Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Split units and updates and upgrades

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Split units and updates and upgrades Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Split units and updates and upgrades - 3/17/2018 7:30:10 PM   
Dili

In a Division that has units split in editor (so not by the split button in game) how does it handle TOE upgrades? i mean how does it knows that the Artillery regiment gets only army weapons(artillery) instead of infantry, is it by the type of subunit? but how for not so clear cases like Infantry guns that can be considered army weapon?
Post #: 1
RE: Split units and updates and upgrades - 3/17/2018 11:21:38 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dili

In a Division that has units split in editor (so not by the split button in game) how does it handle TOE upgrades? i mean how does it knows that the Artillery regiment gets only army weapons(artillery) instead of infantry, is it by the type of subunit? but how for not so clear cases like Infantry guns that can be considered army weapon?

Typically a Division is made up of three regiments + additional combat engineers, AA and Artillery. Perhaps a few tanks/armoured cars as well.

If the Regiments have already been formed into Brigades, they already have some of the additional heavy gear in the Division TOE, so combining three Brigades does not usually leave the division with many more devices lacking to complete the TOE. However, three bare Regiments combined have few heavy weapons so when they combine the Divisional TOE in effect is applied and the AI gets demand for the missing devices (unless you set Replacements Off).

So the TOE (which is just a list of what the unit is entitled to have) is not associated with those units until they combine. There are no devices in a TOE, only in a unit that is using the TOE to draw the devices.

After combining units into a division, if you split them again you get three A/B/C pieces of the division (called Regimental Combat Teams in the US) which get 1/3 of the TOE each, with the A portion getting any left over numbers not divisible by three. There is no separate TOE for the divided division. Also note that the original units that were combined to form the division are gone - they will not show up after splitting the division again.

So for your Arty unit not yet combined into a division, it will have its own Arty TOE and that is it. No infantry required.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 2
RE: Split units and updates and upgrades - 3/18/2018 3:23:17 AM   
Dili

Thx but i don't think it's possible. The TOE field is closed when an unit is a subunit - if Prim Unit(in editor) identifies the top unit - so my Artillery regiment or battalion have to draw equipment from Prim unit TOE since it is the only allowed.

The situation is related to Yugoslav units for my Med mod. i need to have TOE for all of them since they were mostly not mobilized, so the idea is if the axis player don't advance fast as historical or there abouts, the allied player get much more devices in them and resistance stiffens.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Split units and updates and upgrades - 3/18/2018 3:37:49 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dili

Thx but i don't think it's possible. The TOE field is closed when an unit is a subunit - if Prim Unit(in editor) identifies the top unit - so my Artillery regiment or battalion have to draw equipment from Prim unit TOE since it is the only allowed.

The situation is related to Yugoslav units for my Med mod. i need to have TOE for all of them since they were mostly not mobilized, so the idea is if the axis player don't advance fast as historical or there abouts, the allied player get much more devices in them and resistance stiffens.

You can handle the timing issue by setting dates when the devices start coming into production - i.e. the TOE list says the unit is entitled to them but if there are none in the pools ...
Similarly, TOEs can be changed on a date you select so that new devices can be taken into the unit. In the case of a unit being formed from combining sub-units, whatever the current TOE is for that date would be used. In the game, there are instances when the new devices are not available in quantity and your formerly strong unit gets only a few of them while losing the entire complement of previous devices for that slot. Bad joss! Happens with tanks and armoured cars/recon vehicles.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 4
RE: Split units and updates and upgrades - 3/18/2018 8:20:16 PM   
Dili

Yes but that implies always a TOE. The only alternative is to have 100-90% etc of devices disabled instead of filling the units with devices that are in the pool. I would need to know more about implications of both to judge what would be more correct with AE game engine.

In this situation there are about 2 weeks for Axis to conquer Yugoslavia. So after 2 weeks if there are still pockets of resistance they should get stronger than historical unless that forces are already near the end of rope.

Yeah TOE change can do that. Only way to prevent it is not updating by TOE change but by device upgrade.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Split units and updates and upgrades - 3/19/2018 11:01:40 AM   
inqistor

Even if you have devices in pool, they will trickle slowly into unit. TOE update don't add new devices immediately, it only changes maximum. You probably should cause new unit to appear at location, after historical conquest date (as part of Division). But I think, it can create problem if Base is already taken by Axis, because unit will show up at Country Capital.

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 6
RE: Split units and updates and upgrades - 3/19/2018 7:01:22 PM   
Dili

Yes that will not work. Maybe a mix of disabled + pools is probably the safer one.

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 7
RE: Split units and updates and upgrades - 3/19/2018 10:56:03 PM   
inqistor

You can put Capital somewhere off map, so units will be unusable anyway.
For disabled devices, you need large, well supplied base, and no combat, so not really achievable. Same for pools, as there will be maybe 1-3 devices delivered per turn, with good supply.

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 8
RE: Split units and updates and upgrades - 3/20/2018 5:47:20 PM   
Dili

How the Capital is determined?
Only 1-3 devices? yes is too few.

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Split units and updates and upgrades Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI