Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Disband Unit

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> War In Russia: The Matrix Edition >> Disband Unit Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Disband Unit - 5/25/2003 3:44:50 PM   
jcj

Perhaps this already an option in the new version that I am not aware of...

I think it would be a good idea to have the option to disband a unit. This would be useful when starting the 44 campaign for instance as the Germans so that you could disband all the very week infantry units and use the squads to reinforce the remaining units. The Luftwaffe field units could go as well during 42. Just an option to make the game more intersting.

It may not be possible to implement though, I'm thinking it may be too big a part of code.

If there is a way to do this please post it! :)
Post #: 1
Re: Disband Unit - 5/27/2003 7:48:42 AM   
Ed Cogburn

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jcj
[B]Perhaps this already an option in the new version that I am not aware of...

I think it would be a good idea to have the option to disband a unit. This would be useful when starting the 44 campaign for instance as the Germans so that you could disband all the very week infantry units and use the squads to reinforce the remaining units. The Luftwaffe field units could go as well during 42. Just an option to make the game more intersting.

It may not be possible to implement though, I'm thinking it may be too big a part of code.

If there is a way to do this please post it! :) [/B][/QUOTE]

You can use editwir.exe to load any scenario and "remove" a unit by setting its delay to 255. At that setting it will never return to the game.

(in reply to jcj)
Post #: 2
- 5/28/2003 7:19:04 AM   
Denniss

The intention to use a "disband unit" command is to use the squads/equipment from the disbanded unit for other units as replacements - it's better to have some stronger divisions with 50% instead of many divs with 30% strength

Just editing the unit out of the game won't free up this Squads/equipment

Please correct me if I'm wrong

(in reply to jcj)
Post #: 3
- 5/30/2003 4:26:59 PM   
Ed Cogburn

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Denniss
[B]The intention to use a "disband unit" command is to use the squads/equipment from the disbanded unit for other units as replacements - it's better to have some stronger divisions with 50% instead of many divs with 30% strength

Just editing the unit out of the game won't free up this Squads/equipment

Please correct me if I'm wrong [/B][/QUOTE]

Since you're using editwir, there is nothing stopping you from adding the squads from the removed unit to your squad pool for other use. Since most units we're talking about removing come into play with a small number of squads and equipment anyway, it isn't a big deal. If the unit comes in with 20 squads, put those squads in your pool and remove the unit. The only difference is your getting those initial squads at the beginning and not when the unit would have arrived, but again, we're not talking about a lot of squads, so I don't see it as some significant advantage.

(in reply to jcj)
Post #: 4
- 6/7/2003 6:58:23 AM   
Mist

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ed Cogburn
[B]Since you're using editwir, there is nothing stopping you from adding the squads from the removed unit to your squad pool for other use. Since most units we're talking about removing come into play with a small number of squads and equipment anyway, it isn't a big deal. If the unit comes in with 20 squads, put those squads in your pool and remove the unit. The only difference is your getting those initial squads at the beginning and not when the unit would have arrived, but again, we're not talking about a lot of squads, so I don't see it as some significant advantage. [/B][/QUOTE]
Hello Ed! how are you?
If I would not know you, I would think that you are talking this seriously. Well, there are many things that can be done with ediwir. Everyone knows this. More than this. I would prefer to use MS Excel wir editor which helps to manage those units very easily. The problem is that units can not be disbanded ingame. Though, algorithm already exists: just "shatter" friendly units on player demand.
BTW: Is WIR still being developed?

(in reply to jcj)
Post #: 5
- 6/7/2003 7:49:29 AM   
Ed Cogburn

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mist
[B]Hello Ed! how are you?
[/B][/QUOTE]

Fine!

[QUOTE][B]
If I would not know you, I would think that you are talking this seriously.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Hey, even jokester's like me know that when you *sound* serious, people pay more attention. :)

[QUOTE][B]
Well, there are many things that can be done with ediwir. Everyone knows this.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, but with only one person to work on it, don't expect much.

[QUOTE][B]
More than this. I would prefer to use MS Excel wir editor which helps to manage those units very easily.
[/B][/QUOTE]

That's great if you have Excel, but what about those of us who don't have that?

[QUOTE][B]
The problem is that units can not be disbanded ingame. Though, algorithm already exists: just "shatter" friendly units on player demand.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Why would you want to disband a division if its just temporary? That's the problem, the unit will come back, so if you want it to go away permanently you need a new routine in-game, or use editwir.

[QUOTE][B]
BTW: Is WIR still being developed?
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, Arnaud is still working on it part-time and Rick still heads the rest of the team, but note that I'm no longer an active member of the team.

(in reply to jcj)
Post #: 6
- 6/7/2003 5:35:18 PM   
Denniss

The temporarily disbanding frees up resources immediately for use in other divs in times of very low resources in manpower/material

It's possible to prevent new units from getting new manpower/material by setting OKW/OKH to low or zero replacement level (not very good as it prevents it from getting OP points and plane replacements) and to check these HQ each turn to move newly formed units out to a zero level secondary HQ
Or to disband the units again

BTW is it possible to get a separate replacement level selection for Air/Land units ?

Especially useful for 1941 winter time to keep low replacement for land combat units and higher level for Air units

(in reply to jcj)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> War In Russia: The Matrix Edition >> Disband Unit Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI