Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Adventures in Italy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: Adventures in Italy Page: <<   < prev  24 25 26 27 [28]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/2/2018 2:25:03 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MikeJ19
Ian and Larry,

Great stuff! I have to agree with UP844 this has been a wonderful AAR. I have learned a lot. Thanks so very much,

I'm glad you liked it. Ian and I are going to do the sams sort of thing in the other AAR, the one for the next game. And Ian is going to be the Allies and I'm expecting great things of him. He's a good opponent and plays really well and it's going to be another great game. I'm starting to get the hang of this scenario having been through it once recently and I have some ideas for the Axis to try. Well, I mean I'm going to have some ideas. I have to take a minute and write them all down just as soon as I think of them.

Bumper sticker on the door leading to an underground Titan missle silo near Minot, ND:
"A nuclear detonation anywhere in the world in 30 minutes or the next one is free."

(in reply to MikeJ19)
Post #: 811
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/2/2018 6:20:31 AM   
devoncop

Many thanks to Mike and UP844 (and Larry of course!) for the kind comments. It has been really enjoyable to do so I am glad that came across.

4th April 1944

As a mechanized NZ Brigade rolls through the devastated streets of Bolzano, word comes through that not only have Bologna and Trieste finally fallen but the US 3rd Army has taken Kassel after heavy fighting and the Sovits have been successful in a ten day battle in Eastern Pomerania...

The Pass defence has now narrowed down to little more than a single track mountain road however and fresh German Artillery and infantry at least with support from the Armour from KG Baumunk and 26th Panzer that remains are dug in awaiting the Allied spearheads. Larry has got his minor victory so I just need to hang in there for a handful of turns to avoid anything worse...

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 812
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/2/2018 1:15:25 PM   
hingram

Yes. Very good AAR. Lots of good material for learning.

Hank

If you aren't part of the solution, there is good money to be made prolonging the problem.

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 813
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/2/2018 3:02:19 PM   
devoncop

Thanks hingram

I have learnt a lot from yourself, Larry and other contributors....I would normally benefit from this in the reverse fixture starting soon but the problem is Larry has too !

8th April 1945

Allied forces continue to push on through noticeably weaker German resistance. What artillery there is left concentrates on the 6th NZ Infantry Brigade which was trying to move north from Bolzano and causes about 15% damage but the turn then ends.

The British tank formations from (7th and 9th Armoured Brigades I believe) is concentrating on the pass heading north east from Bolzano and is suffering few losses and is fighting a rag tag mix of isolated infantry battalions, security troops and LW flak units with just a smattering of German armour. An extra 10 turns or so would see Larry take the Pass I am sure but hopefully he doesn't have that long.........

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

(in reply to hingram)
Post #: 814
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/2/2018 4:34:05 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what it looked like just before I pulled the trigger on the resolution of
the battles and there was no change from this due to the attack so this is pretty
much what it looked like at the end. I'm not real sure I can make any more progress
unles Ian runs out of fresh units.

Attachment (1)

Bumper sticker on the door leading to an underground Titan missle silo near Minot, ND:
"A nuclear detonation anywhere in the world in 30 minutes or the next one is free."

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 815
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/2/2018 5:46:09 PM   
devoncop

11th April 1944

Larry would know better than me but I think this turn may be a case of "Houston...we have a problem".

Unless Hitler's rumoured miracle "secret weapons" have been unleashed or there is something in the scenario design responsible I can see no reason why multiple Allied units should have flashed up in the turn replay as "evaporated".

Not sure whether any of his front line were affected but it seems odd and in a welcome (but somewhat undeserved) development I am now shown as having officially won a marginal victory...This will be disregarded unless someone can explain the cull !

In more normal news the front was remarkably stable this turn which gives me renewed hope for the Pass though again little artillery fire was possible as the units are in such bad shape.

Post #: 816
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/2/2018 7:11:56 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: devoncop
11th April 1944

Larry would know better than me but I think this turn may be a case of "Houston...we have a problem".

Unless Hitler's rumoured miracle "secret weapons" have been unleashed or there is something in the scenario design responsible I can see no reason why multiple Allied units should have flashed up in the turn replay as "evaporated".

Not sure whether any of his front line were affected but it seems odd and in a welcome (but somewhat undeserved) development I am now shown as having officially won a marginal victory...This will be disregarded unless someone can explain the cull !

In more normal news the front was remarkably stable this turn which gives me renewed hope for the Pass though again little artillery fire was possible as the units are in such bad shape.

I'm thinking that what you saw was me disbanding about 30 Allied units that I don't need any more. The recon units and the AT guns and the extra AA units, etc. so there's nothing wrong with the replay or the game or anything else. I'm going to disband a lot more units this turn. There's about 7 turns left so I'm thinking I don't need but about four divisions for what I need to do yet so the rest of them are superfluous and aren't needed for anything.

And that part about you winning a marginal victory....that's what my info screen says about my game: marginal victory.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 5/2/2018 7:12:42 PM >

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 817
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/2/2018 7:27:43 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what it looked like when I ended the turn. The trail splits and becomes
two trails so I guess I'll block the left one and try to advance on the right
side.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 818
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/2/2018 8:05:15 PM   
devoncop

15th April 1945

The above explanation from Larry now makes sense. He is indeed still showing as a marginal winner which also makes sense (so once again their were no wonder weapons from Adolf)

This turn the LW Sturm Divn managed to check 6th Brit Armoured Brigade and US Mountain troops with artillery and air support. I have begun to blow bridges on the left hand fork in the pass as extra insurance/inconvenience but I expect the Allied Armour to try and barrel straight down the right hand fork through Bessanone the last German strongpoint.

I got more effective artillery fire onto two Infantry British Brigades to the south of Bressanone this turn and expect fresh troops to hit me next turn.

Another breakthrough and Larry will win this decisively...A couple more turns of near static lines and I have managed some degree of respectability !

Post #: 819
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/2/2018 8:28:22 PM   
larryfulkerson

The Germans gave way on the left and I got some units down the road a couple of hexes.
But the right side is being stubborn. This is just after the first combat round and
I'm trying to make some headway with my tanks leading the way.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 820
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/2/2018 8:30:19 PM   
MikeJ19

Ian,

Good luck, hopefully you can hold on. You have fought Larry so hard.

Mike

Retired Gunner

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 821
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/2/2018 9:48:54 PM   
devoncop

quote:

ORIGINAL: MikeJ19

Ian,

Good luck, hopefully you can hold on. You have fought Larry so hard.

Thanks Mike....after so many turns to have it go down to the wire is amazing....I am doing lots of "shuffling of the deck chairs on the Titanic" with my Panzer KG in particular to try and hang on...I try and pull them out of the front line whenever they find themselves there after moving in as a Tactical Reserve each turn and put them back on Tactical Reserve duties...it has managed to save them from being hit too hard unless there are multiple attack rounds by Allied Armour.

I have two reasonably strong Panzer KG left and whether I make it through will very much hinge on how they do.

(in reply to MikeJ19)
Post #: 822
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/2/2018 11:29:29 PM   
MikeJ19

Ian,

I like using the tactical reserve option in a similar fashion. I agree, defending can feel like "shuffling ... " a lot

Mike

Retired Gunner

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 823
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/3/2018 5:31:00 AM   
devoncop

18th April 1945

As expected the heavy lifting for the Allies is done by the armoured formations with the very strong British 26th Armoured Brigade pushing aside infantry along the north east fork before being stopped by KG Baumers Tigers and some supporting StuGs from 94th Infantry Division still 25Km from Bressanone.

On the eastern fork the 21st British Tank Brigade of the 8th Army made more progress north east capturing Merano from 2 small security battalions of the Etna Division.

German artillery inflict 20% losses on an infantry brigade of the US 34th Division and interdiction remains heavy...

(in reply to MikeJ19)
Post #: 824
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/3/2018 11:17:34 AM   
larryfulkerson

I got an email from Ian saying he's going to be out of pocket for a while due to a
visit from his parents so this game may slow down a bit and the new game we're
going to play ( the mirror game ) may not start for a period of time. But this is
what the front lines look like before I have moved anybody and I'm hopeful that I
can break through the German lines on the east side. There's only a handful of turns
left to play.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 825
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/3/2018 11:43:15 AM   
devoncop

Hi Larry

Just to be clear I am fine until the 9th May so this one should get wrapped up very soon :-)

Post #: 826
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/3/2018 12:04:20 PM   
devoncop

22nd April 1944

British 21st Tank Brigade, now looking a bit weary races west through Merano on the western fork and hits KG Binz and stops as Larry's turn is cut short. Unfortunately for the German defenders scouts report a fresh full strength CCR armoured unit from 1st US Armoured Division following behind so another bridge is blown.

On the Eastern fork KG Baumer again stops 26th British Armoured Brigade and this front may be the more stable.

Two German units were evaporated from interdiction strikes this turn which gives an idea of how weak many now are......

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 827
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/3/2018 4:10:08 PM   
larryfulkerson

I just now loaded the moves I got from Ian and with four moves left this is what
it looks like. I don't think it's possible to get to Brenner's Pass on time but
this has been a fabulous game.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 828
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/3/2018 4:18:46 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a zoom down to see the details of what it looks like before I've started
moving units. In the west I think it might be possible to make a little progress
because of the weak German units that remain after their parent organizations got
chewed up last turn.

In the east it's a different story in that the defenders are a bit more stout and it's
going to take some teamwork to move forward here. The planes are in the green and
ready. I guess I should tell the engineers to start making smoke. Then pump my fist
up and down a couple of times.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 829
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/3/2018 4:46:03 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what it looks like after two combat rounds and just before I ended the turn.
I made some progress in the west but the east is still stopped up really well.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 830
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/3/2018 5:02:29 PM   
700851McCall

Where are your mountain troops? I'd be trying to outflank him with them. Or have they been withdrawn?

Post #: 831
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/3/2018 5:37:50 PM   
devoncop

25th April 1945

The efforts of KG Baumunk and 504th Heavy Tank Regt have come at a huge cost in the Eastern Pass. KG Baumer for example now has only 7 of its original 42 Tiger I's and 32 out of 42 (possibly ahistorical) Tiger II's and is struggling but both have successfully stopped the US advance down the Eastern (more direct route) to Brenner Pass.

In the Western more winding route the remnants of KG Binz are in an even worse shape with less than half a dozen serviceable tanks but the clock will now run out in time to save me from a bigger loss I think.

I will do a wind up collection of thoughts at the end of this AAR but the defensive qualities of the area north of Trento is considerable and something any Allied player I suspect will have problems with in the end game.

(in reply to 700851McCall)
Post #: 832
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/3/2018 7:03:04 PM   
larryfulkerson

There were several battles and two or three combat rounds and I gained a hex and
some little progress was made. About 3 turns left.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 833
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/3/2018 7:08:25 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: 700851McCall
Where are your mountain troops? I'd be trying to outflank him with them. Or have they been withdrawn?

Ummm....I started disbanding troops about five or six turns ago, getting rid of about 10 of them each turn thinking I was through with them, wouldn't need them again for anything, and they were clogging up my OOB, so I disbanded them and the turns started going faster. Anyway, I think I got rid of all the Free French troops. And the Brazillians, their proficiency was in the high 40's and attacking with them would just get them killed, these are Germans after all. I remember seeing a Greek unit. I wish I had held onto those mountain troops now. I would still lose the game probably but it would have been a litte bit better game.

Post #: 834
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/3/2018 7:17:33 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's some of the losses so far

Attachment (1)

Post #: 835
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/3/2018 7:38:50 PM   
devoncop

29th April 1945

The Soviets are reportedly fighting in the suburbs of Berlin and Hitler will shoot himself in his bunker in the next 24 hours. It is little consolation to Field Marshal Kesselring but at least the Reich was not penetrated via the Brenner Pass.

The fronts are largely stable and as we enter the last couple of turns the three lucky Divisions dug in between Bressanone and Brenner Pass itself as a last ditch defence have escaped the slaughter of their compatriots further south.

Artillery throws its last remaining shells in the direction of some very unlucky US infantry from 38th Division who perish within days of VE Day.

Post #: 836
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/3/2018 8:25:03 PM   
devoncop

3rd May 1945

Bressanone will hold until the end of the war. Larry hasn't eased off and multiple infantry casualties again but 40 plus aircraft were shot down and more artillery losses doled out as the fronts seem to have become fixed as troops hope for the ceasefire !

One turn to go !

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 837
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/3/2018 8:33:33 PM   
larryfulkerson

I just now received some moves from Ian and I clicked past the playback and the review
of the battles ( they were all Axis bombardments ) and this screen popped up and the
line at the bottom says something about the game ending. I guess we're done.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 838
RE: Adventures in Italy - 5/3/2018 10:39:40 PM   
MikeJ19

Great AAR! Kudos to both of you and thanks for taking the time to share.

Mike

Retired Gunner

Post #: 839
RE: Adventures in Italy - 8/7/2020 1:36:05 AM   
countrboy

Just finished reading this excellent AAR. Well played to both players, it makes me want to give this scenario a go. That final screen the game gives you (game ends?!) is a bit of a let down though! Who won? What were the total casualties? No marching band and exploding fireworks? It's amazing how many wargames end with a whimper instead of a bang.

(in reply to MikeJ19)
Post #: 840
Page:   <<   < prev  24 25 26 27 [28]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: Adventures in Italy Page: <<   < prev  24 25 26 27 [28]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI