Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why so big?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> Why so big? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why so big? - 11/27/2017 1:19:34 PM   
JudgeDredd

Why does TOAW IV create a 500+MB folder in my profile My Games folder?

I choose to install the game on my E drive, but there's 500MB in My Games folder which means I can't install it at work (because they will want to know why my user profile has grown by half a GB - My Documents gets backed up at work).

Alba gu' brath
Post #: 1
RE: Why so big? - 11/27/2017 1:32:06 PM   
Shadrach

This is basically to separate the game's binary files which get overwritten on every update, and (usually) located in Program Files so not writable by the user, from the user-configurable files and directories like Graphics Override, Scenarios, Saves etc.

This is a pretty standard way of doing things these days - some use the AppData folder which IMO is even more messy. Using My Games is at least on Windows pretty much standard.

However, not all like it, including myself. Some games take up a lot of space in My Documents, like Combat Mission + mods taking several gigs... Unreal games cache take a huge chunk of disk space.

So to live with it and keep stuff off my C: drive I've 'symlinked' My Games to another drive where I have plenty of space. In Windows this is actually called a 'Junction Link' and works by 'tricking' the OS into thinking the folder lives where it expects it to be while the files are actually on another drive.

It gets a bit technical, but here's one way of doing it:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753194(v=ws.10).aspx

ANother is to use the built-in Windows way to just move folders to another location.
https://support.microsoft.com/nb-no/help/253682/how-to-change-the-default-location-of-the-my-documents-folder
However, not sure how that works with your backup, or how much your admin types allow you to do... :p

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> Why so big? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI