Does AAA work?

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
r6kunz

Does AAA work?

Post by r6kunz »

Recall in TOAW III, AAA weapons in non-AAA ground units were broken. Only dedicated AAA units had an AAA effect. That was apparently fixed in the last TOAW III patch.

I suspect that issue may now be carried over to TOAW IV.

It is normally hard to tell what effect ground AAA has when there are aircraft on both sides. But in Overlord 1944 in TOAW IV, only the Allied side has aircraft, so any air losses would be from AAA. Only a couple of pure AAA units on the German side.

Results so far with PO as Allies, Air Staff Assistant ON: Turn 1= no Allied air loses; most ground attacks supported by 2-3 air groups.
Turn 2= PO made ground attacks and I supported with 3x3 air groups, approx 100 aircraft each. The only air losses were to Korps 88mm AAA battalion = 1 B-17, 2 P-38, and 1 P-47.

I advanced the AAA lethality to 400% in this example.

Recall the Allies lost, as a conservative estimate, 400 ground support aircraft the first 30 days.

Larry, our resident Air Staff officer, can you help us out here?

Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
larryfulkerson

RE: Does AAA work?

Post by larryfulkerson »

Thomas Harvey and I were playtesting his Pacific at War during the beta period and this topic came
up and we've determined that the AA units were firing into adjacent hexes as well as the hex the
unit was in. If memory serves. I'm not aware of any AA problem due to organic AA not firing.
You may have discovered something. Some tests would be nice. You've made a start. Great job
isolating the losses due to AA fire with a scenario pick. I'm not sure how to go about testing
the organic AA of units...I guess try to find the average losses when attacking LCU's and
compare that with ???

Edit: maybe we can attack units that have organic AA and units that don't and compare that.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

The best way to analyse it - turn the toawlog.txt on on; use my Tutorial '41, make some runs against the HQ that has got basic AA weaponry. However, I might have missed something; wasn't there a special log where one could see all the combat in detail? e.g the hit probabilities, furball, etc? What was it called?

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Hyding

Post by Hyding »

I know that in the Campaign for South Vietnam scenario the NVA unit shown below can often trade close to equal losing rifle squads for jet fighter bombers.

And these units have nothing but squad and APC AA factors of 1.

I see AA functioning as well as some of the more powerful TOAW versions in this scenario.

Of course that is in direct attack. In interdiction strikes the planes fare much better.

Attachments
capture20..1041600.jpg
capture20..1041600.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 113 times
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

That's in fact one of the best scenarios to see if SAM and small arms fire, as well as AAMG down some planes.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”