Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Armored Defense Strengths?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Armored Defense Strengths? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Armored Defense Strengths? - 2/25/2018 1:38:01 PM   
VHauser

The .eqp editor seems to be forcing the upper limit of armored defense strengths to 7.

Is there any way to increase armored defense strengths above 7?

Member since May 2000 (as VictorHauser)
Post #: 1
RE: Armored Defense Strengths? - 2/25/2018 2:34:27 PM   
Curtis Lemay

The in-game Equipment Editor has a bug with armored equipment described in post #11 here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4412492

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to VHauser)
Post #: 2
RE: Armored Defense Strengths? - 2/25/2018 2:57:20 PM   
VHauser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

The in-game Equipment Editor has a bug with armored equipment described in post #11 here:

So, as of today there is no way to increase armored defense strengths above 7, correct?

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 3
RE: Armored Defense Strengths? - 2/25/2018 4:51:46 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: VHauser

quote:

So, as of today there is no way to increase armored defense strengths above 7, correct?

No. If you increase the armor thickness, the defense strength will go up. The M1A2 has a defense strength of 11, for example.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to VHauser)
Post #: 4
RE: Armored Defense Strengths? - 2/25/2018 5:05:32 PM   
VHauser

quote:

quote:

quote:

No. If you increase the armor thickness, the defense strength will go up. The M1A2 has a defense strength of 11, for example.

Will there ever be a time when I can increase armor defense strength stand alone (without being dependent on other factors such as armor thickness)?

In other words, will there ever be a time when I can make armored defense strengths any value that I want (just like non-armored defense strengths)? [I'm dead in the water on my scenario design until the answer to this question is yes.]

Post #: 5
RE: Armored Defense Strengths? - 2/25/2018 5:38:04 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Will there ever be a time when I can increase armor defense strength stand alone (without being dependent on other factors such as armor thickness)?

In other words, will there ever be a time when I can make armored defense strengths any value that I want (just like non-armored defense strengths)? [I'm dead in the water on my scenario design until the answer to this question is yes.]

Why? What do you suppose the Defense Strength of armored equipment is used for?

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to VHauser)
Post #: 6
RE: Armored Defense Strengths? - 2/25/2018 6:11:40 PM   
VHauser

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why? What do you suppose the Defense Strength of armored equipment is used for?

By your reply, I can only surmise that the answer is no. It was a simple yes or no question--you didn't need to deflect by answering a question with another question. But your deflection is an answer of no.

Oh well. It is a shame, though, that by NOT making editing armored defense strengths the same as editing non-armored defense strengths (in terms of being independent, not tied to any other factors), the game is not made stronger (more robust).

I do have skill as a programmer. I'd be happy to make the changes. Who do I need to talk to to get authorization to do so?

Post #: 7
RE: Armored Defense Strengths? - 2/25/2018 6:24:51 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

By your reply, I can only surmise that the answer is no. It was a simple yes or no question--you didn't need to deflect by answering a question with another question. But your deflection is an answer of no.

Oh well. It is a shame, though, that by NOT making editing armored defense strengths the same as editing non-armored defense strengths (in terms of being independent, not tied to any other factors), the game is not made stronger (more robust).

I didn't know what you were trying to do. I seem to recall some folks wanting to model body armor via the armor settings. And the day may come when body armor is an available factor.

If, on the other hand, you're talking about normal tanks, then the answer is indeed no. That's because, for non-armored equipment, the DF factor actually affects the survivability of the equipment against AP. But, for armored equipment, the survivability is set by its armor thickness. The Defense Strength of armored equipment is just a display value to give the player an idea of how tough the equipment is to kill. It has to be derived from the armor thickness.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to VHauser)
Post #: 8
RE: Armored Defense Strengths? - 2/28/2018 12:07:45 PM   
The Land

quote:

If, on the other hand, you're talking about normal tanks, then the answer is indeed no. That's because, for non-armored equipment, the DF factor actually affects the survivability of the equipment against AP. But, for armored equipment, the survivability is set by its armor thickness. The Defense Strength of armored equipment is just a display value to give the player an idea of how tough the equipment is to kill. It has to be derived from the armor thickness.

I've been looking at the manual a lot on this recently and just wanted to confirm my understanding:

A unit is either armoured or not. (Armoured checkbox is ticked or not).

If it is armoured, then any fire at is uses the armour penentration rules set out in the rulebook (a roll to hit based on targeting level and terrain/environment, followed by a roll to penetrate based on the ratio of armour penetration to thickness). The defence stat is not relevant (and as you've described the game 'helpfully' adjusts it)

If it is not armoured, then any fire at it uses the ratio of anti-personnel to defence ratio to determine success. There is no rule to hit or to penetrate. (Does anyone know what the formula used here is?) The armour stat is not relevant.

When firing, a unit will make either an anti-personnel or anti-armour shot. The game engine attempts to have the units with the highest armour piercing rating target the enemies with the highest armour rating, with a bit of randomness.

I've seen it implied that the Infantry tag somehow contradicts the Armor tag i.e. you cannot have Infantry and Armor on the same unit (or if you try, it malfunctions somehow). Is this the case and if so does it apply to cavalry?

The manual says the Agile tag reduces the chance of the target being hit. Does this apply to both kinds of fire?

And ... what does the Shock Cavalry tag do? Any ideas at all? :)

Post #: 9
RE: Armored Defense Strengths? - 2/28/2018 3:08:00 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Land

I've been looking at the manual a lot on this recently and just wanted to confirm my understanding:

A unit is either armoured or not. (Armoured checkbox is ticked or not).

Equipment is either armored or not. Units can have soft and hard equipment in them at the same time.

quote:

If it is armoured, then any fire at is uses the armour penentration rules set out in the rulebook (a roll to hit based on targeting level and terrain/environment, followed by a roll to penetrate based on the ratio of armour penetration to thickness). The defence stat is not relevant (and as you've described the game 'helpfully' adjusts it)

That's correct - for armored equipment.

quote:

If it is not armoured, then any fire at it uses the ratio of anti-personnel to defence ratio to determine success. There is no rule to hit or to penetrate. (Does anyone know what the formula used here is?) The armour stat is not relevant.

AP is used against soft targets. DF figures in there somehow.

quote:

When firing, a unit will make either an anti-personnel or anti-armour shot. The game engine attempts to have the units with the highest armour piercing rating target the enemies with the highest armour rating, with a bit of randomness.

Replace unit with equipment and that's about right.

quote:

I've seen it implied that the Infantry tag somehow contradicts the Armor tag i.e. you cannot have Infantry and Armor on the same unit (or if you try, it malfunctions somehow). Is this the case and if so does it apply to cavalry?

Units can have infantry and armor in them at the same time. I don't know how equipment with the infantry flag and the armor flag both set is going to work.

quote:

The manual says the Agile tag reduces the chance of the target being hit. Does this apply to both kinds of fire?

I would think so, but I'm not sure. Do some tests.

quote:

And ... what does the Shock Cavalry tag do? Any ideas at all? :)

No idea. It's not even commented on in the code. Again, do some tests.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 10
RE: Armored Defense Strengths? - 2/28/2018 3:12:01 PM   
The Land

Yup, I was definitely saying "unit" when I meant "equipment" - thanks for the answers! And yeah I'll give "shock cavalry" a go and see what happens

Post #: 11
RE: Armored Defense Strengths? - 2/28/2018 9:53:03 PM   
The Land

So first time I've tested this kind of thing in TOAW and I had to make sure that all the units were set to 'veteran' and had enough firepower to get 'assault' not 'weakly assault' combats, and 'minimize losses' to try to get results from one round of combat...

But after a couple of dozen tests, "shock cavalry" seem to inflict fewer losses when attacking enemy infantry than an identical unit that doesn't have the "shock cavalry" feature.

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Armored Defense Strengths? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI