Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/11/2017 10:38:35 PM   
John B.

Helllo all,

Inspired by the other after action reports I decided to both buy TOAW IV and give it a whirl. I've played through the Korean tutorial once as the Americans just to get a feel for the game and made it to a draw in part because I opted to not invade the north. Now, I'm taking on the capitalists as the original dear leader. A couple of notes. First, this is not a traditional tutorial with the "click here now click here" instructions. It's a full fledged simulation of the Korean War with some interesting twists thrown in such as a chance the the Puerto Rican separatists successfully assassinate President Truman. Second, overall, the game has not been very buggy for me at all. Oddly the screen goes blank sometime when I do long distance moves but that's the only real problem I've notice.

Post #: 1
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/11/2017 10:40:59 PM   
John B.

So here is the situation. Enraged by the thought of people freely ordering their own lives, Dearest Leader authorized the invasion of the puppet regime in the south (after receiving comrade Stalin's blessing of course). The proletariat forces managed to get all the way down to next to Pusan in the East Coast and about 1/2 the way down the West Coast before the capitalists struck back.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 2
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/11/2017 10:43:10 PM   
John B.

As you can see from the previous map, I almost had two divisions encircled on the east coast and the puppets were staring to hold firm on the East Coast. And, as you can also see, my supply lines were stretched past the breaking point. Basically, I was unable to crush the puppets quickly enough to win the game before the Americans came in. So, I killed off what ever formations that I could and I've started to retreat north.

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 3
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/11/2017 10:45:56 PM   
John B.

I've caused some pretty heavy losses to the puppets and wiped out two regiments of the American Capitalists, but it was not enough. My current plan is to run north and entrench around Seoul while pulling back into the homeland in the East. My hope is that the capitalists will come across the border so that our fraternal allies (AKA the Chinese) will come to our rescue. My airforce is gone since Elmer looooves to bomb airfields but I still have a majority of my armor units and I think I'll get a couple of turns to recover supplies before they hit me again.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 4
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/11/2017 10:51:29 PM   
John B.

This is the current situation. As I said, I'm digging in around Seoul and, as you can see, the supply levels here are much much higher. There even a rumor that our forces might get some food. I don't think that possession of urban hexes has any effect on replacement rates but Seoul is a large VP town and I'd like to think that if I"m fortified in the city it's got to help my combat ability. You'll also note that a little bird told me to garrison my ports so I've been sure to do that.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 5
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/11/2017 10:54:15 PM   
John B.

And, here is the top half of my current losses and men/equipment in inventory. Not fabulous, but it is not a catastrophe either. It's only late August so we'll have to see how long I can hold as there are a number of capitalist divisions arriving along with British and Turkish units. I was a bit spoiled by the Western theater recon in my first run through as I basically saw all the communist units and knew their condition. This time, I've been surprised to find units in my rear and, sometimes I know the condition of the units when I'm next to them and sometimes I don't.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 6
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/11/2017 11:21:16 PM   
John B.

So round one of the battle for Seoul has taken place and the capitalists have received a bloody nose. They frontally attacked and pushed me out of one hex. But, as you can see from the battle reports. They took heavy losses in the hex that they did not take.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 7
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/11/2017 11:22:14 PM   
John B.

My losses were more sustainable, especially since each and everyone of my soldiers is a wiling volunteer trying to make the world a better place.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 8
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/11/2017 11:32:01 PM   
John B.

Ok, you can see where I was pushed back a hex. I'll need to move a fresh formation into there but, they won't be dug in as well so are more likely to be pushed back. I do have more of a handle on how the capitalist units are doing since my recon level goes up when they're attacking me (some of my units have a special recon ability) and his front line troops are orange (bad) or red (worse).

I think his forces failed a proficiency check (his lackeys are all worn out from oppressing the workers and peasants army) so I think that meant that I got the initiative back which meant that I got two turns in a row. I think I hold the initiative until such time as my heroes get tired from exacting righteous vengeance on the landlord's minions but I'm not 100% sure about that. Meanwhile, no units north of the 38th parallel so no real news to report from our fraternal Chinese cousins.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 9
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/11/2017 11:38:27 PM   
DanNeely

quote:

ORIGINAL: John B.

So here is the situation. Enraged by the thought of people freely ordering their own lives, Dearest Leader

Do you want your grandchildren to die in a prison camp! It's Great leader and you know it. Kim Jong-il is only 9 years old and isn't leader of anything except his play group yet.

Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man ... weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not [it] an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
--Zachris Topelius

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 10
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/11/2017 11:40:15 PM   
John B.

D'oh!! Right. ALL HAIL GREAT LEADER!!!

(in reply to DanNeely)
Post #: 11
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/11/2017 11:40:23 PM   
DanNeely

I'll admit I'm curious how Elmer will do against your defense plan. Many years ago it proved a disaster for my PBEM opponent: He forced me to pause and resupply before breaking the line; afterwards I got near the Yalu with reasonably fresh troops and before the NK army had reconstituted in any force.

Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man ... weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not [it] an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
--Zachris Topelius

(in reply to DanNeely)
Post #: 12
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/12/2017 11:29:37 AM   
John B.

Well there was more blood spilled in Seoul which is now reduced to rubble (does that increase it's defense or is it just a a statement to make for the sit rep). I still hold my line and the capitalists continue to take heavy losses.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DanNeely)
Post #: 13
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/12/2017 11:31:04 AM   
John B.

And, I finally had the bright idea that perhaps my AA units would be better in the front fending off ground support than flirting with pretty proletariats in the rear area.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 14
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/12/2017 11:33:03 AM   
John B.

Unfortunately, all this glory is coming at a heavy price. In my part of the turn I did launch an attack against the puppets on the east coast that pushed them back a bit but the loss ratio was pretty even. That's a sad turn of affairs about which I'm not sure I-Can't-Believe-He's-Not-A-Great-Leader Leader might not approve.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 15
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/12/2017 11:37:04 AM   
John B.

Ok, this should be the right file. It looks as if I'm losing em faster than they're volunteering. But, it is near the end of September so hopefully weather kicks in sooner rather than later.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 16
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/12/2017 11:40:07 AM   
John B.

And, here is the current situation. First, I would like to point out to China that the puppets have crossed the border near Kangnung. I'm not sure how Mao can overlook this direct threat to the Chinese motherland. Near Seoul I hold all the hexes but my troops are getting worn down just like I'm sure the capitalists are as well. The capitalists are trying to sneak around northeast of Seoul so I'll have to move men up there.

Here's a question. I thought that one should put HQ and artillery into local reserve so that they can support multiple attacks/defenses. But, it seems they just move into a combat hex. Is there a better way to handle them?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 17
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/12/2017 11:54:36 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Here's a question. I thought that one should put HQ and artillery into local reserve so that they can support multiple attacks/defenses. But, it seems they just move into a combat hex. Is there a better way to handle them?

I've been putting the arty units in "T" status so that they will support attacks. And then at the end of the turn I
dig them in for asset sharing purposes. It's been working pretty well. And as you noticed the "L" status makes the
unit move toward the attacked hex each time there's an attack until it runs out of MP's remaining.

"Before you diagnose yourself depressed or having a low self-esteme first look around you to see if you aren't just surrounded by assholes."

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 18
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/12/2017 1:57:31 PM   
John B.

Larry, thanks! If I leave them in normal (or even dug in mode) will the automatically support defenses that are in range?

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 19
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/12/2017 2:06:42 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: John B.
Larry, thanks! If I leave them in normal (or even dug in mode) will the automatically support defenses that are in range?

If I recall correctly the arty unit must be in some degree of dug-in status or 'T' to support troops offensively or
defensively. So that's "D", "E", "F", and "T". I'm not sure about "L"....I think that makes it move during the
enemy turn.

"Before you diagnose yourself depressed or having a low self-esteme first look around you to see if you aren't just surrounded by assholes."

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 20
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/12/2017 2:19:17 PM   
John B.

That makes sense. I'll dig them in and see if they support multiple defenses. Thanks for your prompt answers!

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 21
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/14/2017 12:42:11 PM   
John B.

Back at it! As you can see, the puppets are advancing up the east coast while the capitalists are grinding their way into Seoul. The city center, reduced to rubble, has fallen and my main line of resistance is crumbling. You would think that a day of rest in the rear reading up on the great sayings of the Most Dearest of Leaders and several struggle sessions would be enough to refresh my reserves, but, you would be wrong. Today's youth would rather get some sleep and bind their wounds than reflect on the dialectic. Honestly, it makes me wonder why we even try to enslave the world anymore. :) In any event, I do have a couple of fresh formations to help stem the tide but I don't think we'll be able to hang on to any piece of S. Korea for long. I hope our fraternal cousins notice that now there are capitalists north of the 38th parallel as well as puppets!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 22
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/14/2017 12:43:12 PM   
John B.

The fact that there are not a whole lot of attacks gives me hope that the capitalists and puppets can't push their formations too far.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 23
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/14/2017 12:43:41 PM   
John B.

And they do have losses.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 24
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/14/2017 12:44:59 PM   
John B.

Lots of losses. One question is where to the damaged squads and devices go? Are they in the unit formation report? How long until they are repaired? I assume it's part of the unit readiness report.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 25
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/14/2017 12:46:26 PM   
John B.

Sadly, I have heavy losses as well. Each and every one died with praises for Fabulous Leader on his lips but still, I'm being ground down.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 26
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/15/2017 12:47:15 AM   
John B.

Aaannnddd, just like that, it's over. Both the puppets and the capitalists pushed up the east coast but were unable to take Wonsan. I got pushed out of Seoul but only with two months of heavy urban fighting. Not enough of the UN forces made it north of 38th parallel to trigger Chinese intervention. Fraternal cousins my behind, Mao's forces were acting more like fraternal first cousins once removed in the opinion of this Beloved Leader.

They were starting to break my line in the east and if the game continued it was time to bug out to the narrow part of the penninsula but it didn't so I didn't.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 27
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/15/2017 12:48:08 AM   
John B.

As you can see, there were heavy losses in the UN ranks.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 28
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/15/2017 12:48:47 AM   
John B.

And they lost a lot of tanks.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 29
RE: Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO - 12/15/2017 12:49:22 AM   
John B.

Of course, my losses weren't light either.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> Korea(Tutorial) N.Korea vs. PO Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI