Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

EFB Siege of Kiev

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> EFB Siege of Kiev Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
EFB Siege of Kiev - 12/30/2017 2:36:11 AM   
Silvanski

EFB Siege of Kiev

Scenario design by: Don Lazov

TOAW IV conversion by Silvanski

This scenario recreates the first of the series of games that came from 3W's:
Blitzkrieg in the South
East Front Battles Series #1
-
Scenario 1
Siege of Kiev
-

Date: August 1, 1941
Map Scale: 5 km per hex
Time Scale: Half-Week Turns
Unit Scale: Division/Regiment/Brigade
First Turn: Axis German 6th Army
Length: 5 Turns

::PBEM::
::PO::

Attachment (1)

The TOAW Redux Dude
Post #: 1
RE: EFB Siege of Kiev - 1/1/2018 4:20:45 AM   
DanNeely

I gave this one a quick whirl vs Elmer.

I ran into a few issues; most seriously that the German offmap airfield is both lacking a supply point and was within range of the soviet rail artillery allowing the Russians to kill most of the aircraft on turn 1.

Other than that the main problem I ran into was that there's nothing on map to cover the German right flank; and on both turn 1 and a few turns later when the main counter attack occurred the Soviets launched large attacks along the southwest bank of the river. I suspect the scenario'd work better with German brigade/regiment sized units that would allow covering the flank more easily. I suspect smaller units would've helped Elmer'd Russians avoid getting pocketed and wiped out during the counter attack too.

As it was I ended up with about half my divisions split at any time between dealing with flank attacks and generating surrounds; and after 8 fairly chaotic turns which briefly saw about half the German army cut off from supply and the entire force reorganizing a turn later, ended with all but one of the minor victory hexes in German control. 1 more turn would almost certainly have seen the last one retaken and the last Russian remnants mopped up.

Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man ... weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not [it] an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
--Zachris Topelius

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 2
RE: EFB Siege of Kiev - 1/1/2018 4:38:34 AM   
DanNeely

I moved the airfield beyond reach of the railroad artillery and added a supply point, but didn't make any other changes.

Attachment (1)

Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man ... weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not [it] an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
--Zachris Topelius

(in reply to DanNeely)
Post #: 3
RE: EFB Siege of Kiev - 1/1/2018 4:45:00 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanNeely
I moved the airfield beyond reach of the railroad artillery and added a supply point, but didn't make any other changes.

This thread is already dedicated to Silvanski's original scenario. Maybe you should move your update to a different
thread so I can list it in the Grand Master List of Scenarios. What do you think about that?

"Am I in hell? I thought there would be more country western music."
Paulogia, 2019

(in reply to DanNeely)
Post #: 4
RE: EFB Siege of Kiev - 1/1/2018 4:45:09 AM   
Silvanski

quote:

Some of these older scenarios have glitches in them. Thanks for tweaking this one

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to DanNeely)
Post #: 5
RE: EFB Siege of Kiev - 1/1/2018 5:43:42 AM   
DanNeely

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

quote:

This thread is already dedicated to Silvanski's original scenario. Maybe you should move your update to a different
thread so I can list it in the Grand Master List of Scenarios. What do you think about that?

If I'd done a substantial rework (eg splitting down to brigade/regiment sized units), I probably would have; just fixing the airfield was a quick bandaid on what was either a mistake in the original authors design, or something that was broken in the TOAW IV conversion I didn't think it was worth a separate thread.

--Zachris Topelius

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 6
RE: EFB Siege of Kiev - 1/1/2018 8:27:59 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
quote:

If I'd done a substantial rework (eg splitting down to brigade/regiment sized units), I probably would have; just fixing the airfield was a quick bandaid on what was either a mistake in the original authors design, or something that was broken in the TOAW IV conversion I didn't think it was worth a separate thread.

Works for me if you're happy.

"Am I in hell? I thought there would be more country western music."
Paulogia, 2019

(in reply to DanNeely)
Post #: 7
RE: EFB Siege of Kiev - 1/1/2018 9:23:25 AM   
JapLance

You can always split German Divisions yourself if you need to cover a longer frontline.

I just played against the Soviet PO with Silvanki's conversion, and found it easy to get through the Soviet lines. My only problem is that the scenario is extending through an unusual number of turns. It says 5 turns, and I know that scenarios can last longer than the number of turns indicated by the briefing, but I'm playing turn 15 right now, which seems a bit over the top.

Attachment (1)

Greetings from Spain.

(in reply to DanNeely)
Post #: 8
RE: EFB Siege of Kiev - 1/1/2018 9:26:25 AM   
Oberst_Klink

Just turn the 'variable turn length' off.

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to JapLance)
Post #: 9
RE: EFB Siege of Kiev - 1/1/2018 5:16:48 PM   
JapLance

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

Klink, Oberst

Thanks, just did that.

I thought that adding a +20 distance to the airfield hex would be enough to avoid the bombarding, but to my surprise it's not. Rail artillery has a range of 12, but still can reach a +20 hex. Is this working as it should?

Greetings from Spain.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 10
RE: EFB Siege of Kiev - 1/1/2018 5:24:12 PM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: JapLance

quote:

Klink, Oberst

Thanks, just did that.

I thought that adding a +20 distance to the airfield hex would be enough to avoid the bombarding, but to my surprise it's not. Rail artillery has a range of 12, but still can reach a +20 hex. Is this working as it should?

Compañero

Can you dump you already modified version into the cloud or here? I'll have a look at it. Also busy finalising Tutorial '45, but will do.

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to JapLance)
Post #: 11
RE: EFB Siege of Kiev - 1/1/2018 5:25:42 PM   
Silvanski

quote:

That adds to the range of the aircraft to reach its target. A solution can be to swap out the gun for one with a shorter range.

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to JapLance)
Post #: 12
RE: EFB Siege of Kiev - 1/1/2018 5:43:34 PM   
JapLance

quote:

Compañero

Can you dump you already modified version into the cloud or here? I'll have a look at it. Also busy finalising Tutorial '45, but will do.

Klink, Oberst

Sure, here it is. A 20 second job . Added +20 distance and a 100 Supply point to the airfield hex.

Found the reference in the manual to distant hexes:

quote:

10.4.3. BomBardment of or from dIstant loCatIons

In some Scenarios, some locations may be
“Distant.” These locations are usually used to
represent off-map Anchorages and/or Airfields
and are frequently surrounded by Non-Playable or
Deep Water locations. The distance of a Distant
location is included when determining attack
ranges. Distant hex values have no effect on
movement, however.

Also:
quote:

17.2.2. map edItor defInItIons

Distance (available only from popup menu):
You can set a Distance Value for the location.
Bombardment missions against or from
distant hexes adds the distance value to the
bombardment range. The maximum distance
is 254, and the minimum (and default) is 0.

I'd say it's not working as it should. On the other hand, in TOAW3 it works perfectly. The Rail Artillery unit can't reach the airfield once you add the distance.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Silvanski

That adds to the range of the aircraft to reach its target. A solution can be to swap out the gun for one with a shorter range.

I know, but I thought it was a good trade off for not losing most of your Ju-88 by the 2nd turn.

Still. I played the scenario as the Germans a couple of times and had no problems getting most victory points, and as the Soviet played once and kept the Germans out of Kiev and most objectives (without bombarding the airfield).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by JapLance -- 1/1/2018 6:11:27 PM >

Greetings from Spain.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 13
RE: EFB Siege of Kiev - 1/1/2018 9:22:21 PM   
DanNeely

quote:

I'd say it's not working as it should. On the other hand, in TOAW3 it works perfectly. The Rail Artillery unit can't reach the airfield once you add the distance.

Sounds like a bug then. Makes me wonder if it's broken in both directions, or only for incoming fire?

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Silvanski

I know, but I thought it was a good trade off for not losing most of your Ju-88 by the 2nd turn.

Agreed, and since the Germans wouldn't've put their planes within range of those huge guns, any advantage gotten from being a bit closer isn't something they should have really had anyway.

quote:

Still. I played the scenario as the Germans a couple of times and had no problems getting most victory points, and as the Soviet played once and kept the Germans out of Kiev and most objectives (without bombarding the airfield).

Sounds like it's reasonably balanced overall then; Elmer just doesn't do well with low unit densities.

--Zachris Topelius

(in reply to JapLance)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> EFB Siege of Kiev Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI