Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 11/29/2017 4:30:30 AM   
larryfulkerson

I thought I'd put together some sort of walkthough about Elmer and how to invoke him and all about Objectives and
laying down tracks etc. and I've chosen my favorite little scenario B41, my version 5.0 mod of it. I'm attaching
the scenario here below for those of you who want to play along with me as I show the separate steps etc. That's
why there's no picture on this post. Only one attachment at a time on this forum.

EDIT: Before I go any further I should point out that I'm not discussing here how to edit the scenario to add
objectives yet. That's another workshop for possibly some expert on the subject. The theme of my
demonstration is to show how it's possible to change your game by adding, moving, deleting, objectives
in the game while you're playing.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 11/29/2017 5:29:23 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 11/29/2017 4:37:43 AM   
larryfulkerson

Did you succeed in getting it up and running? Lemme know if you have problems okay?

So the next thing is probably turning Elmer on. This is the picture that shows the
button and what you get after you click it. All your units will show a cyan band
to signify they are "on" and the current formation's objectives will be shown on the
main map and the mini-map. I'll show you how to turn on/off the lines.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 2
RE: Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 11/29/2017 4:42:31 AM   
larryfulkerson

Use the bottom left button on the Reports tab to turn on the lines. Seeing the objectives and the tracks is sort of
a report I take it. When the lines are on you'll see how they lead from one objective to the next. You can see the
whole track for this formation by zooming out.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3
RE: Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 11/29/2017 4:46:14 AM   
larryfulkerson

So here's what you see when you zoom up one level. Obviously the formation is to go to Riga and then through the
bottleneck and end up ultimately at Leningrad and defend thereafter. This all to take approximately 40 turns.
It's possible to change an objective also.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4
RE: Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 11/29/2017 4:48:22 AM   
larryfulkerson

So zooming back down let's say I don't much concur with where the scenario designer has placed objective 3, it's too
close to objective 2 and I need to move it. I right click on objective three and I get a menu. I chose to remove it.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 5
RE: Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 11/29/2017 4:50:49 AM   
larryfulkerson

And the objective is gone and the track is broken. The system is now WAITING for you to RIGHT-CLICK on the hex you want
to put objective three in. So you find a good spot for an objective and right click, replacing three and the track is
restored.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6
RE: Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 11/29/2017 4:52:00 AM   
larryfulkerson

Just an image to show what it looks like after you restore it. Let's go to a virgin track.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 7
RE: Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 11/29/2017 4:54:42 AM   
larryfulkerson

Use your menu to change tracks. There's five of them available, switchable during play using events, and usually the
scenario designer does one maybe two but almost never more than that. So I'm pretty sure track 2 is available.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 8
RE: Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 11/29/2017 4:57:57 AM   
larryfulkerson

And much as I suspected there's no tracks, no objectives. What we have here is a current formation with the system
actually waiting for you to right click and lay down the first objective. I like to do the first one where the unit
is right now. So I can find it easier later.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 9
RE: Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 11/29/2017 5:00:38 AM   
larryfulkerson

It's hard to see but there's a "obj 1" floating over the unit once you click on the unit. I can click on the mini-map and
bet at the unit quickly now. You'll find out why that's handy later. Now the system is WAITING for you to place objective
2 by right clicking. The left click on another unit will switch to that unit of that formation and you can work on it's
objectives.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 11/29/2017 5:01:31 AM >

Post #: 10
RE: Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 11/29/2017 5:05:44 AM   
larryfulkerson

And if I right click on the next city to the NE then there appears another objective and a line to it. That's all there
is to it. Just place your objectives all the way out to the end of the scenario. OR if you'd rather you can add just
a few at a time to see what happens and add some more later on. Wait to see where they go and what happens to them.
Maybe tweak your existing objectives, move them slightly. The formation will move from one objective to the next during
their turn to move. They defend the highest objective they own and attack to get the next one. Give me a minute and
I'll add some objectives for the formation.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 11
RE: Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 11/29/2017 5:14:12 AM   
larryfulkerson

And it took about a full minute to lay this track and position all these objectives. I followed the roads and rails as
much as I could and it ends at Moscow as the final objective and the formation has the rest of the game to get there.
Give me a minute to lay down tracks for the rest of the formations and we'll move to the performance part of Elmer moving
units.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 12
RE: Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 11/29/2017 5:16:59 AM   
larryfulkerson

I'm attaching a saved game file for those of you who want to download what I've done so far to look things over or
what have you.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 13
RE: Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 11/29/2017 5:20:37 AM   
larryfulkerson

I have to go to the formation report anyway to advance to the next formation so I set the general orders and the loss
tolerance while I'm there. I'm asking for the unit to adopt an "attacking" policy and I want some performance out
of these folks since this war is going to be so short I'm asking for three-dot attacks.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 14
RE: Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 11/29/2017 5:26:43 AM   
larryfulkerson

I've laid down a second track and now if I toggle the button for all the lines I see both tracks in different colors.
The white one is the "current" one and all the others will be blue. I'll keep going laying down tracks.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 15
RE: Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 11/29/2017 6:05:26 AM   
larryfulkerson

I've done about half the formations and you can see how it can get crowded quickly. I'm following the roads and rails
with the first few formations and then fill in the gaps with the remaining formations so that almost every square km
will have some formation trapesing through it at some point in the game. I'm seeing gaps but that may be okay depending
on the terrain. If it's difficult terrain chances are Elmer won't drive through there. There's a different procedure
for aircraft.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 16
RE: Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 11/29/2017 6:08:53 AM   
larryfulkerson

For aircraft I usually start where the unit is right now and then put objectives on the airfields I want the unit to
fly to next. My understanding is that once the airfield is available the unit will fly to it.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 17
RE: Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 11/29/2017 6:14:17 AM   
larryfulkerson

I want to run the aircraft units as independent entities with no HQ unit in charge and I want ignore losses from them.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 18
RE: Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 11/29/2017 6:21:50 AM   
larryfulkerson

You can toggle through the different options for general orders until you see one you like. There's multiple choices and
if you don't want Elmer to move *this* formation then just choose manual by a right click. Then you the player will
have the responsibility to move the unit each turn.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 19
RE: Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 11/29/2017 6:28:19 AM   
larryfulkerson

If, instead of going through the formations one at a time you might want to do them all at once and you
can do that with the OOB-Formations button. You'll get a list of formations and you can toggle their
settings here as well.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 20
RE: Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 11/29/2017 6:33:38 AM   
larryfulkerson

If you're doing some debugging of the performance of your units / formations what you do is get everything set up and
then do a save game menu option to save what you've got and then you can change the general orders to something else
and then use the move me only button to move the formation. If you didn't like what happened and want to try something
else then just load your saved game and try something else. Attack, screen, independant, and so on have different goals
and will act slightly differently depending on the opposition and the terrain. Experience will tell you what works for
each given formation's situation. Their general orders could possibly change several times in one game from turn to
turn.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 21
RE: Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 11/29/2017 6:39:13 AM   
larryfulkerson

And you can make your changes permanent by editing the scenario whereby you use exactly
the same procedure to modify, add, delete, etc. objectives for the scenario itself and
not just that one game.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 22
RE: Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 11/29/2017 6:42:00 AM   
larryfulkerson

The editor is ready with a blank slate ready for you to
enter the data for your scenario. The easiest way to
build a scenario for the first time is to load an old
one and modify it. So I'm going to load up the
scenario in the editor using the menu option.
You may need to navigate the folders to your scenario.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 23
RE: Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 11/29/2017 6:48:57 AM   
larryfulkerson

Once you have your scenario loaded the next thing to do is save it with a different name or temp.sce or t.sce or some
name you can remember. If you're really confident with what you're doing you can save it with the same name but I
wouldn't recommend that. Then use the menu option "Edit->Deployment" to get to the part of the program where you can
add objectives. I guess it's under deployment because laying down tracks is usually one of the last things a scenario
designer will do along with deploying the units.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 24
RE: Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 11/29/2017 6:57:44 AM   
larryfulkerson

Once you have requested to edit the deployment the menu options change and now you can choose to switch to track 2
or actually any of the 5 tracks will do. I've already got obj's in track 1 so I thought I'd add some new obj's
to track 2.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 25
RE: Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 11/29/2017 7:04:18 AM   
larryfulkerson

And once you've gotten to the track of your choice, 2 in my case, you have to change the mode from placing units to
placing objectives and I clicked the button three times and it showed up. Now the system is WAITING for me
to do a right-click to place the first objective for the current formation. You may have to type 'O' for the OOB
and navigate to the formation you want to lay down obj's for. And just like before you can lay down tracks for
all your formations. You might want to remember to save your work frequently in case you need to undo a mess.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 26
RE: Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 11/30/2017 5:47:16 PM   
Phoenix100

Very useful. Thanks. I'm following.

Post #: 27
RE: Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 - 7/26/2020 1:40:51 PM   
Hellen_slith

Thank you, Larry,having been laid up on my back for afew weeks and unable to play until my "mouse" hand regains feeling, I've been reading through some of these older AArs and found this one just today, is very helpful and I am hopeful can try this out soon! This one should be sticked for sure!! Thanks again!

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> Workshop on Elmer-Objectives-B41 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI