Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

DE366 US Arctic Convoy to USSR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> DE366 US Arctic Convoy to USSR Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DE366 US Arctic Convoy to USSR - 1/16/2018 6:51:35 PM   
ikrananka

Playing the 1939 campaign as the Axis against the AI. Having captured the UK and Ireland, the only convoy that was left in operation was the Arctic convoy from the US to Murmansk (USSR). Later Finland joined the Axis and so I moved the Northernmost Finnish garrison next to Murmansk where it stopped due to the presence of a Russian garrison. I also moved a more southerly Finnish unit eastward and severed the road link from Murmansk to rest of the USSR just north of Kem.

Now, according to the 1939 strategy guide, having an Axis unit within 3 hexes of Murmansk should have triggered the convoy route switching its destination to Archangelsk. In my game this did not occur. Why not?

Also, if one cuts the road between Murmansk and the rest of the USSR shouldn't this also trigger the convoy route being switched to Archangelsk?

What I also found odd was that I was still able to raid this convoy route with reports of the USSR losing MPP due to my raids. With my Finnish garrison next to Murmansk and the road cut this convoy should have ceased to operate (at least via Murmansk).

Also, I can find no description of DE 366 in the games documentation.

< Message edited by ikrananka2 -- 1/16/2018 7:01:54 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: DE366 US Arctic Convoy to USSR - 1/16/2018 8:58:25 PM   
Harun

moved question to its own thread upon request..

< Message edited by Harun -- 1/16/2018 9:09:39 PM >

(in reply to ikrananka)
Post #: 2
RE: DE366 US Arctic Convoy to USSR - 1/16/2018 9:03:08 PM   
ikrananka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harun

Can I add my convoy raiding questions here, too?

You really should start your own thread as your question is not directly related to mine.

(in reply to Harun)
Post #: 3
RE: DE366 US Arctic Convoy to USSR - 1/17/2018 1:18:11 PM   
Hubert Cater

I'll ask Bill to confirm but after looking at the scripts it looks like the condition on 3 Axis units in range of Murmansk only applies from the UK convoy to Murmansk and not when it is a US convoy to Murmansk. In terms of the road being cut off this will have no effect and only because of how the game mechanics work. Usually it is only if the port is lost or damaged below strength = 5 that an alternate convoy is triggered, or unless it is specifically scripted to fail such as the 3 Axis units in range condition etc.

For DE 366 there is no description for this one and other similar events as these are internal dummy events we use to trigger other events, so no description warranted.

(in reply to ikrananka)
Post #: 4
RE: DE366 US Arctic Convoy to USSR - 1/17/2018 1:35:33 PM   
ikrananka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

I'll ask Bill to confirm but after looking at the scripts it looks like the condition on 3 Axis units in range of Murmansk only applies from the UK convoy to Murmansk and not when it is a US convoy to Murmansk. In terms of the road being cut off this will have no effect and only because of how the game mechanics work. Usually it is only if the port is lost or damaged below strength = 5 that an alternate convoy is triggered, or unless it is specifically scripted to fail such as the 3 Axis units in range condition etc.

For DE 366 there is no description for this one and other similar events as these are internal dummy events we use to trigger other events, so no description warranted.

Thanks for looking into this Hubert. Just to clarify, the 1939 campaign strategy guide infers that only a single Axis unit is required within 3 hexes of Murmansk, whereas you state 3 Axis units are required. So, is it one or three Axis units?

To my mind, it makes no sense for the presence of Axis units to only affect the UK to Mumansk convoys and to not also affect the US to Murmansk convoys in the same way.

Understood about the road not affecting things and the lack of DE 366 description. Thanks for letting me know.

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 5
RE: DE366 US Arctic Convoy to USSR - 1/17/2018 1:37:52 PM   
Hubert Cater

Yes sorry, one unit within 3 hexes and the lack of a similar condition for the US to Murmansk convoy might just be an oversight or I might be missing something else in the scripts which is why I've asked Bill to confirm.

(in reply to ikrananka)
Post #: 6
RE: DE366 US Arctic Convoy to USSR - 1/17/2018 1:44:36 PM   
ikrananka

quote:

Yes sorry, one unit within 3 hexes and the lack of a similar condition for the US to Murmansk convoy might just be an oversight or I might be missing something else in the scripts which is why I've asked Bill to confirm.

Great - thanks Hubert :) Looking forward to Bill's response.

Post #: 7
RE: DE366 US Arctic Convoy to USSR - 1/17/2018 3:19:58 PM   
Hubert Cater

I've conferred with Bill and I had indeed read the scripts wrong and there are those in place to cover a US to USSR convoy so the only thing I can think of is that perhaps your Axis unit was only temporarily within 3 hexes of Murmansk? If this is the case it would explain it as the Axis unit needs to be within 3 hexes permanently in order to knock out the Murmansk convoy via those scripted effects.

Is this possibly the case?

< Message edited by Hubert Cater -- 1/17/2018 3:20:18 PM >

(in reply to ikrananka)
Post #: 8
RE: DE366 US Arctic Convoy to USSR - 1/17/2018 4:31:59 PM   
ikrananka

quote:

I've conferred with Bill and I had indeed read the scripts wrong and there are those in place to cover a US to USSR convoy so the only thing I can think of is that perhaps your Axis unit was only temporarily within 3 hexes of Murmansk? If this is the case it would explain it as the Axis unit needs to be within 3 hexes permanently in order to knock out the Murmansk convoy via those scripted effects.

Is this possibly the case?

It was a Finnish garrison unit. I moved it to the hex immediately north of Murmansk, next to the USSR garrison unit that was in Murmansk, and I left it there permanently, for many turns. Could the problem be that it was just a garrison unit?

Post #: 9
RE: DE366 US Arctic Convoy to USSR - 1/18/2018 4:23:28 PM   
BillRunacre

I wish that were the case ikrananka2, but the engine will check for all land/air units regardless of type.

So we still have a mystery on our hands...

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to ikrananka)
Post #: 10
RE: DE366 US Arctic Convoy to USSR - 1/18/2018 9:30:47 PM   
ikrananka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Runacre

I wish that were the case ikrananka2, but the engine will check for all land/air units regardless of type.

So we still have a mystery on our hands...

I just loaded up one of my save games, moved the garrison away (beyond 3 hexes of Murmansk), completed the turn, and then moved it closer to within three hexes, in the hope this might trigger the convoy route being changed. Unfortunately , it did not. Oh well, the mystery thickens.

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 11
RE: DE366 US Arctic Convoy to USSR - 1/19/2018 1:39:10 PM   
Hubert Cater

Can you send me the saved turn to support@furysoftware.com?

Thanks,
Hubert

(in reply to ikrananka)
Post #: 12
RE: DE366 US Arctic Convoy to USSR - 1/19/2018 2:53:39 PM   
ikrananka

quote:

Can you send me the saved turn to support@furysoftware.com?

Thanks,
Hubert

Email sent

Post #: 13
RE: DE366 US Arctic Convoy to USSR - 6/11/2020 4:36:18 PM   
nnason

This was a long time ago but I don't see a resolution. Two questions:
1. What stops the convoys to Murmansk?
2. Can the British or the USA stop the convoys on their own?

Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired

(in reply to ikrananka)
Post #: 14
RE: DE366 US Arctic Convoy to USSR - 6/11/2020 5:05:33 PM   
PvtBenjamin

1)I (as Allies) always made capturing Petsamo a top priority so haven't seen this in a while but I think its still if a Axis unit is with 3 hexes of Murmansk.

2) War Maps (top) => Convoys => Brit or US Icon set the amount of convoys (can be 0) from GB or US

< Message edited by PvtBenjamin -- 6/11/2020 5:06:47 PM >

(in reply to nnason)
Post #: 15
RE: DE366 US Arctic Convoy to USSR - 6/11/2020 5:24:09 PM   
The Land

quote:

ORIGINAL: nnason

2. Can the British or the USA stop the convoys on their own?

They'll be able to suspend them in War Maps just like any other convoy.

(in reply to nnason)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> DE366 US Arctic Convoy to USSR Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI