Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/8/2018 11:10:43 AM   
sapper32

So im playing as the ARVN/Free world forces against the PO, My initial plan is to call in a few US brigades to try to contain the VC as they are already active in a few areas and the ARVN forces available are struggling to hunt down and destroy the VC.
The ARVN Infantry Divisions that are available have spread out to try and protect the victory hex's while the ARVN Rangers and Para's take to the jungle to trp and destroy the VC.
Ive called up the US 12th Aviation Grp,US 5th Mech Bde and the 173rd Airborne to secure the Saigon area and help deal with the VC, A couple of turns later i called up the 2nd Air Division to support all operations and interdict VC activity the down side of this call up is the NVA 308th Division has crossed the DMZ and attacked Quang Tri thankfuly
i had positioned the ARVN 1st Division to protect the city which held back the NVA and ARVN counter attacks have heavily damaged the NVA

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/8/2018 11:17:02 AM   
sapper32

Saigon has been reinforced with the US 5th Mech and the 173rd Airborne who are helping ARVN forces with search and destroy missions in Kien Tuong and Kien Phuong provinces the operations so far have trapped and destroyed two VC battalions.
The US 5th Mech may need to be shipped to Quang Tri province to deal with the NVA while 12th Aviation and 173rd remain near Saigon

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 2
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/8/2018 11:21:21 AM   
larryfulkerson

Subscribed. You won't run across it but I was in the
19th TASS squadron who flew A-37's and OV-10's in a
FAC role. I'm really interested in your game. Thanks
for doing an AAR for it.

"Jesus Christ." [ pause while realization spreads across the CIA directors face ] "That's Jason Borne."

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 3
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/8/2018 1:51:55 PM   
700851McCall

This scenario is next in my list to tackle after D21. I've played it once before about 10 years ago on the old version. It's masterpiece of design IMO and really gives the correct 'feel' for the conflict.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 4
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/8/2018 4:23:16 PM   
devoncop

Sapper32

Thanks so much for doing an AAR with this scenario. It has the grand operational feel I like but being outside my WW2 comfort zone I will be eagerly watching how you tackle it. I love the two very different sides having to use very different tactics.

Best of luck

Ian

< Message edited by devoncop -- 4/9/2018 11:57:32 AM >

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

(in reply to 700851McCall)
Post #: 5
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/9/2018 9:58:13 AM   
sapper32

Thanks for reading guys more to come later, I need to decide about relocating 5th Mech North to I Corps area to deal with the NVA or call up another US unit but I don't want the conflict to escalate to rapidly

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 6
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/9/2018 10:23:48 AM   
MikeJ19

Sapper32,

I agree with Devoncop. Good luck and we will be following your AAR.

Mike

Retired Gunner

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 7
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/9/2018 12:01:46 PM   
devoncop

quote:

ORIGINAL: sapper32

Thanks for reading guys more to come later, I need to decide about relocating 5th Mech North to I Corps area to deal with the NVA or call up another US unit but I don't want the conflict to escalate to rapidly

Hi

Am I right in thinking that choosing to take more US troops early increases the chances of more NVA regular troops being available to Uncle Ho or is it just a negative VP modifier?

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 8
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/9/2018 7:45:54 PM   
sapper32

quote:

ORIGINAL: devoncop

quote:

ORIGINAL: sapper32

Hi

Am I right in thinking that choosing to take more US troops early increases the chances of more NVA regular troops being available to Uncle Ho or is it just a negative VP modifier?

Yes i think your correct the more troops you call up the more NLF/NVA troops enter the conflict and the earlier you will have to withdraw them which is why im going to try to have a gradual call up of US ground forces so that i can maintain US troops towards the later parts of the scenario

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 9
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/9/2018 7:50:26 PM   
sapper32

US Turn 5 Monsoon

I Corps area the NVA 308th Division continues to cross the DMZ despite the loss of one of there mech regiments to a succesfull counter attack by ARVN 1st Division who now digs in and awaits the US 5th Mech who i have decided to move north.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 10
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/9/2018 8:12:26 PM   
sapper32

US Turn 5

III Corps Area The US 5th Mech has been withdrawn to the port in Gia Dinh province to be shipped north.In Tay Ninh province US forces from 173rd AB and ARVN rangers have trapped the VC 271st Regt however the VC remain in place inflicting 13% losses for 23%

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 11
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/9/2018 8:18:24 PM   
sapper32

US Turn 5

IV Corps Area Phong Dinh province is a hotbed of VC activity as a political section and the VC 63rd Regiment approch Chan Tho, The ARVN Paras of 1st Bde asisted by ARVN Rangers trap and destroy both VC units for little loss apart from USAF warplanes that suffered 15% losses i guess i should restrict them to interdiction missions during Monsoon

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 12
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/9/2018 11:19:19 PM   
John B.

I'm signing on to follow this one! Thanks for doing it!

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 13
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/10/2018 5:49:50 AM   
devoncop

Interesting the VC units, even though nominally weak and sometimes surrounded still pack a reasonable punch...are they getting bonuses at all in the monsoon or particular terrain?

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 14
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/10/2018 10:20:19 PM   
sapper32

Not sure if they get a bonus I will have to check the scenario notes,I know that supply drops and airpower are reduced ive grounded my airforce apart from some AS missions and Interdiction they are at about a quarter of there establishment at the moment.
quote:

ORIGINAL: devoncop

Interesting the VC units, even though nominally weak and sometimes surrounded still pack a reasonable punch...are they getting bonuses at all in the monsoon or particular terrain?

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 15
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/10/2018 10:22:50 PM   
sapper32

US Turn 6 I Corps AO

The US 5th Mech Bde has arrived at Quang Tri and taken up defensive positions while the ARVN 1st Division Arty shell the NVA

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 16
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/10/2018 10:29:10 PM   
sapper32

US Turn 6 III Corps AO

VC units continue there activity while ARVN forces search the countryside,In Kien Tuong province the ARVN Paras and Rangers destroy a VC company and in Tay Ninh province the VC 271st Regt is finished off after heavy shelling

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 17
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/10/2018 10:39:07 PM   
sapper32

US Turn 6

Ive not called up anymore US Units I will try and keep a lid on things with the forces I have at my disposal but I don't think this will be easy as ive only got 2 US Brigades plus the 12th Aviation Group and the 2nd Air Division which is vastly under strength most squadrons have only 4 of 16 allotted aircraft, The main ARVN units available to me are 1 Brigade of Paras and 1 Brigade of Marines plus about a dozen Ranger battalions.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 18
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/10/2018 11:08:00 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

I've not called up anymore US Units; I will try and keep a lid on things with the forces I have at my disposal but I don't think this will be easy as I've only got 2 US Brigades plus the 12th Aviation Group and the 2nd Air Division which is vastly under strength most squadrons have only 4 of 16 allotted aircraft, The main ARVN units available to me are 1 Brigade of Paras and 1 Brigade of Marines plus about a dozen Ranger battalions.

I've found the ARVN Rangers are really useful if you've got the helicopter assets to move them. They
can defend themselves and they can be flown to the most useful spot and fight from there. They can
surround and dispatch VC and NVA as well with a little support for the latter. The Rangers combined
with some competent CS can pack a punch almost anywhere on the map within a turn or two.

Have you started bombing the AA units on the Ho Chi Minh Trail yet? Are you going to?

Have you considered bombing Hanoi?

"Jesus Christ." [ pause while realization spreads across the CIA directors face ] "That's Jason Borne."

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 19
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/11/2018 2:14:36 PM   
sapper32

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

quote:

I've not called up anymore US Units; I will try and keep a lid on things with the forces I have at my disposal but I don't think this will be easy as I've only got 2 US Brigades plus the 12th Aviation Group and the 2nd Air Division which is vastly under strength most squadrons have only 4 of 16 allotted aircraft, The main ARVN units available to me are 1 Brigade of Paras and 1 Brigade of Marines plus about a dozen Ranger battalions.

I've found the ARVN Rangers are really useful if you've got the helicopter assets to move them. They
can defend themselves and they can be flown to the most useful spot and fight from there. They can
surround and dispatch VC and NVA as well with a little support for the latter. The Rangers combined
with some competent CS can pack a punch almost anywhere on the map within a turn or two.

Have you started bombing the AA units on the Ho Chi Minh Trail yet? Are you going to?

Have you considered bombing Hanoi?

Not considered Strategic bombing yet but will start hitting targets on the trail and elsewhere once my aircraft numbers ate up and the monsoon stops it's not worth the losses for poor results at the moment, I'm thinking of calling up an airmobile division but I guess once I do that more VC/NVA will show up, I believe I get some more ARVN Paras and Marines soon so let's see how it goes

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 20
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/12/2018 9:28:52 PM   
sapper32

US Turn 7 I Corps AO

The NVA are still holding positions in Quang Tri Province and are within striking distance of Quang Tri City,The US 5th Mech are now fully deployed and along with ARVN 1st Div they shell the NVA in preparation for an attack

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 21
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/12/2018 9:34:12 PM   
sapper32

Turn 7

The VC 50th Battalion has been discovered and trapped by units of the ARVN 25th Division,The ARVN use Arty to soften up the VC supported by units of the US 7th Fleet before attacking and destroying the VC

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 22
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/12/2018 9:40:40 PM   
sapper32

Turn 7 III Corps AO

VC are spotted operating 10km west of Tay Ninh city and are surrounded and engaged by US and ARVN forces,USAF fighter bombers lend there support and the VC battalion is destroyed for minimal losses.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sapper32 -- 4/12/2018 9:41:17 PM >

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 23
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/16/2018 9:53:10 PM   
sapper32

US Turn 8 I Corps AO

The NVA 308th Division is still active in Quang Tri province which is being defended by the ARVN 1st Div and the US 5th Mech Bde, I will go on the offensive against the NVA when my airpower has increased a bit.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 24
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/16/2018 10:07:02 PM   
sapper32

US Turn 8 IV Corps AO

There is plenty of VC activity in IV Corps Area of Operations with VC units in BA XUYEN, VINH BINH, KIEN HOA, GO CONG, KIEN PHONG and CHAU DOC provinces US Airmobile units along with ARVN Rangers and PARA's are struggling to control the Delta area, The US 173rd Airmobile is resting at the moment but will be available next turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 25
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/22/2018 9:17:47 AM   
sapper32

US Turn 9

The VC are stepping up there activity the US and ARVN are struggling to counter this threat my air force is still very weak however with the monsoon over it will be used to assist the ground forces.
In IV Corps area the ARVN and US forces are engaged in counter gurilla operations in Phuong Dinh,Kien Hoa and Kien Tuong provinces destroying 2 VC battalions and a political section that should restore some VPs

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 26
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/22/2018 9:31:26 AM   
sapper32

US Turn 9 I Corps AO

The US 5th Mech Bde with support from the ARVN 1st Division sets about destroying the NVA 36th Regiment to secure its flank before planning operations to engage and destroy the bulk of the NVA 308th Division,After two rounds of airstrikes and Arty bombardments the attack goes ahead and although the NVA are destroyed the US losses are quite high.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 27
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/22/2018 5:34:48 PM   
sapper32

US Turn 10 I Corps AO

After the heavy losses suffered last turn the US 5th Mech Bde is on the defensive for now i think i will call up the US 11th ACR to provide some more steel to fight the NVA, In Thua Thien province the ARVN 1st Division with heavy Combat support from the USN and USAF destroy a VC battalion that has been causing some problems for the locals.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sapper32 -- 4/22/2018 5:35:47 PM >

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 28
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/22/2018 5:51:52 PM   
sapper32

US Turn 10 III Corps AO

VC activity is spreading as a VC battalion threatens Phan Thiet in Binh Thuan province, The US 173rd Airborne is transported by Helo and after several airstrikes and a ground assault they destroy the VC, After there victory the 173rd patrol along route 1 towards Xuan Loc in Long Khanh province and are ambushed by another VC units airstrikes are called in although 3 A1 Skyraiders are shot down.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 29
RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO - 4/22/2018 6:04:34 PM   
sapper32

US Turn 11 October 1965

The US 11th ACR has arrived in theatre and will be used initialy in Quang Tri province to help the 5th Mech Bde destroy the NVA 308th Division after which it will be deployed where needed, Lets see if the VC steps up its activity in response to this call up ? I am not planning to call up any more US ground units until at least 1966

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sapper32 -- 4/22/2018 6:09:15 PM >

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI