From: Bremen, Germany
1. Yes, we all still love Clash of Steel for that feature. :)
2. No, currently there isn't
3. Check the unit details. Each unit has a dozen of different values for soft and hard attack, air defense etc. When you compare an army with a corps, you will understand how valuable your armies are.
4. It is possible to attack bombers or fighters with your fightes. But during an enemy airstrike you can only watch, not interact on your own. On your turn, you can initiate air strikes against enemy air units. You need to target them to attack them. And you will only be able to attack them if they are in range, and if the weather conditions allow flights.
5. Better locate your fighters near the target of your bomber attack. Placing your fighters next to your bombers only helps if your fighter moves closer to the target, else it won't help much if you want to escort your bombers toward a far away target, they get no bonus range from being placed next to a bomber.
"You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die" (George MacDonald)