Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/17/2018 7:00:53 PM   
smokindave34

It's been a long time since I played as axis so any helpful advice as I write this AAR would be appreciated. I'm facing off against an experienced Soviet opponent in BrianG. He is as stubborn as I am so barring any unforeseen real life circumstances I'm expecting we'll fight this one out to the end. We are on turn 7 currently and I'll keep the AAR about 5 turns behind.

June 22nd, 1941 - I unleash my blitzkrieg on Brian's forces

Army Group North

Riga is captured. I tried to minimize the number of units that routed out of the pocket. Think I did pretty well here.

Elements of LVI Panzer corps attack a Soviet held village.

Army Group Center

Standard opening for me. I gamble that the large area between 2nd panzer group mobile forces and the follow on infantry won't be breached by Brian. I tried to flip as many hexes here as possible.

General Guderian congratulates 2nd Panzer Army forces on the rapid advance to the outskirts of Minsk

Army Group South
No extended Lvov opening - I'm still working on that. The pocket looks pretty tight to me and I expect it to hold through Brian's turn 1

Infantry units of 17th army prepare to advance into the Ukraine.

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 2/17/2018 7:04:00 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/17/2018 8:20:16 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Good Luck Dave! Love the photos.

Space we can recover; time never

Napoleon

(in reply to smokindave34)
Post #: 2
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/17/2018 9:21:13 PM   
thedoctorking

I'm noticing that a number of your guys could possibly be isolated in the southern pocket. The Soviet units that advance to cut you off will no doubt be cut off in their turn, but this will contribute to slowing down your offensive faster than otherwise would be the case. Those units still have plenty of supply and can move in the coming turn, but they will be depleting their stocks and I think will run out of steam next turn or the turn after. One thing I try to do with these big pocketing moves is divide the pocketers up into regiments and spread them around in their last couple of hexes to as to make it harder to get between them. The Soviets should have a hard time opening any pocket that is created, at least.

What's your intended major line of advance?

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 3
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/17/2018 9:43:54 PM   
SparkleyTits

I've been waiting for this one Dave!

Good luck to both of you

(in reply to thedoctorking)
Post #: 4
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/17/2018 10:30:30 PM   
smokindave34

quote:

ORIGINAL: thedoctorking

I'm noticing that a number of your guys could possibly be isolated in the southern pocket. The Soviet units that advance to cut you off will no doubt be cut off in their turn, but this will contribute to slowing down your offensive faster than otherwise would be the case. Those units still have plenty of supply and can move in the coming turn, but they will be depleting their stocks and I think will run out of steam next turn or the turn after. One thing I try to do with these big pocketing moves is divide the pocketers up into regiments and spread them around in their last couple of hexes to as to make it harder to get between them. The Soviets should have a hard time opening any pocket that is created, at least.

Thanks Doctorking. I have always hesitated to break up my mobile units into regiments but it seems as though that is probably not a good strategy. I've seen a lot of AAR's lately (in particular HLYA's opening) where regiments can create additional ZOC to great advantage.

First priority for me will be Leningrad so I can use the Finns to support during the blizzard. After that my focus will be on pocketing troops. In my game against Aldiladeisogni1 he's done a great job of pocketing a few units (or more) each turn and it has really hurt the Soviet OOB.

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 2/17/2018 10:31:11 PM >

(in reply to thedoctorking)
Post #: 5
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/17/2018 10:31:55 PM   
smokindave34

quote:

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

Good Luck Dave! Love the photos.

Thanks HLYA. I thought I'd throw in some photos along the way for some additional "immersion". I've always enjoyed Loki's AARs where he has done that.

Post #: 6
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/17/2018 10:32:10 PM   
smokindave34

quote:

ORIGINAL: SparkleyTits

I've been waiting for this one Dave!

Good luck to both of you

Thanks ST!

(in reply to SparkleyTits)
Post #: 7
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/18/2018 2:02:56 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: smokindave34

quote:

Thanks Doctorking. I have always hesitated to break up my mobile units into regiments but it seems as though that is probably not a good strategy. I've seen a lot of AAR's lately (in particular HLYA's opening) where regiments can create additional ZOC to great advantage.

You will Learn to love German regiments in the next version of WITE btw(map is HUGE and Germany needs units) In the current version they are good for the extra zoc and to delay while causing very nice casualties to the Soviets. I know I will be breaking a great many divsions down in my game against M60 to prove out my point.

< Message edited by HardLuckYetAgain -- 2/18/2018 2:05:02 AM >

Napoleon

Post #: 8
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/18/2018 1:16:32 PM   
smokindave34

Turn 2

Army Group North

The infantry clears out the pocketed units and 4th Panzer Group heads east to Pskov. I manage a successful hasty attack across the Velikaya river to dislodge a level 1 fort but don't have enough MP's to attack the weak motorized unit to the east of my panzers. My mobile forces are exposed but I'm hoping any forces Brian may have in the area don't have enough MP's to flip the area west of my panzers.

86th infantry division (L corps) clears the pocketed Soviet units

Army Group Center

Not so good here. I didn't grab it in my screenshot but Brian sent a unit through the swamps to break the AGC pocket between 4th Army and 2nd Panzer Group. I didn't think he'd have enough MP but in the future I'm going to protect this area with regiments of a motorized unit. The good news here is that 3rd Panzer Group clears out the land bridge. Brian won't be able (and doesn't look like he planned to) make a stand here.

3rd Panzer Group forces cross the Ulla River on the way to Vitebsk

As a result of the failure to close the AGC pocket, Field Marshall Fedor Von Bock gets paid a visit by the Gestapo. Sturmbannfuhrer Toht is dispatched from his assignment in Afrika to pay the Field Marshall a visit and provide him the "proper" motivation.

Army Group South

Interesting developments here. Brian gets aggressive in the south. He opened the Lvov pocket by attacking my panzer regiment in the south and also doesn't pull back the remainder of SW front. I swing around behind Rovno but don't have the MP's to completely close the pocket. I'm expecting to capture all these units but because I couldn't close the pocket it could mean a delay for AGS.

75th infantry division outside Tarnopol.

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 2/18/2018 1:18:52 PM >

Post #: 9
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/18/2018 2:11:44 PM   
TheLysander

Very nice AAR. Love the pictures that come along with the tactical view.

Post #: 10
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/18/2018 2:27:38 PM   
tyronec

Great pics !
Brian should pull back now in the south, else all those units near Rovno are going to the labour camps, but will he ?

(in reply to TheLysander)
Post #: 11
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/18/2018 3:24:33 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

quote:

First priority for me will be Leningrad so I can use the Finns to support during the blizzard. After that my focus will be on pocketing troops. In my game against Aldiladeisogni1 he's done a great job of pocketing a few units (or more) each turn and it has really hurt the Soviet OOB.

I talk to Aldiladeisongni1 often and he should do an AAR over here ;-). I read the ones he does on the Italian forums all the time & he is a good player. But this is why I call turns 6-10 the Golden weeks since the Soviets get very few reinforcements and the Soviets are very short on troops to cover everything. The more you pocket during this time & earlier the better you will be in later turns. I strive for 3.5 million before blizzard but over 4 million the effects are felt well into early 42.

Napoleon

Post #: 12
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/18/2018 3:28:10 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: tyronec

Great pics !
Brian should pull back now in the south, else all those units near Rovno are going to the labour camps, but will he ?

LOL Tyronec!!!! I don't think he will. Brian loves to stay close. But maybe, just maybe he might retreat. Maybe a 1% chance to pull back????

Napoleon

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 13
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/18/2018 4:13:48 PM   
smokindave34

quote:

quote:

quote:

I talk to Aldiladeisongni1 often and he should do an AAR over here ;-). I read the ones he does on the Italian forums all the time & he is a good player. But this is why I call turns 6-10 the Golden weeks since the Soviets get very few reinforcements and the Soviets are very short on troops to cover everything. The more you pocket during this time & earlier the better you will be in later turns. I strive for 3.5 million before blizzard but over 4 million the effects are felt well into early 42.

I agree he should do an AAR. He is a very good player indeed. He captured both Leningrad and Moscow in our game.

Post #: 14
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/18/2018 4:14:51 PM   
smokindave34

quote:

Great pics !

We will find out shortly.....

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 15
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/19/2018 9:39:02 AM   
smokindave34

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheLysander

Very nice AAR. Love the pictures that come along with the tactical view.

Thank you Lysander

(in reply to TheLysander)
Post #: 16
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/19/2018 12:15:20 PM   
aldiladeisogni1

Good Luck Dave!

Post #: 17
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/19/2018 1:11:53 PM   
aldiladeisogni1

I agree he should do an AAR. He is a very good player indeed. He captured both Leningrad and Moscow in our game.

HI
Thanks, you're good too.
I have little time to do AAR and I'm already doing it on the Italian forum.

< Message edited by aldiladeisogni1 -- 2/19/2018 1:23:22 PM >

Post #: 18
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/19/2018 6:37:32 PM   
STEF78

Another nice AAR, I will follow!

(in reply to aldiladeisogni1)
Post #: 19
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/20/2018 1:08:58 AM   
smokindave34

Turn 3

Army Group North

Brian pulls back his forces in the north. I was not expecting this move after his aggressive stance in the south. I would have left a unit in Pskov and the swamps just to the east.

XXXI panzer corps captures Pskov while I rest LVI panzer corps in preparation for a push north to Leningrad. Infantry continue to march east. I put Model in charge of I corps and Hollidt in charge of II corps.

LVI panzer corps resting and refitting west of Pskov

I infantry corps on the march to Pskov and on to Leningrad.....

(in reply to STEF78)
Post #: 20
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/20/2018 1:47:31 AM   
smokindave34

Turn 3

Army Group Center

Much to my surprise Brian pulls back his forces in the center as well. Very light defenses west of Smolensk. In addition my recon is not picking up any defenses along the upper Dnepr. I take the same approach I did in the north....one panzer corps moves east and one stays put to rest and refit.

In the 4th Army area of operations the 18th panzer division crosses the Berezina river. I wanted to get a friendly hex on the eastern side of the river for my infantry next turn. I diverted the 17th infantry division to the swamps to cut the rail line of the Southwest Front troops. I don't want to get caught in a battle in the swamps but this seemed like a worthy move to cut the rail line to these troops

Russian prisoners captured during Army Group Centers opening thrust into the Soviet Union

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 2/20/2018 1:48:11 AM >

Post #: 21
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/20/2018 1:56:20 AM   
smokindave34

Turn 3

Army Group South

I don't like the way this is developing. I have 2 Armies worth of Soviet forces in my grasp but can't close the deal. Cutting the rail lines has helped but my panzers are getting drawn into fighting in poor terrain when they should be heading east. I'm expecting that in the end I'll capture these units but it could slow me down. I need to work on my extended Lvov opening.

Brian decides to hold the Rumanians at the Denstr River in the south.

Army Group South units begin to break into the open terrain.

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 2/20/2018 1:57:06 AM >

Post #: 22
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/20/2018 9:33:24 AM   
tyronec

quote:

I seem to remember they didn't quite make it last time...

Looks good for AGS, presume your rail line is from NE Romania so scrapping West of Kiev will not slow things up, though would have blocked that 2=12 infantry stack as they they are going to reduce supplies to your panzers.

Post #: 23
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/20/2018 12:56:08 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

quote:

Looks good for AGS, presume your rail line is from NE Romania so scrapping West of Kiev will not slow things up, though would have blocked that 2=12 infantry stack as they they are going to reduce supplies to your panzers.

Yup yup yup. Don't know about other people but flank security >>> PZ thrust for me. But yeah Brian staying close in the South is a godsend :)

Napoleon

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 24
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/20/2018 10:43:51 PM   
smokindave34

quote:

quote:

I seem to remember they didn't quite make it last time...

You are correct sir - those units gave me trouble the very next turn.

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 2/20/2018 10:44:00 PM >

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 25
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/20/2018 10:45:15 PM   
smokindave34

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yup yup yup. Don't know about other people but flank security >>> PZ thrust for me. But yeah Brian staying close in the South is a godsend :)

I haven't figured Brian out yet. He is holding close in the south and running hard to the east in all areas north of the marshes. Not what I was expecting. I'm not pocketing many units but I'm farther east than I would have predicted for our current turn.

Post #: 26
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/21/2018 12:57:00 AM   
SparkleyTits

Yeah I am with you Dave not seeing Brians overall plan yet

Good job on the landbridge I always fall flat early there!

Post #: 27
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/25/2018 5:33:58 PM   
smokindave34

Turn 4

Army Group North

A fairly quiet turn across all fronts. Brian has pulled back across the entire front. I continue my strategy of resting one panzer corps in each army group while another panzer corps of each army moves east to flip hexes in an effort to get the infantry to the fighting quicker.

In the north 4th panzer army reaches the Luga line. The first serious resistance is met on the Luga and I see multiple units dug in. The infantry should be here next turn to start dislodging these defenders.

Mobile units of 4th Panzer Group moving north towards Leningrad.

Army Group Center

More of the same here. Very little resistance is met and XXIX Panzer corps starts to clear the area east of Smolensk. My goal here is to clear the Dnepr river line and the way to Vyazma.

9th army infantry marching to the sound of the guns......

In the south I cut more rail lines in an attempt to trap SW front forces in the marshes. This is going on much longer than I wanted

Army Group South

Now that the rail lines to the swamps are cut I can finally get my panzers out of this poor terrain and on to their next objective of crossing the Dnepr.

Final remnants of Soviet units in the Lvov pocket

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 2/25/2018 5:35:10 PM >

(in reply to SparkleyTits)
Post #: 28
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/25/2018 7:10:06 PM   
SparkleyTits

I'd take a guess at this point Brian is hoarding strength until the reinforcements start to pour in then he might try his more usual style of brawling

Post #: 29
RE: A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) - 2/26/2018 3:33:10 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

In the north 4th panzer army reaches the Luga line. The first serious resistance is met on the Luga and I see multiple units dug in. The infantry should be here next turn to start dislodging these defenders.

Better flank Security Dave but playing Brian I would make sure I had no gaps. :-).

Napoleon

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> A Test of Wills -----Dave (Axis) vs. Brian G (Soviets) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI