Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Air Recon

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> Air Recon Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Air Recon - 3/23/2018 3:33:25 PM   
spinecruncher

Does anyone know how to perform recon prior to the orders execution phase? If you are performing Air recon, you want to be able to do it before you execute all your orders so you can take advantage of the intel, but it seems like it is done like all orders, and this no particular advantage. What am I missing here?
Post #: 1
RE: Air Recon - 3/23/2018 3:48:35 PM   
Saint Ruth

You are ordering Recon missions that will take place on the next turn. So your recon missions will happen during the the execution phase (when all the units move).
So your recon will only tell you where enemy units were at the end of the last turn, not where the enemy is/will be during the turn your planning (as how could it? As your enemy hasn't executed his moves yet ).

Note that you can order Recon missions during the Setup phase too, so you'll have recon on turn 1.

Hope that helps

(in reply to spinecruncher)
Post #: 2
RE: Air Recon - 3/23/2018 9:44:01 PM   
spinecruncher

But in the planning phase before I order my units somewhere, I want to know the latest intel. How can I get intel before I move a unit? I think maybe it requires recon in setup as you say, which I didnt do.

edit: except recon does not appear to be an option in setup phase.

< Message edited by spinecruncher -- 3/23/2018 9:58:32 PM >

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 3
RE: Air Recon - 3/23/2018 10:34:28 PM   
spinecruncher

I guess what I dont quite get is, in the planning stage I do not seem to be gathering any intel on hexes. The binocs appear, but that seems all.

Post #: 4
RE: Air Recon - 3/23/2018 11:38:28 PM   
SlickWilhelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: spinecruncher

I guess what I dont quite get is, in the planning stage I do not seem to be gathering any intel on hexes. The binocs appear, but that seems all.

Hi spinecruncher, in the planning phase you tell your recon units to go scout for you. When they do that in the execution phase, that's when you actually get intel. You are correct, that in the planning stage you are making plans based on what you know(or more likely don't know) about the enemy. Over time, as friendly units sit next to enemy units, more intel is gathered about those units. But you must keep using your recon flights very often. Just don't overuse them until they are exhausted.

The binocs that appear are merely a targeting device. You are assigning your air recon units to investigate the hex that contains the binocs.

< Message edited by SlickWilhelm -- 3/23/2018 11:39:56 PM >

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42

Post #: 5
RE: Air Recon - 3/23/2018 11:38:52 PM   
SlickWilhelm

...oops

< Message edited by SlickWilhelm -- 3/23/2018 11:39:39 PM >

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 6
RE: Air Recon - 3/24/2018 4:36:46 PM   
spinecruncher

Couple more questions on air assets: 1) the tutorial does not say whether you use left or right click in a bombing mission when selecting the hex to attack. In the example page 29, tutorial indicates bombing mission (not specific to ground attack/support) IE,' make sure that you click through types of missions until in bombing mode (not ground attack or support nor interdiction, but just left click on the hex' What is the point of the tutorial not to select a particular type of mission, but just "bombing." It seems that whenever I left click on the hex i want to attack, and the crosshairs go on the hex, the mission type becomes a ground support, as that text appears on the air unit.

< Message edited by spinecruncher -- 3/24/2018 4:37:22 PM >

Post #: 7
RE: Air Recon - 3/24/2018 6:00:10 PM   
Nico165b165

From what I understood:

- Any click (left, not right) on one of your own units or an hex you are attacking will be a ground support mission, defensive or offensive
- Any click on an enemy unit not under attack will be a bombard (attack) mission
- Clicking on the air unit until it says counter air or interdiction is enough to setup the selected mission for the whole map, but any click on any ground unit after that will reset the air unit to attack/defense/ground support

Post #: 8
RE: Air Recon - 3/25/2018 1:36:31 AM   
SlickWilhelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nico165b165

From what I understood:

- Any click (left, not right) on one of your own units or an hex you are attacking will be a ground support mission, defensive or offensive
- Any click on an enemy unit not under attack will be a bombard (attack) mission
- Clicking on the air unit until it says counter air or interdiction is enough to setup the selected mission for the whole map, but any click on any ground unit after that will reset the air unit to attack/defense/ground support

You are correct, sir.

(in reply to Nico165b165)
Post #: 9
RE: Air Recon - 3/25/2018 3:10:12 AM   
spinecruncher

Here is another question I have but I didn't want to have to create another thread: When I click on a unit (hq) and use hotkey H, I see the yellow lines, but sometimes I do not see any hot=pink unit. Does this mean that superior unit is not on the map? thank you!

edit:

Actually playing around with the Tobruk scenario as Allies, The 1st SA Bg HQ traces a yellow line to its superior, division HQ. In the tutorial, it shows the pink outline of superior units with HK H. But in this scenario, the superior unit is not getting the pink outline. is this a bug? They are connected by a yellow line which is obviously what is intended but I think the designer intended thHKHto trace to pink outlined sup unit. "This is an outrage."

< Message edited by spinecruncher -- 3/25/2018 3:16:05 AM >

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> Air Recon Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI