Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tiller's The First Blitzkrieg

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Tiller's The First Blitzkrieg Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tiller's The First Blitzkrieg - 12/18/2017 4:44:10 PM   
gwgardner

I was seduced by a Christmas sale on a John Tiller game. It was made in 2008, and is/was promised to be the first in a series covering all of the European theater. The second game covers the Med up to 1943. Each game in the series uses a portion of the same map, which is huge. I have read that Tiller intends to make more games in the series, but I'll not be expecting any soon, I guess. I believe this game was patched as recently as 2013?? Not sure.

Graphics are passable enough not to detract, but not inviting. The UI is simple, easily learned. Air units are off-board by theater, and can be called in for recon, interdiction, superiority, ground support. The screenshot shows a modded map.

Combined arms is implemented, many unit types. Stacking. High-level HQs. Supply extended by rail and mobile supply units.

17 scenarios from Poland to the Fall of France, Sealion, and a what if there was no Sitzkrieg.

screenshot is from the tutorial scenario, centered on the Polish Corridor.

http://www.johntillersoftware.com/StrategicWar/TheFirstBlitzkrieg.html

I give it about a 7 out of 10 so far, which could rise as I get into some more interesting scenarios.

Also, the AI is apparently based upon work that Tiller did for the military. Supposedly better than his older games.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 12/18/2017 6:15:54 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Tiller's The First Blitzkrieg - 12/18/2017 8:36:09 PM   
Lobster

Yes nice game. Waiting for the next one that should cover the East Front but I'm like you, I don't expect anything soon.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 2
RE: Tiller's The First Blitzkrieg - 12/18/2017 10:50:32 PM   
IslandInland

I've been thinking about picking up The First Blitzkrieg. It's on sale with ten dollars off at the moment.

I saw generals create imaginary "masses of manoeuvre" with a crayon and dispose of enemy concentrations, that were on the ground and on the map, with an eraser. Who was I to criticise them, hero as I was of a hundred "Chinagraph wars" of make-believe?

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 3
RE: Tiller's The First Blitzkrieg - 12/18/2017 10:54:42 PM   
Rosseau

Guys, I would have given you some of these games at this point, including the one the OP just bought. But no one reads my posts

EDIT: Offer is U.S. only, so that eliminates all you fine British folks!

Anyway, if you want the other one in the two-game series (War on the Southern Front) and live in the U.S., just PM me. Rich Hamilton has been very nice to me lately, but I must say (so far) the Tiller updates seem pretty much the latest HPS patches with a graphics mod. There is nothing wrong with this, as previous owners get the "Gold" for free, and it may hopefully attract new customers such as yourselves.

Personally, I found this series the least enjoyable of any HPS game, probably because it lacks the editing capabilities of the Panzer Campaign series. But most people don't care about that anyway. So hope you enjoy it!

< Message edited by Rosseau -- 12/18/2017 11:00:49 PM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 4
RE: Tiller's The First Blitzkrieg - 12/19/2017 2:39:53 AM   
CaptBeefheart

The John Tiller Software site is not accessible from Korea, and wasn't last time I checked a few months ago. Not the best way to garner sales.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. I found another link leading to the sales page: https://john-tiller-software.myshopify.com/collections/new-products

Cheers,
CC

< Message edited by Commander Cody -- 12/19/2017 2:41:36 AM >

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 5
RE: Tiller's The First Blitzkrieg - 12/19/2017 4:12:08 AM   
Strelaoz

JTS are aware of these issues.

Search for jtsmirror to find an Asia friendly alternative

David

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 6
RE: Tiller's The First Blitzkrieg - 12/19/2017 7:49:59 AM   
CaptBeefheart

I look at all those Tiller titles, and I wonder if I drop $40 on TOAW4 will I get the same content as about 20 of them (for about $800)? Can anyone speak to that?

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Strelaoz)
Post #: 7
RE: Tiller's The First Blitzkrieg - 12/19/2017 12:50:36 PM   
Lobster

I have a couple of Decision games, some Tiller Panzer Campaign games, Scherpunkt's WW2 Europe, GG War in the East and The Operational Art of War. They can all be said to be the same. Yet they are all different.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 8
RE: Tiller's The First Blitzkrieg - 12/20/2017 1:44:38 AM   
Rosseau

Other than the horrid interface and fact WW2 Europe still isn't finished. But I see your point!

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 9
RE: Tiller's The First Blitzkrieg - 12/20/2017 3:50:25 AM   
Lobster

Yeah, he's supposed to be working on making WW2 Europe function better. But it is a fun game to play once you get into it.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 10
RE: Tiller's The First Blitzkrieg - 1/13/2019 4:34:56 PM   
IslandInland

I bought The First Blitzkrieg and am enjoying it.

I also have Tiller's War on the Southern Front. There are graphics mods available here which make the games look a lot better. The vanilla maps are frankly horrible and I am indebted to the creator of these map mods for making these games look a hell of a lot better than they do 'out of the box'.

https://tfe4.wordpress.com/graphics-and-sound-mods/panzer-campaigns-and-other-hps-titles/

I saw generals create imaginary "masses of manoeuvre" with a crayon and dispose of enemy concentrations, that were on the ground and on the map, with an eraser. Who was I to criticise them, hero as I was of a hundred "Chinagraph wars" of make-believe?

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 11
RE: Tiller's The First Blitzkrieg - 1/13/2019 6:13:56 PM   
Rosseau

Bought FB and SF years ago, tried them a while back and for some reason they were my least favorite. Can't remember if it was lack of editing options, maps or scale. But on sale, certainly worth a look.

Currently working on Conflict over Vietnam air series. No database editor, but you can mod the text files. Then Conflict over Mideast (?) which is even better.

(in reply to IslandInland)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Tiller's The First Blitzkrieg Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI