From: Genoa, Republic of Genoa (occupied by Italy)
Fuselex's post - and the memories of nights spent playing Red Barricades - made me launch this monster.
At the end of turn #7 I am more or less in the same situation reported by Fuselex: there is only one of the VP hexes in the eastern factory still in Russian control, but it has three killer stacks adjacent to it and I seriously doubt a C* with two Elite squads and a MMG can kill all of them before being blasted away.
Loss rate up to now is as follows (German / Russians):
Squads 20/61.5+ (~1:3, not bad for an attacker in an urban environment )
Crews 0/5 (see factoid #3 below)
AFVs 1/0 (see factoid #1 below)
1) on the very first turn, a Russian ATR managed to kill a StuG IIIB with a Front Hull hit! (Peter, wouldn't it be possible to have Critical Hits highlighted?)
2) the remaining lone StuG did its best, but a 75mm is not powerful enough to tackle with fortified buildings; the sIG 33, conversely, provided outstanding service and added half a dozen new rubble hexes to the landscape.
3) a Russian 45mm crew twice prevailed in CC against two infantry squads (killing 4 squads, 20% of my losses) and also spawned a C* leader, before being killed at the third attempt.
4) a special mention for the German left wing forces: even though they are made of second line troops, with only two leaders (this means most of them are often OOC), they managed to defeat their Russian counterpart and are now mopping up the last remnants.
5) I noticed there are some German tanks (Pz IV F2 and Pz III J) arriving on turn 11. This make me think there is something more substantial than some remnants guarding the last objective...
6) German artillery never fired a shot: the 80mm module became unavailable at the third attempt, the 100mm is still available, but the opposing forces are so close that a misplaced artillery could be deadly... for my troops . On the other hand, so far I have seen no sign of Russian artillery, even though I have seen a pair of radios.
7) I faced a murderous Soviet fire to place a Demo Charge and managed to place it... but it didn't explode!!! (This has never occurred in all the years I played ASL).
On a less fun note, the scenario is extremely slow to play: currently, there is a 25-30 second lag before two subsequent move orders. On the other hand, Rico warned us in the scenario description .
@Rico: well done!!
< Message edited by UP844 -- 3/12/2018 12:34:09 AM >
Chasing Germans in the moonlight is no mean sport
Long Range Fire (A7.22)........1/2 FP