Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bay of Bengal 1999 AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> After Action Report >> Bay of Bengal 1999 AAR Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bay of Bengal 1999 AAR - 3/25/2018 7:07:32 AM   
IICptMillerII

Hello everyone! I started an AAR of the Bay of Bengal 1999 scenario over on Grogheads. It has come to its conclusion, and I thought I would post the AAR here as well, having just made an account with Matrix. Unfortunately I cannot post links yet as my account is so young, but if you go to the Digital AAR section of the Grogheads forums you will see it. Its one hell of an AAR, with my carrier task force going up against every threat that it can encounter, aerial, surface and subsurface. Its a crazy ride!
Post #: 1
RE: Bay of Bengal 1999 AAR - 3/25/2018 12:44:54 PM   
mikkey

Nice detailed AAR, thanks! -> C:MANO AAR: Bay of Bengal 1999

(in reply to IICptMillerII)
Post #: 2
RE: Bay of Bengal 1999 AAR - 3/26/2018 12:51:04 AM   
IICptMillerII

Thanks for posting the link!

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 3
RE: Bay of Bengal 1999 AAR - 3/26/2018 12:53:14 AM   
Deathtreader

Great AAR!!

Thanks for a exciting read!

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

Post #: 4
RE: Bay of Bengal 1999 AAR - 3/26/2018 10:30:57 AM   
IICptMillerII

Glad you enjoyed it! I think it came out pretty well for my first official AAR. It ended up taking longer than I had planned, and as a result was also a longer AAR than I wanted, but I think it was worth it. The scenario kept throwing me curveballs so I think most were entertained the whole way through despite the length.

If anyone has and feedback, be it tactical or technical, please feel free to share! Always looking to improve.

(in reply to Deathtreader)
Post #: 5
RE: Bay of Bengal 1999 AAR - 3/26/2018 1:37:34 PM   
Andrea G

Very nice indeed, good read.

The only thing I would have done differently, is setting up and ASW Patrol Mission around the Nimitz TF, with EMCON passive; I do it as a standard practice at start of every scenario involving a carrier.

Post #: 6
RE: Bay of Bengal 1999 AAR - 3/26/2018 8:56:11 PM   
IICptMillerII

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrea G

Very nice indeed, good read.

The only thing I would have done differently, is setting up and ASW Patrol Mission around the Nimitz TF, with EMCON passive; I do it as a standard practice at start of every scenario involving a carrier.

I set up two ASW helo patrols to clear the ocean in front of the carrier that ran for the duration of the battle. Not sure if I made mention of them though in the AAR. My apologies for the omission.

(in reply to Andrea G)
Post #: 7
RE: Bay of Bengal 1999 AAR - 3/28/2018 12:32:02 PM   
giantsquid

Thanks for your great work. I really appreciate your final thought and the explanations.
The Indian navy is now very well equipped, probably the fight would be even fiercer now.

Post #: 8
RE: Bay of Bengal 1999 AAR - 3/29/2018 12:20:18 AM   
Gunner98

Really great AAR. Thanks for posting it.

I think your observations on the CVBG vs the CSG are spot on. The USN doesn't really have anything yet to replace the TASM, although there is another maritime strike version in development I think.

I have found the only way to make old Harpoons work is to surround them with jammers and lead with HARMs, it gives them half a chance, sometimes.

Thanks. I look forward to the next one.

(in reply to giantsquid)
Post #: 9
RE: Bay of Bengal 1999 AAR - 3/29/2018 6:08:24 AM   
IICptMillerII

quote:

ORIGINAL: giantsquid

Thanks for your great work. I really appreciate your final thought and the explanations.
The Indian navy is now very well equipped, probably the fight would be even fiercer now.

Thanks! I thought some kind of post combat review was in order, giving how much happened during the battle. I also thought it would help explain why things happened the way they did, such as not being able to attack the enemy airfields, etc.

A quick note on the Indian navy, for this scenario they were "buffed" up quite a bit. The briefing says as much. They get extra aircraft from both the Russians and the Chinese, and their surface fleet is beefed up as well.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gunner98

Really great AAR. Thanks for posting it.

I think your observations on the CVBG vs the CSG are spot on. The USN doesn't really have anything yet to replace the TASM, although there is another maritime strike version in development I think.

I have found the only way to make old Harpoons work is to surround them with jammers and lead with HARMs, it gives them half a chance, sometimes.

Thanks. I look forward to the next one.

Thanks for reading, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

The Navy is currently in the process of revamping and increasing their surface warfare capabilities. A lot of old Tomahawks are being refitted to a new TASM model developed by Raytheon, and the Zumwalt is also being refitted to be a dedicated anti-ship vessel. Also, the new SM-6 missile, which is multi-role (can hit both ships and aircraft at ranges of over 125nm) is being introduced to the fleet sometime this year as well. The Navy has a lot of fun toys coming!

I still can't post links yet, but I'll copy the names of the articles covering these changes so others can google it:

The Navy’s stealth destroyers to get new weapons and a new mission: killing ships - Navy Times

Raytheon marks milestone for its Tomahawk, looks to the future - Navy Times

(in reply to giantsquid)
Post #: 10
RE: Bay of Bengal 1999 AAR - 3/29/2018 9:15:59 AM   
Gunner98

Here are the links. Interesting about the Zumwalt. I suppose with the neutering of the gun system they needed to find a useful new role and this seems like it.

Thanks

quote:

The Navy’s stealth destroyers to get new weapons and a new mission: killing ships - Navy Times

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2018/02/15/its-official-the-navys-new-stealth-destroyers-will-be-ship-killers/

Raytheon marks milestone for its Tomahawk, looks to the future - Navy Times

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2017/08/21/raytheon-marks-milestone-for-its-tomahawk-looks-to-the-future/

Post #: 11
RE: Bay of Bengal 1999 AAR - 3/30/2018 2:18:10 PM   
IICptMillerII

Thanks for posting the links Gunner98!

I'm not terribly surprised by the fate of the railgun. Maybe someday, but for now there are just too many complications that stand in the way of getting it to function in the field practically. With the railgun out, the Zumwalt was beginning to look like a rather large waste of money. Its nice to see the Navy turning it around and putting it to good (and I would argue much needed) use.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 12
RE: Bay of Bengal 1999 AAR - 5/21/2018 9:12:19 AM   
MaB1708

Great job, thanks for posting it! Both entertaining and educational!

Post #: 13
RE: Bay of Bengal 1999 AAR - 5/25/2018 4:27:42 PM   
gregb41352

This is excellent. Well done AAR.

(in reply to MaB1708)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> After Action Report >> Bay of Bengal 1999 AAR Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI