would you be able to post a save and I can tell you exactly what the issue is?

If you have issues attaching a save to this sub-forum you can send it to me via PM.

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 4
RE: Ground Pounders question - 4/29/2018 11:28:31 PM   
MrDave

1. I loaded TLAM-D to take out the SAMs.
2. Launch depth was set to -160 at creep.
3. Ctrl-F1 to allocate the weapon.
4. No launch.
5. Used F1 to launch automatically and got the message in the attached image.

Attachment (1)

In Him,
MrDave
TOAW OOBP PC ATG CoH

(in reply to apache85)
Post #: 5
RE: Ground Pounders question - 4/30/2018 12:11:15 AM   
apache85

quote:

ORIGINAL: apache85

Your description of the problem makes me think that there is a firing criteria that is not being met. Would you be able to post a save and I can tell you exactly what the issue is?

If you have issues attaching a save to this sub-forum you can send it to me via PM.

(in reply to apache85)
Post #: 6
RE: Ground Pounders question - 4/30/2018 12:38:32 AM   
MrDave

To get my TLAMs to launch, I have had to go into the WCS and WRA settings. Is this the normal course of action? I would have thought that the authority should have come from on high.

In Him,
MrDave
TOAW OOBP PC ATG CoH

(in reply to apache85)
Post #: 7
RE: Ground Pounders question - 4/30/2018 1:15:01 AM   
apache85

No. If you can post a save I can tell you what the problem is.

(in reply to MrDave)
Post #: 8
RE: Ground Pounders question - 4/30/2018 3:51:10 AM   
DWReese

Hi Rory,

You are the sub expert, so I'm glad that you chimed in.

Regarding the INI file update, many people don't know anything about INI files, so I thought that I would share the instructions as to how it is done so that it could be applied to this, and any other scenario, when necessary.

I often find, especially with older scenarios, that I forget to check for a new INI and halfway through the scenario I realize that the scenario needed an INI update, so I have to re-start the whole scenario all over again.

The INI files upgrade procedure (as you know), if needed, is really pretty easy to use and that was my first thought a trying to solve his issue.

But, the expert (you) is here now, so I'll step aside.

Doug

(in reply to apache85)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Command: The Silent Service >> Ground Pounders question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI