Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Settings in Scenario Design, what do they do?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Settings in Scenario Design, what do they do? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Settings in Scenario Design, what do they do? - 12/5/2017 11:41:47 AM   
Grognerd_INC

Yes, I know this is a huge post with too many questions!!! Ha. But this information is mandatory for scenario design. The manual discusses these but does not state what the values do. It assumes the reader know the exact meaning of each (which, I might but I don’t want to assume).

Applies to both sides:

Set Attrition Divider – Does a higher value mean the combat casualties are higher? Lower less casualties? Values from 1 to 1000 default is 10.

Set Max Rounds Per Battle – Default at 99, limits are 1 to 99 – For a scenario at company level 6 hours per turn, I think I should set this low like 6 or so. Maybe for a two week per turn Corp level game it should be at 99. Is this close to how to use this?

Set AAA Lethality Level – 0 to 999, default to 100, seems like this is a multiplier, any thing under 100 is less lethal over is more. This correct?

Set Engineering Build Rates – 0 to 999, 100 is the default, over 100 takes longer?

Set Enemy Hex Conversion Costs – Same as above, over 100 takes longer?

Set Entrenchment Rates – Same as above, over 100 takes longer?

Set Density Combat Penalty Rates – Same as above, over 100 makes combat more lethal?

Set Supply Costs of Movement Rates – Same as above, over 100 costs more supply?

Set Readiness Costs of Movement Rates – Same as above, over 100 reduces readiness more?

Set Divisor of Improved-Road Motorized-Movement – 1 to 10, Higher values allow more movement on improved roads? Does this affect roads too or only improved roads?

Set Naval Attrition Divider – don’t know what this one does yet, never used, 1 to 1000, 10 is the default. I assume higher values give more hits/damage?

Applies to one side only:

Force Overall Proficiency – This one is understood (mostly), is changes values of units or formations or both?

Force Supply Stockpile Level – I assume this stock pile is at supply points? Does this allow for simulating a force that is isolated, but stock piled to continue effective fighting until events bring in more supply or stock pile runs out?

Force Precision Guided Weapons Level – Understood, I assume for WWII this should be 0, default is 20. Maybe modern combat would be real high?

Force Air Refueling Range Multiplier – Understood, WWII is zero.

Force NBC Proficiency – Understood, WWII is zero.

Force Night Combat Proficiency – Each force can be tailored as to night fighting, this also affects defending only I assume?

Electronic Support Level – Not sure what this simulates other than EW, values are 1 to 100, default at 33. What value is pertinent for WWII?

Force Communication Level – Might simulate radio comms efficiency or lack thereof? 25% to 100%, default is 100%. I assume 100% generally is more pertinent to modern warfare with satellite comms and such? In my scenario (Guadalcanal Campaign) I will experiment around 75% and see what happens.

Force Pestilence Level – 0 to 50%, not sure if this is concurrent with pestilence levels in the event engine or independent values. Need to understand this better, as I am going to simulate the Malaria and Dysentery issues from this campaign. I think this will remove squads as gone (ineffective), do they come back, or do I have to offset in replacements to simulate squads returns from sick bay?

Force Loss Intolerance – 10% to 999%, default at 100. Higher values make units disengage quicker?

Force Movement Bias – 50% to 150%, default at 100. Higher values make units spend more movement points per terrain costs?

Force ZOC Cost – 0% to 1000%, default at 100. Higher is costlier to move through or into ZOC?

Force Overextended Supply Threshold – 0 to 100, no default. Higher gives overextended units more supply?

Force Naval Critical Hit Scalar – 0 to 100, 10 is default. Higher is greater chance of being critically hit? I think I read this in a naval battle scenario dump, or briefing.

Force RFC Scalar – 0 to 100, default is 10. Not sure what this is yet, probably in the manual, might read some more scenario dumps/briefings.

< Message edited by larrybush -- 12/5/2017 11:42:06 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Settings in Scenario Design, what do they do? - 12/5/2017 12:03:02 PM   
Oberst_Klink

Larry,

see .TXT attached.

The rest is subsequently explained in section 8.5.1. Force Characteristics and
their effects
and following. Example:

Force Pestilence
(0-50%) – This value sets a percentage of equipment
lost to disease by every unit in the Force on every
Turn. Infantry, Horse Transport, and Cavalry
equipment is lost at this rate, while all other types
of equipment are lost at half this rate. Within each
individual location, the losses are multiplied by:
§ Frozen, Not Snowy: 1.1
§ Frozen, Snowy: 1.25
§ Hot, not Mud or Marsh: 1.1
§ Hot, Mud, or Marsh: 1.25
§ Unsupplied: 1.25
§ Seaborne Land Unit: 1.25
These multipliers are cumulative. The worst cases
are Unsupplied Frozen, Snowy, or Unsupplied
Hot Muddy locations, which would make the
multiplier 1.5625. If the overall Force Pestilence
value were set at 3%, losses in the worst-case
situations would actually be 4.69% for Infantry,
Cavalry, and Horse Transport equipment, and
2.34% for all other types of equipment. Half of
Infantry, Cavalry, and Horse Transport equipment
lost by units in Supplied locations are sent to the
Replacement Pool. All non-Infantry, non-Cavalry,
non-Horse Transport equipment lost by units in
Supplied locations is sent to the Replacement Pool
as well. All other Pestilence losses are permanent.
This value should rarely be set above 5%, and in
most cases should be lower. The default is 0%.
This value may be set from the OOB Editor (Edit
> Modify Current Force menu), or by use of the
Force Pestilence (Pestilence 1 or Pestilence 2)
Event effects.

As for the AD and MRPB, see manual and more detailed here -

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3045873

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Oberst_Klink -- 12/5/2017 12:30:52 PM >

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to Grognerd_INC)
Post #: 2
RE: Settings in Scenario Design, what do they do? - 12/5/2017 12:30:47 PM   
Grognerd_INC

Well that was helpful! Ha. I hope you didn't get this in the manual (because if you did, I'm blind!).

Sure did get most of the stuff answered, I salute you!

I've been dumping a lot of scenarios to read through, but it has not answered these questions, neither did the manual. (I'm pretty sure)

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 3
RE: Settings in Scenario Design, what do they do? - 12/5/2017 12:32:43 PM   
Oberst_Klink

I did ;) It's all in there... I am just good in locating stuff ;)

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.

Post #: 4
RE: Settings in Scenario Design, what do they do? - 12/5/2017 2:59:50 PM   
Grognerd_INC

Your most helpful, especially that link to attrition!

Yeah I've read 8.5.1, what's the matter with me! I forgot it was right in front of me, that's what happens when you get old and dim, I guess.

I tend to start in section 16.24 to read about the editor! I won't forget now!

But seriously to do any credible scenario design you must fully understand these items and their values.

I'm not afraid to ask stupid question either, worked on a launch site at VAFB for 25 years, with 400,000 lbs. or more of high explosives, toxic hypergolic propellants, working at heights (120 to 170 foot), with high pressures (6000 PSIG) and high voltages (12,000VAC & down) there was no such thing as a stupid question! One stupid mistake and we all would be memorialized on a bronze plaque somewhere on base! Some real crazy stories I could tell you! All true.

Post #: 5
RE: Settings in Scenario Design, what do they do? - 12/5/2017 3:16:56 PM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: larrybush

Your most helpful, especially that link to attrition!

Yeah I've read 8.5.1, what's the matter with me! I forgot it was right in front of me, that's what happens when you get old and dim, I guess.

I tend to start in section 16.24 to read about the editor! I won't forget now!

But seriously to do any credible scenario design you must fully understand these items and their values.

I'm not afraid to ask stupid question either, worked on a launch site at VAFB for 25 years, with 400,000 lbs. or more of high explosives, toxic hypergolic propellants, working at heights (120 to 170 foot), with high pressures (6000 PSIG) and high voltages (12,000VAC & down) there was no such thing as a stupid question! One stupid mistake and we all would be memorialized on a bronze plaque somewhere on base! Some real crazy stories I could tell you! All true.

Larry

there are no stupid questions; knock yourself out, eh? E.g. If you need TO&E for IJA units, company, battalion, regiment, well... I got WinSPWW2 (detailed for Coy level TO&E) and WitP AE, which is perfect for your Guadalcanal '42 @1km/hex I take it?

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.

Post #: 6
RE: Settings in Scenario Design, what do they do? - 12/5/2017 3:40:25 PM   
Grognerd_INC

I have a pretty big library of books I've collected over the years, that and Hyper-war website gives me pretty much all I need. Thanks you for the offer though.

Japanese are difficult because the units come in in small formations over the course of weeks via the Tokyo Express and a few transports groups (Transports, which only off loaded full compliments a couple of times before being intercepted by the Cactus Air Force). That gets a bit difficult to figure out.

The book I bought last week was a goldmine! "Guadalcanal the Definitive Account of the Landmark Battle" by Richard B. Frank. This is the first book that uses the 110 volume set of Japanese account of the war (this Japanese accounting was started in the mid 1960's and finished up in the mid 1970's)! Took the author a couple of years and several translators to get what he wanted out of it. So basically it shows the 6 month campaign from both sides view points. Best book I've ever read on Guadalcanal, and I've got 8 or so already.

Post #: 7
RE: Settings in Scenario Design, what do they do? - 12/5/2017 5:07:30 PM   
Grognerd_INC

Well Oberst_Klink, I just spent the last two and a half hours re-reading the manual, to make amends for a post that had the answers in the manual! Ha.

Found a couple things that make need to be changed concerning supply. I used Badlands and Dunes terrain for Jungle that cannot be entered by motorized or mixed units. (which is valid for this campaign) Might effect supply too much, just have to see how the play testing goes.

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Settings in Scenario Design, what do they do? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI