Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RADM Carter H

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RADM Carter H Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RADM Carter H - 2/15/2018 3:22:01 PM   
spence

It's Dec 1942 and just for grins I was looking over the list of possible TF commanders when I found this individual who has the highest possible rating for air operations: 99. In addition his surface rating is none to shabby: 91. I was unfamiliar with this individual so I looked on the web for him. Couldn't find him although possibly he comes from a naval family (like the McCains). Anyways does anybody know about this guy?

(I noticed that unlike almost everybody else on the listing there is no comma between the H and Carter: significant?)
Post #: 1
RE: RADM Carter H - 2/15/2018 5:11:37 PM   
wegman58

Just a thought - see if your local library has Morrison's history of WW II for the Navy. See if he is in the index.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 2
RE: RADM Carter H - 2/15/2018 6:28:59 PM   
spence

I finally checked the list of US Navy WW2 Admirals on Wikipedia (which may or may not be complete) but it appears that 5 superlative Rear Admirals included in the game never actually were real people. They appear to be primarily distinguishable by the fact that they have only an initial as opposed to a first name and that initial is not separated from the last name by a comma. Also they have at least one skill set having a value that is in the mid-90s and a leadership or inspiration value that is totally a non-sequitur.

They are with skills leadership inspiration surface land air admin aggression:

RAdm Bannister J 31/75 58/5/91/94/64
RAdm Carter H 94/67 91/13/99/71/46
RAdm Gilbert 43/66 98/5/34/85/64
RAdm Jamison 91/35 57/5/51/91/51
RAdm Keller 10/47 94/17/26/95/67

Just so's you know

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 3
RE: RADM Carter H - 2/15/2018 6:47:10 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

The Japanese have a similar bunch of supermen. Probably to help the AI, or leftovers from testing they forgot to delete.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 4
RE: RADM Carter H - 2/15/2018 7:37:34 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

I finally checked the list of US Navy WW2 Admirals on Wikipedia (which may or may not be complete) but it appears that 5 superlative Rear Admirals included in the game never actually were real people. They appear to be primarily distinguishable by the fact that they have only an initial as opposed to a first name and that initial is not separated from the last name by a comma. Also they have at least one skill set having a value that is in the mid-90s and a leadership or inspiration value that is totally a non-sequitur.

Just so's you know

Shhh. Stop spilling the beans man...

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 5
RE: RADM Carter H - 2/15/2018 7:41:33 PM   
rustysi

These guys are available in the game?

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 6
RE: RADM Carter H - 2/15/2018 7:42:54 PM   
ericv

Did you know Morison's books can be borrowed online at archive.org for free? 5 books at the same time, for a max of 14 days, after which you can borrow them again!

Here is a screenshot

Attachment (1)

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 7
RE: RADM Carter H - 2/15/2018 10:59:32 PM   
dcpollay

quote:

Just so's you know

My guess would be they are Easter Eggs from the devs....People who were rewarded for their help with a "part" in the cast.

"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 8
RE: RADM Carter H - 2/16/2018 12:23:49 AM   
spence

quote:

My guess would be they are Easter Eggs from the devs....People who were rewarded for their help with a "part" in the cast.

Wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. Weird combo of leadership and inspiration though to say nothing of the 'over the top' ratings in various combat skills.

(in reply to dcpollay)
Post #: 9
RE: RADM Carter H - 2/16/2018 1:47:45 AM   
mind_messing

There's a RADM Banister (one N), and a RADM Carter WR. Possibly data entry errors?

No Jamison, Gilbert or Keller as far as I can see.

I assume these are Admirals in the USN leader pool? If so, there's no point checking other national navies if they're definitely American.

In all likelihood they are easter eggs or a holdover from development. Might be worthwhile crossreferencing with the game credits.

I do enjoy mysteries like these; searching the internet is fun!

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 10
RE: RADM Carter H - 2/16/2018 2:21:25 PM   
wegman58

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericv

Did you know Morison's books can be borrowed online at archive.org for free? 5 books at the same time, for a max of 14 days, after which you can borrow them again!

Here is a screenshot

No - I didn't. This might be good for a lot of our players if they are interested in some of the things that happened.

I have hard copies - except the index. Don't know what happened to that.

(in reply to ericv)
Post #: 11
RE: RADM Carter H - 2/16/2018 3:05:13 PM   
Yaab

quote:

It's Dec 1942 and just for grins I was looking over the list of possible TF commanders when I found this individual who has the highest possible rating for air operations: 99. In addition his surface rating is none to shabby: 91. I was unfamiliar with this individual so I looked on the web for him. Couldn't find him although possibly he comes from a naval family (like the McCains). Anyways does anybody know about this guy?

(I noticed that unlike almost everybody else on the listing there is no comma between the H and Carter: significant?)

I guess he cannot be killed either. His hidden luck roll must be 91 or more... Good luck trying to sink him with his ship.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 12
RE: RADM Carter H - 2/16/2018 5:16:17 PM   
BillBrown

I believe that in the stock scenario data files, all of the leaders had commas in their name and that the ones without commas were generated by the game engine. I have noticed that
in at least some of the mods the mod designers did not follow that convention.

In scenario 1, there is no Carter H in the data file.

< Message edited by BillBrown -- 2/16/2018 5:18:20 PM >

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 13
RE: RADM Carter H - 2/18/2018 1:01:39 AM   
Blackhorse

quote:

None of those leaders are in stock WitP-AE. If they are easter eggs, they are eggs whipped up in an alternative scenario.

In the original WitP (predecessor to AE) most of the leaders were fictional. In AE we tried to ensure that all the 2-to-5 star flag ranks were real people.* Many historical one-stars, Colonels and (Naval) Captains were also included. Nearly all the leaders that only have initials are computer-generated. Most (but not all!) leaders that were added by the devs have either a first name or nickname, and not just initials.

Fx, President Roosevelt's son is in the game as a (LTC) Raider battalion commander. And it costs extra PP to swap him out, should you desire.

*China and Russia were not closely scrubbed. But we've got the historic commanders of the Indian National Army when they arrive to support the Japanese in 1943.

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 14
RE: RADM Carter H - 2/18/2018 9:28:13 AM   
Omat

Leaders with an , are from the Database. Leaders without a , are created by the engine ingame.

Example

RADM Name, H. (This is a leader from the database)
RADM Name H. (The engine create this leader ingame at a certain point)

So RADM Carter H was created in his game from the engine. Therefore he is not an easter egg.

< Message edited by Omat -- 2/18/2018 9:29:28 AM >

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
Bertrand Russell

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 15
RE: RADM Carter H - 2/18/2018 12:23:25 PM   
Blackhorse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Omat

Leaders with an , are from the Database. Leaders without a , are created by the engine ingame.

Example

RADM Name, H. (This is a leader from the database)
RADM Name H. (The engine create this leader ingame at a certain point)

So RADM Carter H was created in his game from the engine. Therefore he is not an easter egg.

Omat,

Good catch. So, three types of leaders in the game:

1. Historical, added by humans, in the leader database, generally indicated by first names and/or nicknames.
2. Computer-generated, in the database, indicated by a "," after the last name, followed by an initial or initials.
3. Computer-generated, in game (not in the leader data base), indicated by no "," after the last name.

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

(in reply to Omat)
Post #: 16
RE: RADM Carter H - 2/18/2018 12:27:26 PM   
Canoerebel

My first guess when I saw "Carter, H." was Hodding Carter III, but it turns out he was a Marine anyway. Many of you Americans of a certain age 55+ will remember him or his name will sound vaguely familiar.

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 17
RE: RADM Carter H - 2/18/2018 12:50:08 PM   
Blackhorse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

My first guess when I saw "Carter, H." was Hodding Carter III, but it turns out he was a Marine anyway. Many of you Americans of a certain age 55+ will remember him or his name will sound vaguely familiar.

I remember him as a government spokesman at an awful time (Iran hostage crisis, circa 1970-80, IIRC). He was too young to be in WWII. A great quote from his famous father:

"Television news is like a lightning flash. It makes a loud noise, lights up everything around it, leaves everything else in darkness and then is suddenly gone."

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 18
RE: RADM Carter H - 2/19/2018 3:52:35 PM   
Yaab

A Carter with AIR rating of 99. John Carter maybe?

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 19
RE: RADM Carter H - 2/24/2018 9:24:54 AM   
Sardaukar

Well, even I am in War Plan Orange (now obsolete WitP-derivative)) as CO of BC Lion. That was for helping testing the game WAY back then.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RADM Carter H Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI