Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cavalry vs. artillery

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> Cavalry vs. artillery Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cavalry vs. artillery - 4/20/2018 4:32:17 PM   
Damascus

Rereading John Keegan's book "The Face of Battle" and he discusses how, at Waterloo, artillery was usually placed in front of the infantry. When cavalry would come up the gunners would run into a nearby infantry square while the cavalry were unable to do anything with the guns as they were not going to dismount and try to drag them off. In SOWW cavalry capture guns rather easily. Is there a way to mimic the real behavior? Possibly a mod that takes this into account?
Post #: 1
RE: Cavalry vs. artillery - 4/21/2018 7:45:49 AM   
Biondo

Hi Damascus, this is not possible AFAIK because guns are considered a single unit and not handled by a different crew unit

(in reply to Damascus)
Post #: 2
RE: Cavalry vs. artillery - 5/12/2018 8:01:44 PM   
Damascus

I see that in the Quatre Bras DLC it says, "Removed the ability for cavalry to capture and bring enemy guns into action."

(in reply to Biondo)
Post #: 3
RE: Cavalry vs. artillery - 5/13/2018 2:52:31 AM   
1annoyedgamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Damascus

I see that in the Quatre Bras DLC it says, "Removed the ability for cavalry to capture and bring enemy guns into action."

Yes, but it still doesn't do what you want to simulate. If cavalry captures artillery now they are simply removed from play, guns and all. And the cavalry unit still gets the points for capturing the guns.
The best way to protect artillery from cavalry is to place the battery between two infantry squares, with the squares out in front ahead of the guns. This does two things, first, by spacing the squares out so that the guns are in between them, the guns maintain an effective and open field of fire. And 2nd, by moving the squares forward of the artillery cavalry cannot charge the guns. This is because there is no way to choose a specific target with cavalry, it simply charges the nearest unit in range. If the squares are out ahead of the artillery, they will always be the nearest target to the cavalry, hence the cavalry cannot charge the guns. The guns will however plow them with close range canister fire.

You can see this technique demonstrated in my video on the scenario "Mont St Jean: Sabers vs. Bayonets"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-t_O2ghDFU

(in reply to Damascus)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> Cavalry vs. artillery Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI