Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Intel CPU issues

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Intel CPU issues Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Intel CPU issues - 1/6/2018 12:26:31 PM   
kevinkins

Surprised the malicious code can be written in JS and it's short. Two articles for those interested in going under the hood:

https://www.react-etc.net/entry/exploiting-speculative-execution-meltdown-spectre-via-javascript

https://react-etc.net/page/meltdown-spectre-javascript-exploit-example

(in reply to Cik)
Post #: 31
RE: Intel CPU issues - 1/6/2018 10:46:56 PM   
mavfin

I've never had any issues with CPU usage with Command. Any issues I've had involve GUI freezing, and not because it's CPU intensive. But that's still being worked on.

My old (2011) 6-core Xeon works great.

(in reply to Cik)
Post #: 32
RE: Intel CPU issues - 1/6/2018 11:08:37 PM   
thewood1

This thread isn't about absolute CPU usage. Its about impact on Command by any patch that addresses the new chip security issues.

(in reply to mavfin)
Post #: 33
RE: Intel CPU issues - 1/9/2018 2:33:43 PM   
stilesw

Here is some more news re

Warning: Microsoft's Meltdown and Spectre patch is bricking some AMD PCs

https://betanews.com/2018/01/08/microsoft-meltdown-spectre-patch-bricks-amd-pcs/

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 34
RE: Intel CPU issues - 1/9/2018 2:40:33 PM   
zakblood

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

This thread isn't about absolute CPU usage. Its about impact on Command by any patch that addresses the new chip security issues.

atm it's effecting more SDD's than CPU's in real world tests

https://www.techspot.com/article/1556-meltdown-and-spectre-cpu-performance-windows/

just look at the SDD's returns

< Message edited by zakblood -- 1/9/2018 2:44:27 PM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 35
RE: Intel CPU issues - 1/9/2018 2:53:05 PM   
thewood1

I think that is what I said was the result on the previous page a couple days ago. Both my machines have SSDs. The analyst I work with running tests confirmed that SSDs seem to take a bigger hit than HDDs, but they both take some kind of performance hit in Command.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 36
RE: Intel CPU issues - 1/9/2018 3:03:52 PM   
thewood1

The main thing I got out of that link was this...

"On the GPU front, Nvidia is reportedly also affected, so there will be loads of additional tests to be done when time comes. Our interpretation from Nvidia's blog is that they rely on CPU-like aggressive branch prediction on their GPU architectures. It's part of their performance gains over consecutive generations. The flaw appears to be the same as Intel CPUs, in that speculative operations occur without security checks first, as a secure design should be done."

That is the main concern I have right now. While I think we are starting to get a handle on the Intel issue, this little nugget makes me biggly concerned about the eventual impact on nVidia chipsets.

edit: Got an nVidia driver update this morning and accepted it for install. After reading above article, I did some digging and that new driver was released specifically to address Spectre bug.

< Message edited by thewood1 -- 1/9/2018 3:16:16 PM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 37
RE: Intel CPU issues - 1/10/2018 2:26:26 PM   
stilesw

And, some more information for anyone interested:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/9/16868290/microsoft-meltdown-spectre-firmware-updates-pc-slowdown

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 38
RE: Intel CPU issues - 1/10/2018 3:12:57 PM   
stilesw

And some possible mitigation from "Windows Secrets":

How to Protect Against the Meltdown and Spectre Vulnerabilities

https://windowssecrets.com/windows-secrets/how-to-protect-against-the-meltdown-and-spectre-vulnerabilities/

(in reply to stilesw)
Post #: 39
RE: Intel CPU issues - 1/11/2018 4:17:09 AM   
HalfLifeExpert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dimitris

The coming CMANO update includes a number of performance improvements that should likely compensate for the raw CPU throughput reduction.

Any idea on a rough ETA?

I played some Command today on my main PC (Windows 7 64bit with a Haswell i5), along side a couple other games. The only problem I had with Command was in one of the new CSP scenarios, Halloween Horror, 1991, where the map seemed to get very slow. The drop down menus seemed okay, as did other scenarios, so I don't know if this was an issue with the scenario or if it had to do with this patch worries.

The other two games I fired up today on my main PC were Half Life 2 and Cold Waters. No issues with the former, the latter seemed to load a little longer than usual.

I should also mention that Command, as well as all my games plus my Steam install, are on a secondary internal HDD, with my OS on an SSD. Cone to think of it I don't think I noticed any issues until today with the Halloween Horror Scenario, which I had only briefly looked at before.

< Message edited by HalfLifeExpert -- 1/11/2018 4:48:03 AM >

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 40
RE: Intel CPU issues - 1/11/2018 11:40:30 PM   
thewood1

I'm a little skeptical you can really notice the changes by eye, especially if running off a HDD. I would try benchmarking it.

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 41
RE: Intel CPU issues - 1/14/2018 4:07:21 PM   
stilesw

Another info update:

From Windows Secrets - January 11, 2018

Patch Watch: Tracking Issues with the Spectre Patches on AMD Machines
Top Story: Susan Bradley
Beware, AMD chip owners.
For you Windows Secrets readers who have computers with AMD inside, these Spectre/Meltdown patches are causing more issues than they are preventing. So much so that Microsoft has halted release of the updates on machines that have AMD chipsets. Some of the relevant security posts include the following:
• Microsoft's KB4073707 on the issues with AMD chip sets and how Microsoft is blocking the patches until the issue is resolved.
• Microsoft's KB4073757 recapping the overall guidance
Let's recap the big picture:
• Intel CPU chips have a bug in their very architecture.
• Researchers found a way for attackers to possibly steal passwords and other confidential information from our machines. As of publication, the attack has not been used in the wild. However, the potential is there and it'sreally concerning up in cloud servers as it could mean that fellow virtual servers could read information from a tenant next door.
• It won't be enough to patch for the Windows operating system, you'll need to patch the firmware on your computer as well.
• It's not a Microsoft bug, but because everything uses CPUs, pretty much everything needs to be patched ranging from phones to firewalls. So after you get your patches for Windows, go look for updates for anything else that has a CPU included in it (I'm not kidding or overstating the issue).
• A bigger concern to many will be the performance hit this "fix" will make on your system as discussed in a Microsoft blog. The older your computer the more the "hit" will be. If you have a computer that is a 2015-era PC with Haswell or older CPU - you will notice a difference.
• CERT goes so far as to recommend replacing the CPU hardware in their blog post. I'm not ready to go that far, but it would be wise to review how old your computer hardware is, evaluate the performance hit and plan accordingly.
Check That Your Antivirus Is Supported
Because this is a kernel update, antivirus vendors who have hooked into the kernel for additional protection could trigger blue screens of death if they are not updated for the change introduced by this patch. Thus Microsoft is requiring that before the January Windows and .NET updates are installed that a registry entry is made by the vendor - or by you if your vendor doesn't provide the registry key in an update - before the January updates are installed.
Make sure you review the antivirus listing page that is tracking all of the antivirus vendors and when they plan to support these January updates. If your vendor doesn't support these updates, it's time to find a new vendor. If you don't use antivirus (say on a specialized server), you'll need to manually add the following:
• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
• SOFTWARE
• Microsoft
• Windows
• CurrentVersion
• QualityCompat
In the right hand side in the registry look for the value as shown below:
• Value Name="cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc"
• Type="REG_DWORD”
• Data="0x00000000”
For those who have to patch servers, you need to be aware that you'll need to perform all the steps done as you did on Windows client workstations - checking that antivirus is ready, and installing the updates - but also manually add two or three registry keys on the server. You will need to add two registry keys for a "normal" server, and all three registry keys as noted in the KB4072698 if the server is a HyperV or virtualization host.
The registry keys that need to be added include:
• reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
• reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverrideMask /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f
• reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Virtualization" /v MinVmVersionForCpuBasedMitigations /t REG_SZ /d "1.0" /f
And finally remember that just about every device uses CPU chips. Start reviewing your phones, your devices, to see if these items need patches and firmware updates as well.

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 42
RE: Intel CPU issues - 1/29/2018 12:53:18 PM   
kevinkins

Intel's new chips out this year so they say:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/26/intel-spectre-meltdown-chips/

"Intel will release updated chips with built-in mitigations for Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities later this year. The announcement was made by chief executive Brian Krzanich during the company's fourth quarter earnings call, and follows flawed patches by Intel and Microsoft that caused random rebooting issues on older and newer CPUs."

(in reply to stilesw)
Post #: 43
RE: Intel CPU issues - 1/29/2018 12:54:31 PM   
BDukes

Looks like story continues on an issue that never was.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 44
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Intel CPU issues Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI