Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Re-coloring the TOAW IV Counters

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Mods >> RE: Re-coloring the TOAW IV Counters Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Re-coloring the TOAW IV Counters - 2/27/2018 3:07:04 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

I don't see that difference, the counter graphic on the right and the small depiction on the left are the same in the scenario I use(Operation Neva).
Even if I see a difference is of no help because I need to know what color ID uses what graphic file. How else should I find the graphic file the formation is supposed to use?
In your example, which of these graphic files does the formation use?
units_1_012_0.png
units_1_yellow_4.png

The answer would be none of course. You need to read up on how to recolor the counters and the different way they are represented. The new way is more streamlined as far as coloring but the counter sheet, the one that has the different icons, is less friendly to being modded. So there's some good and there's some bad. I'm not the brightest crayon in the box but it took me about two minutes to understand how to color these things.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 31
RE: Re-coloring the TOAW IV Counters - 2/27/2018 4:29:38 PM   
BigDuke66

@Curtis Lemay
But these counter files were used in TOAWIII, the ID values do not help at all if I don't know what files originally corresponded to which color ID.

@Lobster
Again it's not about the process of recoloring, that one is clear, It's about finding out which color the designer intended to be used for a specific formation, and that can only be done if I know what graphic file was used for the formation specific color ID. If I don't know that I can't even start the process of recoloring.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 32
RE: Re-coloring the TOAW IV Counters - 2/27/2018 4:33:25 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

@Curtis Lemay
But these counter files were used in TOAWIII, the ID values do not help at all if I don't know what files originally corresponded to which color ID.

@Lobster
Again it's not about the process of recoloring, that one is clear, It's about finding out which color the designer intended to be used for a specific formation, and that can only be done if I know what graphic file was used for the formation specific color ID. If I don't know that I can't even start the process of recoloring.

Then you have to go back to the TOAW III graphics and compare the colors on each of those original files to the colors shown on the shot in post #3. Then you'll know which file corresponds to which ID.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 33
RE: Re-coloring the TOAW IV Counters - 2/27/2018 5:30:56 PM   
BigDuke66

There must be an easier way as it has to be hardcoded what color ID uses what file.
The names I posted are the same names as used in the BMP files that TOAWIII started with before PNGs were supported. All that is stored in a scenario file is the color ID, so what file is used for that color ID must stored somewhere else and I would say it's hardcoded in the EXE file because I've seen no modified graphics that use names different from the originals they replace.
Either Ralph has to help here or maybe some TOAWIII still have that information somewhere stored.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 34
RE: Re-coloring the TOAW IV Counters - 2/27/2018 8:07:07 PM   
sPzAbt653

Duke, see if this doc helps you with whatever you are trying to do. This doc isn't anything official, it is simply something I put together for my own use.

The first column is what I call them, and it corresponds to the color palette we see in the editor.

The second column is what TOAW III calls them. The third column was for the Numbers file but I never completed it as it was too much work.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 35
RE: Re-coloring the TOAW IV Counters - 2/28/2018 9:35:25 PM   
BigDuke66

@sPzAbt653
Thanks, that was a good help.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 36
RE: Re-coloring the TOAW IV Counters - 1/9/2019 12:27:41 PM   
cathar1244

Hi Bob,

Is the ability to change unit counter colors tied to a particular TOAW IV version? I've got the .11 version and went through the procedure you described -- but there is no change. A bit confusing.

Thanks and Cheers

... on edit: had the .col file in the wrong scenario folder. Has to be under graphics override, which makes sense.

< Message edited by cathar1244 -- 1/9/2019 12:42:25 PM >

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 37
RE: Re-coloring the TOAW IV Counters - 2/20/2019 10:02:41 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
quote:

The only program required to convert from hexadecimal to decimal is the Windows Calculator.

I'm not talking about the one process of conversion from Hex to Dec, a bunch of other programs are required to convert our original counter sheet colors to the new ones. [And if you ask, I will be attempting to convert the Russian Campaign scenario soon, and will post about the non-trivial process that is required].

quote:

And you are fudging the truth, big time, all over this board.

I am not fudging anything, I am being honest in the processes involved and in the restrictions that are now imposed. I am all over the board only in response to others, I have not started anything on my own. Everyone has the right to know what has happened, especially when they ask or comment about it.

I'm in favor of nipping this problem off in the bud. The solution to this problem is obvious: fix the program so that the scenario designers don't have to jump through all these hoops. Make it as easy as possible for the user. Make the computer do as much of the work as possible. Yes, a lot of the legacy scenarios are going to need adjustments but I would hazzard the guess that it would be less than perhaps 50 such scenarios and I suggest that's not too many to be a game stopper in this reguard. The idea is to boldly step into the 21st century when possible and it's innovations like this that makes TOAW even greater as time passes. The Equipment editor is another great leap forward. Don't be afraid of progress. I agree with Steve....make designing scenarios as easy as possible. I'm afraid that you might regret it if you don't. Reading through this thread I've counted the things that need to change to make it easier for scenario designers and they are several. I'm just telling you how I really feel about it. This dragging of the feet at every needed change is holding up a much greater product.

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 38
RE: Re-coloring the TOAW IV Counters - 2/21/2019 9:20:59 PM   
sPzAbt653

Well put Larry. We in the community are sadly in a battle with developers. TOAW IV was three steps forward and two steps back, and there is currently no reason to think that TOAW V will be any different.

If we are silent, we won't be heard.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 39
RE: Re-coloring the TOAW IV Counters - 2/21/2019 9:45:47 PM   
Lobster

Anything that allows more flexibility in scenario design can't be bad.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 40
RE: Re-coloring the TOAW IV Counters - 2/28/2019 12:17:22 PM   
gliz2

Because of the legacy code not much can be achieved.
Some basics though are missing which are not related to the above:
1. The counters per colours/country
2. The no animation movements (even if set to 0 it is with animations)
3. Icon for units that are digging in (I'm always confused whether a particular unit do dig in or was it moved)
4. Better panels (some good work done but some is missing)
5. 4k resolution support (now it's done by some modding)

< Message edited by gliz2 -- 2/28/2019 12:30:15 PM >

Plans are worthless, but planning is essential.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 41
RE: Re-coloring the TOAW IV Counters - 2/28/2019 2:31:54 PM   
Lobster

Why bother with 4k when 8k is just around the corner and then 16k and then 32k and then 100million k. Instead of focusing on a certain 'k' make it possible to display in any resolution or definition.

(in reply to gliz2)
Post #: 42
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Mods >> RE: Re-coloring the TOAW IV Counters Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI