Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RF Gun Bn

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RF Gun Bn Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RF Gun Bn - 1/12/2018 10:22:15 AM   
Zerberus_MatrixForum

What's your opinion about the best use of the jap. RF Gun BNs with their light AT Guns. Do they have any use in Burma against allied Tanks or are they better in island defense against landing ships?
Post #: 1
RE: RF Gun Bn - 1/12/2018 3:20:20 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zerberus

What's your opinion about the best use of the jap. RF Gun BNs with their light AT Guns. Do they have any use in Burma against allied Tanks or are they better in island defense against landing ships?

RF guns are the Japanese term for anti-tank guns. Light AA guns for the Japanese are called Machine Cannon.
Only coast defence and dual purpose guns really fire at amphib ships. The landing craft and their troops are hit by shore fire and it is in a combat report about losses while "unloading on the beach". Landing craft smaller than LCT/barges are not mentioned specifically.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Zerberus_MatrixForum)
Post #: 2
RE: RF Gun Bn - 1/13/2018 8:06:35 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zerberus

Historically Japanese AT efforts were not so hot. Don't recall the against armor rating of these units in game. Don't think that early game the Brits have much armor in the game, and what they have seems to dissolve pretty easily when in combat. Maybe because I've only fought them when they're unsupported (i.e., no infantry).

That being said I tend to use what's available in areas where I have limited integrated (i.e., already supplied in an ID) AT capability. For example, when I have an independent infantry brigade or regiment which hasn't any internal AT strength, I'll try to add one of these AT Bn's. Just makes sense to me to have 'combined weapons' capability wherever I can. How effective that'll be in game I have no idea as yet, and I've been at it a while.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Post #: 3
RE: RF Gun Bn - 1/18/2018 5:49:27 AM   
Zerberus_MatrixForum

Thanks for the input, makes planning a little bit easier again ...

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 4
RE: RF Gun Bn - 1/18/2018 8:59:17 AM   
GetAssista

RFs are also aeromobile. Great for emergency reserves

Post #: 5
RE: RF Gun Bn - 1/18/2018 3:32:39 PM   
Disco Duck

At the Nimitz Museum there is a Stuart with a hole in the front and the AT gun that did it. I think it was a 37mm. I haven't been able to get up there in a while.

There is no point in believing in things that exist. -Didactylos

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 6
RE: RF Gun Bn - 1/19/2018 12:54:24 AM   
Mikawa

They are better than nothing

(in reply to Disco Duck)
Post #: 7
RE: RF Gun Bn - 1/25/2018 10:48:40 AM   
SheperdN7

Put them in Burma or on Atolls. They are the best anti-tank defence that the Japanese have so they do have value. I believe the 47mm Type 1 gun could penetrate Sherman front armour at ranges less than 800 yards (with AP rounds) in real life and what I know of it is that it was sub par compared to western designs but still well regarded by soldiers on both sides as being a reliable and effective gun.

Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner

(in reply to Mikawa)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RF Gun Bn Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI