Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Task Force Hawk

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Task Force Hawk Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Task Force Hawk - 4/22/2018 12:48:12 PM   
SeaQueen

During the final phases of Operation Allied Force, the allied air forces were having difficulty attacking the Serbian Army (JV) on account of bad weather, poor target discrimination, and a successful campaign of dispersion, camouflage and deception on the part of the JV. In response, it was proposed to use AH-64 Apache helicopters in a deep attack role to attack JV elements such as headquarters units and artillery. The assembled task force was ultimately never employed in an offensive role, on account of problems deploying and NATO's lack of success drawing down the Serbian SAMS.

Even though Task Force Hawk was never employed the way it was originally intended, I figured it'd be a fun Command scenario because it deals with Army aviation and artillery, which makes it different, it's fairly contemporary (1999) and there's a fair bit of data out there to support scenario development. It also gives me a chance to play with ATACMs, which is one of my favorite Army systems. The experience there influenced a lot of subsequent Army thinking, including the move towards lighter, more "deployable" forces and eventually lead to the Army's Deep Strike program.

I've made a lot of progress with this one, but I've had some problems with it, though. I'm not sure how to represent "Fat Cow" operations where they'd take a Chinook with some fuel bladders aboard, along with a security force, set up a forward area refueling point (FARP) and gas up there. Given the distance between Tirana and the Serbian-Albanian border, you really need that capability, even with the Apache's carrying external tanks. It's essentially the Army's equivalent to midair refueling. How would you guys handle that one?

Counter battery radars were important in this one, and eventually even though they never set the helicopters on the artillery, the data from them was incorporated into the Air Tasking Order (ATO) process, and the allied air forces were finally able to successfully target the JV artillery. Are those up and running yet?

I'm also trying to find good Serbian land order of battles for that period, and what the various units in Kosovo region might have looked light? I'm assuming they're basically Soviet style, but that might not be accurate. I also am not certain what the Kosovar-Albanian (KFOR) forces might have looked like. Is there any data out there?

Also, reloading the MRLS system is going to be a challenge. According to the Task Force Hawk original plan, MRLS w/ATACMS was supposed to be used in the SEAD role ahead of the Apaches to strike mobile and fixed SAM sites. Each MRLS system gets 2 shots. That means you've got to use Chinooks to bring more ATACMS from Tirana to the forward operating base (FOB) in order to extend the ATACMS as deeply into the country as possible for anything more than a few shots. Will the MRLS units automatically reload if I use the cargo feature to bring them up?

< Message edited by SeaQueen -- 4/22/2018 1:41:22 PM >
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Task Force Hawk Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI