Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last man...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> After Action Reports >> FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last man... Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last man... - 12/1/2017 10:32:58 PM   
Taifun

This new AAR will be dealing about our current game "Fall Weiss II" (version 9.1). Me as Taifun will command the Axis forces and BPINisBACK the Allies. We are both old hands I suppose... furthermore BPINisBACK is well know for his latest AARs against Crispy... a heavy WEIGHT!! and he knows well FW II.

and I never played this version before so I will it discover during the game. Please, keep in mind that English is not my mother tongue... so... I will make grammatical mistakes for sure! Please fell free to comment or ask any question. I will give a few ideas of my Strategy during the play...

I will start with a brief review of the previous turns and then our "almost current" (as this AAR will be very graphic with almost no fog of war) and delayed a few turns.
I have been studying WWII for almost 25 years so I tried to be as historically accurate as possible. Poland fell in 3 turns, France was invaded in May 1940 as fell about beginning of August. The whole BEF was destroyed except the HQ which escaped to England although damaged. Then started the battle of Britain... heavy air fighting, no invasion and the end the British Empire lost the Bomber Command Wing, a BB, a CA and a CL. The Greeks and Yugoslavia are fighting in our side... In Africa the Italians went as far as the Alamein, activated the Iraqis, and the withdrew to Marsha Matruk.
It is now 29 May 1941. Barbarrossa just started...

La clé est l'état d'esprit
Post #: 1
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/1/2017 10:57:47 PM   
Taifun

Convoy losses so far... the British subs are alive near Norway ...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 2
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/1/2017 11:05:35 PM   
Taifun

The fact that Iraq was on our side since so early has hurt the British economy greatly. Let's take a look at the MPPs...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 3
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/1/2017 11:12:36 PM   
Taifun

Germany has invested greatly in Diplomacy and Research...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 4
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/1/2017 11:14:45 PM   
Taifun

This is the tempo used... I managed to arrive well equipped for Barbarrossa

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 5
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/1/2017 11:18:58 PM   
Taifun

This is the beast to kill!! At least 5 rows of fortifications protect the road to Moscow and Leningrad is as well very powerfully defended... Must have at least 2 teams of engineers working...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 6
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/1/2017 11:59:24 PM   
Taxman66

Did he build an extra ENG unit?

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 7
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/2/2017 12:54:59 AM   
crispy131313

Great! I will be watching this!

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 8
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/2/2017 7:06:11 AM   
Taifun

I guess he did build an extra ENG from the very beginning...

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 9
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/2/2017 7:10:25 PM   
Taifun

As it is critical for the German player I will explain the opening moves of operation Barbarossa with a great deal of detail. During the winter 1940 the OKW initially planed for the attack to begin in May but very interestingly in this mod the research advances are quite slow and I was missing the necessary upgrades in Infantry Weapons and in Ground Attack Weapons (I wanted level 2 for both of them). The attack was then set for the 20 June. Then unexpectedly I had a research breakthrough for Infantry Weapons and got finally both in April.
The plans were hurriedly updated for an attack next turn in May. Lacking the necessary MPPs (commitments in other fronts...) only about a third of my forces got upgraded... that left many bombers and tanks at tech level 0. Worst still the Paras could not get into position and ready for a jump and it was decided to upgrade first and then jump in the second turn. OKW decided that an early attack in May justified the lack of preparation...

The huge front was divided into 3 army groups as usual. Instructions for the three army groups generally aimed at breaking through the Soviet front and preventing an enemy withdrawal.

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 10
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/2/2017 7:19:51 PM   
Taifun

Army group North is the strongest of all 3. It consist of 27 units but in the other hand it is the least advanced technologically and has many new recruited forces. It consist of 4 INF Armies, 4 INF Corps, 3 Panzer Corps, 2 Mech Corps, 1 Panzer div, 1 Mech div, 1 Heavy Artillery, 2 HQ, 3 Fighter wings, 4 Tactical, 2 Med Bombers wings. In the first turn they have to conquest the heavily fortified city of Daugaupils and advance towards Riga and Polotsk. It has many Soviet troops to destroy in this first turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 11
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/2/2017 7:30:36 PM   
Taifun

Army group Center is the weakest of all 3. It consist of 20 units but in the other hand it contains the best troops. It consist of 3 INF Armies, 3 INF Corps, 2 Panzer Corps, 1 Mech Corps, 1 Heavy Artillery, 2 Para units, 1 Mountain div, 2 HQ, 2 Fighter wings, 2 Tactical, 1 Med Bombers wings. In the first turn they have to conquest the heavily fortified city of Przemysl and advance towards the general direction of Kiev. It has many Soviet troops to destroy in this first turn also deep into enemy territory.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 12
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/2/2017 7:32:15 PM   
Taifun

Army group South consist of 27 units from many different nationalities. It has 7 INF Armies, 5 INF Corps, 2 Panzer Corps, 3 HQ, 1 Recon, 1 Mountain div, 1 Fighter wings, 1 Tactical, 1 Med Bombers wings. In the first turn they have to conquest city of Kishinev and advance towards Dnepropetrovsk.

Thus 69 units will form the initial Barbarossa wave. More reinforcements will follow as they are available.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 13
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/2/2017 7:48:39 PM   
Taifun

Army Group North was able to take the heavily fortified city of Daugaupils and destroy the greater part of the frontier troops. Riga was not possible to be isolated... For the next turn (20 June) they are tasked to take the city of Polotsk and continue with the destruction of the remaining troops around Byalistok . They will isolate all the cities south of Minsk with the help of the paras

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 14
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/2/2017 7:58:01 PM   
Taifun

Army groups Center and South took the cities of Przemysl and Kishinev and continued their advance East. Almost all the frontier troops were destroyed though a panzerkorps from army group South helped around Lwow. For the 20 June they are tasked with the isolation of Red Army troops defending the approaches to Kiev...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 15
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/4/2017 8:04:00 PM   
Taifun

At the end of this 20 June the city of Polotsk fell to army group North after heavy air bombardment and assault. Riga has been besieged and the 5 remaining identified frontier units are now isolated from the rear areas. As the supply situation around the recently captured Polotsk is not good to continue the drive east, for the next turn Ostrov will be attacked, swinging North the main panzer forces. The heavily defended city of Minsk can not be taken right now with the forces available. It is becoming evident that the Soviets preferred a defence in depth and placed most of their armies back in the hinterland... To help improve the supply issues plaguing the army group 2 new HQ had been recalled. The Greek HQ will help in the siege of Riga and von Kluge has arrived from army group Center...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 16
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/4/2017 8:05:40 PM   
Taifun

South of the Pripyat marshes both army groups acting in conjunction managed to isolate 6 Red Army units. We expect the besieged city of Lwow to fall next turn and continue our drive east towards the Dnepr. Odessa will be sieged under Rumanian orders...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 17
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/4/2017 8:36:24 PM   
BPINisBACK

Remember Sun Tzu, my friend:
"Si haces que los adversarios no sepan el lugar y la fecha de la batalla, siempre puedes vencer"

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 18
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/4/2017 8:56:06 PM   
Taifun

What BPINisBACK means is that my AAR is only 2 turns behind the real turn... So that he is given all the info about my troops mouvements. I though that this was an interesting way to start Barbarossa for new players to see the mechanics of supply. I agree that it is very risky so I will back up a turn and so from the next AAR 3 turns will separate de "live turn" to the AAR. When positional warfare arrives at the East front I will use fog of war of course...

My friend take this extra info as using ULTRA from the ENIGMA decoded messages...

(in reply to BPINisBACK)
Post #: 19
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/4/2017 9:44:26 PM   
nnason

Yes but I believe the Allies never shared Ultra with the USSR!

Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 20
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/5/2017 3:39:28 PM   
BPINisBACK

Quick review of our party from my point of view:

Axis advance is quite quick over Leningrad (Russian didn't put much troops here), but the city is protected by a great number of troops.

The advance over Smolenks was not so quick... but, it's a fact that the Germans has turn north here, only in the last two turns he as advance over the city, which is now the first line of resistence as our troops has retreated from the line around Vitebsk and Orsha.

Kiev is still under our control. Enemy forces are at three hexes. We still hold some cities at the west of the city and north and south of the Marsh.

Dneprotevosk and Nikopol are well defended. Karkov is also garrisoned. This three cities are the very first line in the east of Ucrania. BTW, Kherson is still under control.

German subs are very active all along the Atlantic but RN is not facing them "yet"...

In Africa our heavy fortifications around Alexandria and El Cairo were useless as the enemy never try to assault them. On the other hand, the Desert Rats are advancing over Libya quite fast since July. Let's see how many italian units are protecting Tobruk.

Irak is, bit a bit, going back to British Hands.

So, the german advance in Russia is behind the one in RL. I think that's good!

As a resume of the general situation is that Axis advance when they want to advance (Russia's forces are quite weak), but Stalin trust that the end of the summer and the future reinforcements will hold the like very soon.

Western allies just build and research. As usual. Only in Africa there are a bit of action.

Let's see how manage Taifun the situacion...

BTW: I got crazy when Greece and Yugoslavia join the AXIS. This mod always surprise me!!!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BPINisBACK -- 12/5/2017 3:40:23 PM >

(in reply to nnason)
Post #: 21
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/5/2017 5:34:05 PM   
Taifun

8 July 1941. Finland has joined our crusade against bolshevism... The Fins will certainly put some pressure on the north front of Leningrad but they will not achieve much without Luftwaffe support.
The remaining frontier troops are being eliminated except the fortified city of Brest-Litovsk that will need extra forces to be reduced. Ostrov defended by light tanks and a AA unit fell during a combined arms attack. The drive north will continue towards Pskov and Riga will be assaulted. The supply situation around Polotsk remains bad and we can not continue driving east towards the Vitebsk-Mogilev line.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BPINisBACK)
Post #: 22
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/5/2017 5:36:20 PM   
Taifun

Lwow was conquered with minimal losses. Strong elements of isolated Red Army troops remain to be reduced. In the South Uman fell under troops directed by von Rundstedt and the panzerkorps in the spearhead reached the outskirts of city of Kirovograd. Then a courageous action by the recon unit of army group South succeeded in taking the city of Cherkasy that was not protected and succeeded in removing the explosive charges from the bridge over the Dnepr. Its capture is of vital importance for the continued advance.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 23
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/5/2017 7:11:22 PM   
Taifun

It looks like there was a problem with the attached file. I send again the Northern half...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 24
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/5/2017 7:12:19 PM   
Taifun

and the Southern half...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 25
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/5/2017 7:13:35 PM   
Taifun

...?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 26
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/5/2017 11:46:15 PM   
crispy131313

quote:

ORIGINAL: BPINisBACK
BTW: I got crazy when Greece and Yugoslavia join the AXIS. This mod always surprise me!!!

You have to play the diplomacy game my friend! Or the mod can punish you!

(in reply to BPINisBACK)
Post #: 27
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/6/2017 8:21:12 AM   
BPINisBACK

quote:

ORIGINAL: crispy131313

quote:

ORIGINAL: BPINisBACK

You have to play the diplomacy game my friend! Or the mod can punish you!

You are rigth, of course. I have to change my way of playing!

(in reply to crispy131313)
Post #: 28
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/6/2017 9:33:10 AM   
Taifun

22 July 1941. The Führer is very pleased with the unstoppable German attack against the Bolshevism. The strategic cities of Riga, Minks and Pskov had fallen in our hands. Pskov was surprisingly lightly defended by an armoured train. The Vitebsk-Mogilev line is reached and the troops are getting ready to storm it soon with the help of heavy artillery. The very important city of Velikiye Luki was occupied without opposition! This is a very important mistake from the part of the Stavka... the north road to Moscow lays open...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BPINisBACK)
Post #: 29
RE: FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last ma... - 12/6/2017 9:34:07 AM   
Taifun

Odessa was cut off from the rear bases and besieged. The city of Poltava was captured unopposed by the recon unit and will open the way to Kharkov and Rostov in the near future. In order to attack Kiev the city of Belaya Tserkov south of it was captured after destroying the light tank unit protecting it. This will open the south approaches to the big city and NM objective...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> After Action Reports >> FALL WEISS II. TAIFUN vs BPINisBACK. To the last man... Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI