Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Resolution in games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Resolution in games Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Resolution in games - 3/12/2018 11:56:17 PM   
Raikkonen

I need some help with managing screen resolution in most games. I play most of my Matrix titles on a desktop PC. However, I have some favorites loaded on my work laptop for when I travel. My resolution on the laptop is 3840 x 2160, running Windows 10. It's much newer than my desktop.

Anyway, most of the games I want to play on it have a text that is too small to read. I prefer small text, but it's just too small. I've been playing with lots of things like resolution, compatibility, etc. I can't seem to find the right recipe to make the text larger. Examples are TOAW IV and Distant Worlds. I can suffer through it in most games, but would like to understand how to fix it and be able to adjust it. I know I must be just missing something...any suggestions?
Post #: 1
RE: Resolution in games - 3/13/2018 12:06:59 AM   
CapnDarwin

Check your Windows Setting in Display for Scaling and Custom Scaling to adjust fonts. Weird things can happen in-game with certain text boxes and other UI controls so you may need to play around.

Work on Southern Storm continues and we will hopefully have news about our new website and even whispers of Beta Testing soon! (once we squish some mean bugs)

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to Raikkonen)
Post #: 2
RE: Resolution in games - 3/13/2018 12:09:10 AM   
Raikkonen

Yea - there is a menu to adjust the size of fonts/text and it's set for 225%. I played with that a bit but it didn't seem to affect those games and the menus.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 3
RE: Resolution in games - 3/13/2018 1:40:53 AM   
CapnDarwin

IF that is not working, you are really only left with dropping screen resolution to something the game can handle. Definitely a pain to do all the time, but your resolution in the vertical is pretty high compared to most game displays.

Work on Southern Storm continues and we will hopefully have news about our new website and even whispers of Beta Testing soon! (once we squish some mean bugs)

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to Raikkonen)
Post #: 4
RE: Resolution in games - 3/13/2018 5:06:40 AM   
uncc

You may also want to look into something like Display Changer II. It lets you change/customize your display for specific applications/games. My normal display is 1920x1080. I use DCII to run some games in 1440x900 to give me larger text. I create a small script that uses DCII to fire up the game in 1440x900. When I exit the game, I get my normal resolution back. Pretty simple...

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 5
RE: Resolution in games - 3/13/2018 3:58:45 PM   
Raikkonen

Hi uncc and Capn,

I think together you've indirectly solved my problem. I downloaded DCII. When I looked through all the selectors and switches, I thought "this is a bigger pain than just changing screen resolution". However, uncc proposed 1440x900 so I fired up the intel screen resolution app and changed to that resolution and everything is now at a resolution that works. So I'll just leave the app open and switch back when complete. If I need to do work in between, I can swap to my email and it's still manageable, just not my typical resolution preference. A simpler fix and I'm off and running (playing!) Thanks guys!

(in reply to uncc)
Post #: 6
RE: Resolution in games - 3/19/2018 5:57:05 AM   
radic202

Now sure if this is relevant to you but you can force Windows to be full screen (in windows mode) if you so desire:

https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/17306/how-to-force-maximized-fullscreen-mode-in-any-game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoRJ7DcIGA4

It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!

(in reply to Raikkonen)
Post #: 7
RE: Resolution in games - 3/19/2018 5:41:44 PM   
RFalvo69

[PUN]Anyway, to win you always need all the resolution you can muster[/PUN]

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Resolution in games Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote