Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Coastal Artillery Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Coastal Artillery Question Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 6/29/2019 5:58:03 PM   
Lobster

With .30 works better. With .21 it's a joke.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lobster -- 6/29/2019 5:59:27 PM >

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

(in reply to Cabido)
Post #: 31
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 6/29/2019 8:30:30 PM   
sPzAbt653

There you go, it's that easy. Thanks Jack!

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 32
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 6/29/2019 8:33:22 PM   
Lobster

I don't know how accurate it is. From some of the stuff I've read it's fairly difficult for either side to get a hit. More of a deterrent to keep troop ships away maybe? And when ships start lobbing large shells they tend to throw up masses of dust that make it hard to even see the target.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 6/29/2019 8:35:10 PM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 33
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 6/29/2019 11:51:01 PM   
Zovs

So when will .30 be ready?

Just adding coastal arty to my WIE scenario and fine tuning the naval attrition divider.

Now if someone could answer my mud scalar question I’ll set that appropriately.

War in the East/War in the East II - Alpha Test Teams
WarPlan Beta Tester
DG CWIE2 tester/SPWW2 and SPMBT playtester/scenario creator

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 34
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 8/20/2019 5:13:17 PM   
rmeckman

I'm new to this forum but have a possible explanation for the frequent evaporation of coastal batteries when they fire on ships. I came across the problem while attempting to modify the Weserubung scenario to use the new naval rules. When ships come within range of a coastal fortress, the fortress guns fire on the ships using the naval combat procedure, just as one expects. However, the ships' counterbattery fire on the fortress is also resolved using the naval combat procedure rather than the land bombardment rules. Each piece of equipment in the fort is treated as a ship in the counterbattery combat resolution.

As an example, shown below are some lines from the TOAW log file after the German cruiser Königsberg comes within range of a Norwegian coastal fortress. The fortress has already fired, and the Königsberg has been allocated counterbattery shots on the fortress using the naval formula. One of those shots is targeted at a Norwegian infantry squad within the fortress, and here are the results in the log:

FleetCombat: Target Unit Leröy Fort.
FleetCombat: Target Equipment NO Landvern Squad.
FleetCombat: Chance shock hit rnd(1,75)*100>rnd(1,65)*100.
FleetCombat: Weather Modifiers Total = 0.700000 Source(13) = 0.330000, Target(11) = 0.660000.
FleetCombat: Chance guns hit range 5.000000.
FleetCombat: Chance guns hit .86(odds)*.70(weather).
FleetCombat: Chance guns hit 60>rnd(1,100).
FleetCombat: Damage 1 hit 42>rnd(1,2).
Combat : NO Landvern Squad destroyed. (specificAttrit=1)
FleetCombat: Penetration hit rnd(1,42/2)>rnd(1,0).
FleetCombat: Penetration 2 hit 3 = rnd(1,4)*rnd(1,50)/21.
FleetCombat: Critical chance 1

The first hit check is made assuming the squad is a ship with an agility of 65. The second hit check is resolved normally using range, weather, and the Königsberg's accuracy. Next, the 1% damage check is performed assuming the squad has a durability in the 20s. This 1% damage immediately "sinks" the squad. Penetration is computed assuming an armor rating of zero, which causes 3% more damage; that damage is assessed by eliminating three more squads. All other equipment in the fortress is treated the same way as this squad.

In essence, the ships' counterbattery fire treats the fortress equipment as a flotilla of easily sinkable ships. In most scenarios, the naval rules generate more than enough shots in one counterbattery firing round to "sink" all the equipment in the fortress and cause it to evaporate.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 35
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 8/21/2019 9:22:28 AM   
Shadrach

quote:

In essence, the ships' counterbattery fire treats the fortress equipment as a flotilla of easily sinkable ships. In most scenarios, the naval rules generate more than enough shots in one counterbattery firing round to "sink" all the equipment in the fortress and cause it to evaporate.

Now that's what I call proper detective work and fact-finding!

(in reply to rmeckman)
Post #: 36
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 8/21/2019 9:45:11 AM   
Lobster

So making any equipment a virtual ship is something that happens because the unit has a coastal artillery icon?

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 37
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 8/21/2019 4:33:14 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

the naval rules generate more than enough shots in one counterbattery firing round to "sink" all the equipment in the fortress and cause it to evaporate.

I am not the naval guy, but isn't this why there is a Naval Attrition Divider [so that Shots Fired Per Round can be scaled to the Game Scale] ?

(in reply to rmeckman)
Post #: 38
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 8/21/2019 5:37:00 PM   
VHauser

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
I am not the naval guy, but isn't this why there is a Naval Attrition Divider [so that Shots Fired Per Round can be scaled to the Game Scale] ?

From what I've determined, the NAD affects the vulnerability of naval units but not the number of shots fired.

I've tried lowering the NAD in Europa 1947, but this just results in naval units being massacred by air units and other naval units. Sure, coastal artillery will also join the massacre, but even the survival of minimal naval units means the destruction of the coastal artillery.

Alas, lowering the NAD doesn't solve the problem.

Member since May 2000 (as VictorHauser)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 39
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 8/21/2019 5:55:10 PM   
VHauser

Here is a possible work around.
Use the RR-artillery symbol, but only deploy in hexes that don't have rail lines (put a rail in the hex, then add the "coastal artillery", then erase the rail in the hex). This solves the 0-movement problem (meaning that such "coastal artillery" should not be able to retreat), but has its own share of side effects.

Indeed, the 0-movement problem is the biggest issue to deal with regarding any coastal artillery work around. In other words, permanently emplaced artillery must have 0 movement and not be able to retreat.

(in reply to VHauser)
Post #: 40
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 8/21/2019 6:11:39 PM   
Zovs

For my War In Europe scenario some units I used a static icon for the first and the coastal for the 2nd icon. For the dedicated coastal I just used the default but I had to jack up the NAD due to the naval units getting creamed and sunk too easily.

Seems to work ok.

I had to do a bunch of tests to get to feel right.

War in the East/War in the East II - Alpha Test Teams
WarPlan Beta Tester
DG CWIE2 tester/SPWW2 and SPMBT playtester/scenario creator

(in reply to VHauser)
Post #: 41
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 8/21/2019 6:18:55 PM   
76mm

There two different coastal artillery icons; does this problem arise with both of them?

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 42
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 8/21/2019 6:55:02 PM   
VHauser

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

There two different coastal artillery icons; does this problem arise with both of them?

Yes, unfortunately.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 43
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 8/21/2019 6:59:26 PM   
VHauser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

For my War In Europe scenario some units I used a static icon for the first and the coastal for the 2nd icon. For the dedicated coastal I just used the default but I had to jack up the NAD due to the naval units getting creamed and sunk too easily.

Seems to work ok.

I had to do a bunch of tests to get to feel right.

I just tested this and it did not work for me--the static/coastal artillery unit was instantly destroyed.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 44
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 8/21/2019 7:30:27 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

I've tried lowering the NAD in Europa 1947, but this just results in naval units being massacred

Try testing it with a setting of 100, because going up REDUCES the number of shots and has nothing to do with vulnerability levels. Going down INCREASES number of shots. Its the same way with the non-naval AD.

(in reply to VHauser)
Post #: 45
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 8/21/2019 7:30:43 PM   
VHauser

After further testing, the "RR artillery solution" for the coastal artillery problem does indeed work, but the cure is perhaps worse than the disease. You might want to mess around with it some, but I do not recommend this "solution" to the coastal artillery problem.

(in reply to VHauser)
Post #: 46
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 8/21/2019 7:33:50 PM   
VHauser

quote:

Try testing it with a setting of 100, because going up REDUCES the number of shots and has nothing to do with vulnerability levels. Going down INCREASES number of shots. Its the same way with the non-naval AD.

Europa 1947 has a default NAD of 100. I've tested it at 100 and I've tested it at 10. In both cases, the coastal artillery is instantly destroyed.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 47
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 8/21/2019 7:49:54 PM   
sPzAbt653

Where can I find that scenario? I don't see it in Modern Misc and I'd rather not search thru all folders.

(in reply to VHauser)
Post #: 48
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 8/21/2019 8:01:55 PM   
VHauser

quote:

Where can I find that scenario? I don't see it in Modern Misc and I'd rather not search thru all folders.

It's in the Hypothetical folder.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 49
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 8/21/2019 8:07:29 PM   
sPzAbt653

Not here ... heck with folders, I searched my computer and couldn't find it. So I guess it didn't ship with IV ? Ok then, just give me a standard scenario that shipped with IV that anyone is having this issue with so that I can get into it.

And maybe I'm wrong but it seems like we've been thru this before [and right here in this very thread!].

(in reply to VHauser)
Post #: 50
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 8/21/2019 8:36:33 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: VHauser

Here is a possible work around.
Use . . .

Maybe you can build a new costal gun that has the attributes of a tank and extremely high agility. Make it hard to hit and difficult to penetrate.

Or, try deploying a stack of costal units. Might take several combat rounds to destroy them all.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

(in reply to VHauser)
Post #: 51
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 8/21/2019 8:38:02 PM   
VHauser

quote:

Not here ... heck with folders, I searched my computer and couldn't find it. So I guess it didn't ship with IV ? Ok then, just give me a standard scenario that shipped with IV that anyone is having this issue with so that I can get into it.

And maybe I'm wrong but it seems like we've been thru this before [and right here in this very thread!].

No need. I've spent the past day-and-a-half messing with this and I'm pretty convinced that there is no solution to this problem without re-writing some of the game code. And even that might not be worth the effort because "fixing" this problem might break something else.

The scenario I'm working on has to deal with the entire European coastline (with emphasis on a reinforced Atlantic Wall), which means that broken coast artillery also breaks my scenario. But that's my problem. If I can't "solve" it with some sort of workaround, then I'll have to shelve this project. Oh well.

The good news is that most TOAW scenarios don't include coast artillery, so players still have lots of scenarios to choose from.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 52
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 8/21/2019 9:11:25 PM   
sPzAbt653

But Vic, go to the WWII - West Front folder and open up a new game of Overlord 44. You can move the Allied ships all up and down the coast and experience a lot of shore fire and counterbattery, but nothing like is being described in this thread. So here is the thing, from my chair, there is no need to mess with this. It works fine. No one has been able to give me a stock scenario that displays this behaviour, and until that happens so that it can be reproduced in a controlled test, there is nothing for me to report as needing a fix.

quote:

I'm working on has to deal with the entire European coastline

I get that, I've done a few myself, and they work fine. Here is one example: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4378627
Here is another: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4384926&mpage=1&key=

No they weren't in the release, but they were initially and were removed at the eleventh hour by my choice. I bring these up because they were designed and/or tested/adjusted with IV. I'll also add that during development the NAD Setting was identified as having a definite effect on scenarios, and because of that we tested and reset [where necessary] the NAD for all of the release scenarios.

< Message edited by sPzAbt653 -- 8/21/2019 9:12:17 PM >

(in reply to VHauser)
Post #: 53
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 8/21/2019 9:22:23 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

But Vic, go to the WWII - West Front folder and open up a new game of Overlord 44. You can move the Allied ships all up and down the coast and experience a lot of shore fire and counterbattery, but nothing like is being described in this thread. So here is the thing, from my chair, there is no need to mess with this. It works fine. No one has been able to give me a stock scenario that displays this behaviour, and until that happens so that it can be reproduced in a controlled test, there is nothing for me to report as needing a fix.

quote:

I'm working on has to deal with the entire European coastline

I get that, I've done a few myself, and they work fine. Here is one example: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4378627
Here is another: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4384926&mpage=1&key=

No they weren't in the release, but they were initially and were removed at the eleventh hour by my choice. I bring these up because they were designed and/or tested/adjusted with IV. I'll also add that during development the NAD Setting was identified as having a definite effect on scenarios, and because of that we tested and reset [where necessary] the NAD for all of the release scenarios.

Steve, check to see if you're playing with a version later than 4.1.0.25 - that's the version where Ralph fixed this.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 54
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 8/21/2019 9:47:22 PM   
VHauser

I'm running version 4.1.0.23. Where do I get a later version?

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 55
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 8/21/2019 10:04:45 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: VHauser

I'm running version 4.1.0.23. Where do I get a later version?

You wait for the next update release.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to VHauser)
Post #: 56
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 8/21/2019 10:12:28 PM   
VHauser

Ah, then if I'm running the latest released version and my coastal artillery is broken, do you recommend I shelve my project until a later version is released that solves this problem?

Post #: 57
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 8/22/2019 12:56:19 AM   
rmeckman

One TOAW IV stock scenario that has a evaporating coastal fort is Fall Weiss 1939. On turn 1 for the Germans, move the Schleswig-Holstein one hex to the northeast. The Laskowshiego coastal battery on the Hel Peninsula will fire at the ship. Although the ship will take some damage (largely due to the high number of shots stemming from a naval divider of 10), the fort usually evaporates. The naval combat rules will be used both for the fort's fire and the ship's counter fire. Here is one of the fortress MMGs being taken out in the log file:

FleetCombat: Target Unit bat.Laskowskiego.
FleetCombat: Target Equipment Medium MG.
FleetCombat: Chance shock hit rnd(1,59)*100>rnd(1,9)*80.
FleetCombat: Weather Modifiers Total = 0.910000 Source(11) = 1.000000, Target(11) = 0.660000.
FleetCombat: Chance guns hit range 4.990000.
FleetCombat: Chance guns hit .91(odds)*.91(weather).
FleetCombat: Chance guns hit 82>rnd(1,100).
FleetCombat: Damage 1 hit 380>rnd(1,2).
Combat : Medium MG destroyed. (specificAttrit=1)
FleetCombat: Penetration hit rnd(1,380/2)>rnd(1,0).
FleetCombat: Penetration 2 hit 15 = rnd(1,38)*rnd(1,50)/21.
FleetCombat: Critical chance 15

In this case, the penetration caused 15% additional damage, which is assessed by taking out 15 more MMG teams. So this one shot took out 1+15=16 of the 24 MMGs in the fortress.

(in reply to VHauser)
Post #: 58
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 8/22/2019 1:58:59 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

check to see if you're playing with a version later than 4.1.0.25 - that's the version where Ralph fixed this.

Yeah, that's what I said posts ago - that it may be fixed and if I'm given a scenario to test then I will find out for sure, but they never gave me one, so ...

... but I think that means that any scenarios where the NAD was raised for IV should now be revisited. [I've noticed that the NAD setting of 100 has resulted in less naval hits in the beta versions].

Post #: 59
RE: Coastal Artillery Question - 8/22/2019 2:03:52 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

One TOAW IV stock scenario that has a evaporating coastal fort is Fall Weiss

Thanks for looking into this. That would be my fault because I think I mistook this one for Grun and skipped it as being land locked.

< Message edited by sPzAbt653 -- 8/22/2019 2:16:15 AM >

(in reply to rmeckman)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Coastal Artillery Question Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI