Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

War of Resistance - China 1937

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Scenario Design and Modding >> War of Resistance - China 1937 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
War of Resistance - China 1937 - 3/11/2018 5:35:56 PM   
mroyer

Japanese invasion of China, 1937. Not sure where I'll end up with this project - maybe a full-blown scenario/campaign if I can figure out how to do it.

The map is in the same scale as the standard European campaigns.

Using research from this old game with updates:
War of Resistange

-Mark R.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by mroyer -- 3/11/2018 5:42:36 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: War of Resistance - China 1937 - 3/11/2018 6:17:28 PM   
SIPRES

Really nice map, its a huge work you made, What will be the unit scale (Army/Corps)?

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 2
RE: War of Resistance - China 1937 - 3/11/2018 6:31:15 PM   
mroyer

Thanks

quote:

ORIGINAL: SIPRES

What will be the unit scale (Army/Corps)?

When/if I get to that point, I’m going to try to keep it the same scale as the main campaigns. Depending on how much flexibility I have in defining the unit strengths and capabilities I may need to deviate a bit.

< Message edited by mroyer -- 3/11/2018 6:32:20 PM >

(in reply to SIPRES)
Post #: 3
RE: War of Resistance - China 1937 - 3/21/2018 2:33:34 PM   
mroyer

This morning I finished the map of China (earlier version shown above). It is at roughly 32 mi/hex which I believe approximates the standard European maps that come with the game.

In case anyone else wants to use integrate it with other work, what is the preferred way of sharing a map when there's no working scenario/campaign? Just share the empty campaign?

-Mark R.

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 4
RE: War of Resistance - China 1937 - 3/21/2018 3:08:45 PM   
SIPRES

quote:

ORIGINAL: mroyer

This morning I finished the map of China (earlier version shown above). It is at roughly 32 mi/hex which I believe approximates the standard European maps that come with the game.

In case anyone else wants to use integrate it with other work, what is the preferred way of sharing a map when there's no working scenario/campaign? Just share the empty campaign?

-Mark R.

Hi mroyer

there is 2 possibles ways.

1-Empty campaign as you said
2-Exporting Dat files with all the items you want to share as per screenshot above
sometimes only map data can be usefull if anybody wants to do a campaign in a different period of time.

in case #2 you have to specify the map size in hexes to future users, it will be required for importing Map data to a blank campaign file.

again very nice job

Christophe

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 5
RE: War of Resistance - China 1937 - 3/22/2018 1:55:52 PM   
mroyer

Understood. I'll give both methods a go when I have a chance.

Method #2 will definitely be important if anyone wants to link this map into a WW2 Pacific scenario. In order to get the fractured-political feel of China in 1937 I made it's provinces like minor Chinese allies (or possibly enemies) . That's probably not desirable for an overall Pacific campaign, or at most a very simplified version of it.

Thanks Christophe.
-Mark R.

< Message edited by mroyer -- 3/22/2018 1:56:44 PM >

(in reply to SIPRES)
Post #: 6
RE: War of Resistance - China 1937 - 3/22/2018 4:58:16 PM   
BillRunacre

Looks great Mark, and I look forward to seeing the finished article.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 7
RE: War of Resistance - China 1937 - 3/23/2018 2:48:43 AM   
Robert24

Hi Mark,

Really good stuff! It looks like an exciting project.

I have seen the War of Resistance board game, but never played it. I own Armies of the White Sun, but its still sitting un-punched!

For sharing I’d just zip up the files and put on an Internet/cloud drive service.

I do like the idea of using the minor countries for the various Chinese factions. That should make for some nice Decision Events and a somewhat higher level of political game play, especially for the Collaboration factions (possibly enemies as you say). Have you decided on which factions you’ll use in your game?

Robert

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 8
RE: War of Resistance - China 1937 - 3/23/2018 2:56:46 AM   
Robert24

Mark,
One other question about the map – I am curious. Where did you get the name “Pao-An Soviet” for Shensi?
Robert

(in reply to Robert24)
Post #: 9
RE: War of Resistance - China 1937 - 3/23/2018 3:23:44 AM   
mroyer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Robert24

Mark,
One other question about the map – I am curious. Where did you get the name “Pao-An Soviet” for Shensi?
Robert

Good question Robert. I'm not sure I'll keep the name or not. Pao An (Bao-an) - called Zhidan today - was a town near Yenan that was used as the capital of the communist area from about 1935 or '36 to early '37 after which the capital was moved to Yenan itself. Some maps and contemporary writings (e.g., Edgar Snow) refer to that communist area as the Pao An Soviet. It may have gone into disuse by the middle of 1937, however, when the war with Japan started. I'm also not clear whether the Chinese ever used the name or whether it just occurs in western sources (need a bit more research on that).

-Mark R.

(in reply to Robert24)
Post #: 10
RE: War of Resistance - China 1937 - 3/23/2018 12:18:53 PM   
mroyer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Robert24
Have you decided on which factions you’ll use in your game?

Nope.... that will largely depend on what capabilities/features the SC3 scripting system has - something I have only dabbled with and really need to learn much better before trying to make this a legitimate campaign.

For the moment, the map is divided pretty much along provincial boarders. Historians consider the so-called Chinese warlord period to be pretty much over by the start of the War of Resistance with Japan. However, there were still very strong echoes of that period, both political and military. For example, many of the provincial governors were really appointments of former "warlords" by the Koumingtang (Goumindang) nationalist government. The KMT had to decide whether to defeat or subsume the various warlord armies and, if they felt they were trustworthy, it was always easier to make a warlord a provincial governor, complete with ready-made army.

So, by 1937, Nationalist China officially was pretty much all of China. But the reality was that true control exerted by the KMT waned roughly radially with distance from Nanking (their capital).

Superimposed on all this was the separate communist movement and the Chinese Soviet Republic which effectively controlled various territories around China.

It will be difficult to model this properly and historically in the game. However, I have the sense it can be roughly simulated through the scripting system and by treating provinces as minor countries. I have a feeling it could end up a pretty cool game, even if historical accuracy needs to be a bit distorted to achieve that end.

Anyhow, this is all far in the future.... assuming I can even accomplish it... I have SOOOO much to learn about scripting, etc...

-Mark R.

(in reply to Robert24)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Scenario Design and Modding >> War of Resistance - China 1937 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI