Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

a little help please

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> a little help please Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
a little help please - 11/23/2017 6:13:01 PM   
MrDave

First, Happy Thanksgiving from an American newbie..

1. I toyed with TOAW3 playing a "tutorial" entitled Red vs Blue, as I seem to remember. I was playing it, of course, to try to learn the basics of deployment, loss tolerances, etc. I can't seem to find that scenario in TOAW4. Can it be imported from TOAW3?

2. Is there an explanation of deployment,loss tolerances and the implications and use in game play. I understand how to set them but the why behind it escapes me. I need to connect the dots.
Thanks for the assist.

In Him,
MrDave
TOAW OOBP PC ATG CoH
Post #: 1
RE: a little help please - 11/23/2017 6:47:24 PM   
Tamas

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrDave

First, Happy Thanksgiving from an American newbie..

1. I toyed with TOAW3 playing a "tutorial" entitled Red vs Blue, as I seem to remember. I was playing it, of course, to try to learn the basics of deployment, loss tolerances, etc. I can't seem to find that scenario in TOAW4. Can it be imported from TOAW3?

2. Is there an explanation of deployment,loss tolerances and the implications and use in game play. I understand how to set them but the why behind it escapes me. I need to connect the dots.
Thanks for the assist.

1. To be honest I don't remember why we have removed it. In the Tutorial folder (the one that opens by default when you go to start a new game, but don't forget you can open a whole lot of other folders by the Folder button, first from the left), there is a "Tutorial" scenario, which is the Korea 50-51 one. Set that up so the computer plays the UN, and use the rightmost button to open the scenario documentation to read a lot of tips and tricks on how to play. But first:

2. Have you checked out the video tutorials accessible from the game's launch menu? (near the bottom left, "Video Tutorials") Admittedly they only cover the basics, but it should get you going with the basic concepts.

And also, don't be afraid to experiment, if things might seem complex. :) It is perfectly possible to have fun and win by just military common sense, without grasping all the details behind the numbers you see.

(in reply to MrDave)
Post #: 2
RE: a little help please - 11/23/2017 10:56:42 PM   
JPJ

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tamas

quote:

1. I toyed with TOAW3 playing a "tutorial" entitled Red vs Blue, as I seem to remember. I was playing it, of course, to try to learn the basics of deployment, loss tolerances, etc. I can't seem to find that scenario in TOAW4.

1. To be honest I don't remember why we have removed it.

I guess you mean the "Anonymous Heroics" tutorial of TOAW III (Red and Grey) with documentation? TOAW IV has an "Anonymous Heroics (PBEM)" in the Hypothetical Studies folder, without documentation. It says "PBEM only" but I was able to play against the computer (I tried 2-3 rounds against Red) and in hotseat mode (against myself).

So it has been removed as a tutorial but is still there in a sense.

quote:

2. Is there an explanation of deployment,loss tolerances and the implications and use in game play. I understand how to set them but the why behind it escapes me.

The PDF manual (pages 37-38) explains what the various deployments modes and loss tolerances mean.

< Message edited by JPJ -- 11/24/2017 12:31:41 AM >

(in reply to MrDave)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> a little help please Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI