Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bombing ports

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Bombing ports Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bombing ports - 1/30/2018 5:52:42 PM   
thedoctorking

Lesson learned in the 2by3+ game:

I tried bombing Sevastopol to isolate the units there in my game as the Germans vs. SparklyTits. No luck, only got up to like 11% after several turns of bombing. So I figured bombing ports was a lost cause. Nope. Crackaces got to 67% in one turn against the little port in the Leningrad pocket, isolating two whole armies.

Make sure to assign like six AAA units to that port once Leningrad is in danger of being cut off. Other folks probably knew this but it was a surprise to me.
Post #: 1
RE: Bombing ports - 1/30/2018 5:56:17 PM   
Telemecus

Also Sevastopol is a level 15 port - meaning it needs 96% damage to shut down. Practically no chance of doing that by bombing. By contrast level 1 ports only need either 1% or 4% damage - very doable.

quote:

ORIGINAL: thedoctorking
Make sure to assign like six AAA units to that port once Leningrad is in danger of being cut off. Other folks probably knew this but it was a surprise to me.

Flak will not do it. You need fighters. And you need to put the bases of those fighters in one very specific hex - remember the two bombings per hex rule applies to all kinds of bombing!

quote:

Crackaces got to 67% in one turn against the little port in the Leningrad pocket, isolating two whole armies.

One turn?

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 1/30/2018 6:17:07 PM >

(in reply to thedoctorking)
Post #: 2
RE: Bombing ports - 1/30/2018 6:27:11 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

I tried bombing Sevastopol to isolate the units there in my game as the Germans vs. SparklyTits. No luck, only got up to like 11% after several turns of bombing. So I figured bombing ports was a lost cause. Nope. Crackaces got to 67% in one turn against the little port in the Leningrad pocket, isolating two whole armies.

I will post in our AAR, but I will post here that this was not done all in one turn. It was a steady process starting turn #4. In fact, a couple of turns I achieved only 4% damage and the port repaired 3% of the damage the next turn. Other turns were much more fruitful with 9% more damage at the end of the Soviet turn. If you think, the port was sealed on turn 11 and I started on turn 4 that is 8 turns of bombing. I think I could have done it in 6 but as a team we balanced the needs of the center command and the need for dive bombers. Plus I threw away Stukas one turn ground bombing trapped Soviets
So 8 turns (including turn #4 , mission takes 67%, average of 7% damage each turn. (Remember the port repairs before the logistics phase.)

It might be worth stationing 3 airbases with fighters over Osinovets, and attaching flak SU's to the airbases, along with HQ's with flak attached. That would certainly discourage Stuka (dive bomber) attacks, which was the main driver of port damage. The exhaustion of Soviet fighters and a couple of turns where no fighters flew certainly did not provide resistance.

< Message edited by Crackaces -- 1/31/2018 2:56:50 AM >

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

Post #: 3
RE: Bombing ports - 1/30/2018 7:46:56 PM   
thedoctorking

Oh, OK, I was just oblivious. Bad play on my part.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 4
RE: Bombing ports - 1/30/2018 9:26:20 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

Oh, OK, I was just oblivious. Bad play on my part.

I do not think it was poor play. For example, You had an air marshal for X number of turns that did not notice either.

Despite it all -- Leningrad is not going to fall any earlier than the 8MP game that forced the Neva and occupied Osinovets. Though I have Leningrad cut off -- I still have to get across the Neva. Much of my force went South to cutoff Novgorod

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

Post #: 5
RE: Bombing ports - 1/31/2018 1:27:41 AM   
thedoctorking

I was looking at the "report" screen every turn, but I think that if a hex gets observed and then bombed the observed icon shows up. I was just like OK, German air recon in the Leningrad region, not surprising.

Of course, in addition, we had no air support since the air commander had every plane in the inventory back in Siberia. Oops.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 6
RE: Bombing ports - 1/31/2018 2:52:38 AM   
Crackaces

quote:

I was looking at the "report" screen every turn, but I think that if a hex gets observed and then bombed the observed icon shows up. I was just like OK, German air recon in the Leningrad region, not surprising.

Of course, in addition, we had no air support since the air commander had every plane in the inventory back in Siberia. Oops.

Make sure you check the middle left part of the battle report with an arrow. In one instance there were 6 battle reports —4 recon and 2 attacks. I will post all the results in the AAR.

Post #: 7
RE: Bombing ports - 1/31/2018 3:15:05 AM   
thedoctorking

Also, I probably should be looking at the "battle" tab in the commander's report every turn.

so much to think about in this game.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 8
RE: Bombing ports - 1/31/2018 2:30:14 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

It is a good point and has been raised before. It would make sense sometimes to be able to filter out the recon icons from the map to allow you just to see easily the other air missions.

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Bombing ports Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI