Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

annexing the baltic states... or not

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> annexing the baltic states... or not Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
annexing the baltic states... or not - 2/28/2018 4:38:03 PM   
LLv34Mika

Hi everyone

I'm still not sure what is better. If you annex the baltic states you get more MPPs. Ok, clear.
If you don't annex them your northern task force can relocate to be used later and the road to Leningrad is longer (if the Axis goes around the baltic states) or the Axis has to declare war three times what brings the US closer to the allies (and more MPPs for the US and GB).

So what is your experience so far?
I didn't annex them in my last game as allies and the Axis did NOT conquer the three countries. My enemy went for Moscow instead but resigned before getting to Stalingrad and/or Leningrad. So in that game it seemed to be a nice move but I guess that was just because my opponent made a few bad decisions.

"Oderint, dum metuant."
Post #: 1
RE: annexing the baltic states... or not - 2/28/2018 5:33:14 PM   
PvtBenjamin

I've never tried this but many have talked about it.

I'm guessing you only do this when Germany hands Lithuania over to USSR (DE 610). Most Axis players seem to take Lithuania these days. If the Germans don't take Lithuania and USSR rejects Baltic States can't the Germans just declare war on Lithuania at a 14% penalty to USSR diplo? Then coordinate attack on Latvia with attack on USSR? The three countries only have garrisons in the capitals so its really easy to take them one by one. Looks like a straight shot to Leningrad to me.

Are you sure Axis declaring war on them moves the US diplo? I don't see that.

I find entrenched Armies in Latvia capital & fort slow Germans quite a bit.

I don't know where the reinforcements are placed if you reject Baltic States, are the planes out of range of Axis planes in Lithuania?

Sounds like a shaky move against a seasoned player to me might I might be missing something.

< Message edited by PvtBenjamin -- 2/28/2018 5:34:02 PM >

(in reply to LLv34Mika)
Post #: 2
RE: annexing the baltic states... or not - 2/28/2018 11:45:11 PM   
KorutZelva

If the Axis is struggling I want my border close. If they have wind in their sail, I want it far.

(in reply to PvtBenjamin)
Post #: 3
RE: annexing the baltic states... or not - 3/1/2018 1:59:52 AM   
Christolos

I believe there has been some discussion on this before. See: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4309861&mpage=1&key=�

C

“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-

Post #: 4
RE: annexing the baltic states... or not - 3/1/2018 10:48:58 AM   
PvtBenjamin

Thank you that was helpful.

Bill says in the thread that US diplo moves when Axis declare war on Lithuania/Estonia/Latvia. I started the '39 scenario as Axis declared war on Lithuania, Latvia & Estonia and US Diplo didn't move at all. Maybe later in the game?

202,62 is in range of Axis fighters in Lithuania, anyone try to take out Ostrov reinforcements from there.

quote:

ORIGINAL: KorutZelva

If the Axis is struggling I want my border close. If they have wind in their sail, I want it far.

I guess if the Axis are in trouble mid '41 they probably aren't making it anyway.

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 5
RE: annexing the baltic states... or not - 3/1/2018 1:04:26 PM   
KorutZelva

quote:

ORIGINAL: PvtBenjamin

I guess if the Axis are in trouble mid '41 they probably aren't making it anyway.

Based on the time you have to make the decision, it's of course a projection on how the war is France will pan out. However by then you can usually tell where you're headed towards a slug or quick exit.

Post #: 6
RE: annexing the baltic states... or not - 3/1/2018 4:54:37 PM   
BillRunacre

quote:

ORIGINAL: PvtBenjamin

Thank you that was helpful.

Bill says in the thread that US diplo moves when Axis declare war on Lithuania/Estonia/Latvia. I started the '39 scenario as Axis declared war on Lithuania, Latvia & Estonia and US Diplo didn't move at all. Maybe later in the game?

Good spot, I've corrected my post as it's the USSR that moves towards the Allies, not the US. The move is 8-15% if Lithuania is attacked, 25-35% if Latvia is attacked, and a further 15-20% if Estonia is also picked on.

Bill

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

Post #: 7
RE: annexing the baltic states... or not - 3/1/2018 6:48:43 PM   
PvtBenjamin

Thanks Bill

Mika here is my take on USSR rejecting Baltic States.

Germans: DE 610 Annex Lithuania NO (2/40)

USSR: DE 414 Annex Baltic States NO (6/40)

Germans should then declare war on Lithuania late '40 /early '41. Germans take Lithuania in one turn/ USSR +8-15% towards Allies.

Next (mid '41) the Germans declare war on USSR/Latvia & Estonia simultaneously. Latvia easy, Estonia 1-2 Bombers and 1 amphib. Estonia & Latvia fall in one turn. Axis very close to Leningrad one turn into invasion, Leningrad falls quickly. I'm not sure of Ostrov reinforcement placement but from Lithuania Germans may still have a shot at some of them.

USSR get Ostrov troops and can defend other parts of the map better with troops not committed to Estonia & Latvia. +8-15% toward Allies for a few turns. USSR can re take Estonia cities Tartu & Narva first turn after Estonia falls.

Looks to me that USSR should accept the Baltic States but thats just my take.

< Message edited by PvtBenjamin -- 3/1/2018 7:03:19 PM >

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> annexing the baltic states... or not Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI