Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Advice Needed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Advice Needed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Advice Needed - 2/22/2018 8:27:28 PM   
BK6583

Quick background. My opponent and I are on the 3rd try at playing the D-Day campaign (I'm the Germans). I have read and reread the tutorials on supply for the Germans and have set all of my depot and HQ supply levels accordingly. The first two games we played interdiction was just a nuisance and the tutorial advice seemed to work as well as could be expected. Unfortunately for me my opponent must have also read all of the advice on maximizing Allied air interdiction. For the last several turns (I'm on turn 5) - OMG! There have been 9's all over Normandy. My rail yards are 95% (or more) damaged (in spite of using APs to prioritize repair and assigning construction units. The only positive I guess is that no strategic bombing has yet occurred. My question is this: I have a ton of units in Normandy in orange or red supply status. What the heck can I do to try to alleviate this - air transport supplies in the teeth of Allied fighters? What? Help!
Post #: 1
RE: Advice Needed - 2/23/2018 2:00:56 AM   
cfulbright

I've never played the German side so I have no advice on the logistics side, just some observations on the air side:

1. Do you have flak units assigned to the cities in Normandy like Caen, St. Lo, Bayeux, even perhaps Carentan (though you may lose it the turn he invades)? That should cause him some hurt in his bombers.
2. My experience is that even if I use the entire 8th Air Force at 11K' in interdiction, I won't get 9's. The only way to get 9's is with FB's, which he should be seeing some loses on, particularly if you have flak. Do the Loss reports indicate that?
3. Though perhaps it's too late, you should be flying Air Superiority AD's over the likely invasion targets.

Good luck.

Cary

(in reply to BK6583)
Post #: 2
RE: Advice Needed - 2/23/2018 5:57:52 AM   
EddyBear81

BK, your last proposition actually worked from me : air transport to resupply the most critical areas is a good tactic.

Just try not to fly over enemy concentrations, otherwise AAA will hurt a lot. And if you have too many losses to fighters, fly at night.

But in general, you do not get many empty depots as the Axis (provided you made some careful allocation beforehand)

(in reply to cfulbright)
Post #: 3
RE: Advice Needed - 2/23/2018 6:41:06 AM   
loki100

There is a trick to reducing interdiction levels.

Put an AS mission - fly in your turn only - over the zone that has high interdiction. The AS will reduce this.

Now in Normandy 1944 this can be incredibly risky if your opponent has kept back an AS mission of their own - set to fly only in your turn (so you have no advanced warning), but it can clear a small corridor. I've used it more in Italy where you create safe retreat corridors (land and naval) this way. Unwary opponents don't expect you to use fighters for this.

More practically, as with the others, flak in your units and corps will inflict steady damage on the allies, damaged planes lose morale, need to be rested etc.

(in reply to EddyBear81)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Advice Needed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI