Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

National Force Estimate Resources.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> National Force Estimate Resources. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
National Force Estimate Resources. - 11/22/2017 6:37:42 PM   
tjhkkr

Back in the days when I was a wealthy man, I was able to get plenty of resources identify what a nation had: how many tanks, artillery pieces, fighters, ships, and so on.

The best one I was able to find was the yearly IISS compendium, but now that is getting very pricey.

What do you all use to know how a nation is armed.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Post #: 1
RE: National Force Estimate Resources. - 11/22/2017 8:59:09 PM   
DeSade

For aircraft best quick reference resource imho is Flightglobal's World Air Forces (currently 2017 edition). You can get it here:

https://www.flightglobal.com/asset/14484

or just google it. For more in-depth look there is excellent Scramble DB:

http://www.scramble.nl/orbats

with airfields, location data etc.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 2
RE: National Force Estimate Resources. - 11/22/2017 10:30:51 PM   
TYHo

Wow... thanks for the heads-up, really cool!

(in reply to DeSade)
Post #: 3
RE: National Force Estimate Resources. - 11/23/2017 1:23:46 AM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: TYHo
Wow... thanks for the heads-up, really cool!

I agree; thank you!

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to TYHo)
Post #: 4
RE: National Force Estimate Resources. - 11/23/2017 2:28:58 AM   
kevinkins

Knowing how a nation is armed is only part of the puzzle. Understanding their geopolitical strategy and force readiness is important as well. A country may have 50 F-16s but might not be able to (or want to) launch them into combat for various reasons. The Command DB is very cost effective and I think most players only need to rely on it and it's updates. And pay attention to current events. Perfectly plausible scenarios result.

Kevin

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 5
RE: National Force Estimate Resources. - 11/23/2017 6:07:39 AM   
apache85

I'm building up a collection of references, some of which have been bought really cheaply through Amazon.

There are some really good web references like:
gonavy.jp - USN Carrier and air deployments; USMC deployments
hullnumber.com - Great resource for individual USN ships
https://sipri.org/databases/armstransfers - Want to know exactly how many Mk82's your side should have? Look no further

However I still find that actual reference books have much more info. My favourites (in various editions) are:
Combat Fleets of the World
USNI Guide to the US Navy
USNI Guide to the Soviet Navy
Janes Fighting Ships

All of those can be had for about $50AUD each delivered from second hand dealers in the US to Australia, so really very cheaply (most of the cost is shipping). Current day stuff can be fairly easily sourced through Wikipedia, but Wikipedia will seldom tell you what a country had at a certain point in the past--which is where these books come in really handy.

I have a Janes All The World's Aircraft and was kind of let down. I was hoping it would have OOB data, but unfortunately while it has exhaustive technical specs it doesn't cover OOB. If anyone knows of an air equivalen to to Combat Fleets of the World I'd love to hear it!

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 6
RE: National Force Estimate Resources. - 11/23/2017 9:38:35 AM   
Gunner98

I agree that Jane's All the World's Aircraft is a bit lacking in detail on numbers.

I use The Encyclopedia of World Military Aircraft by David Donald and Jon Lake, which has production and sales data for most aircraft. Cross-referencing with scramble and a couple other sources you can make some pretty good estimates. Was published in 2000, and most developments after that are easy to find.
https://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Aircraft-Specifications-Performance-Warplanes/dp/0760722080

I have a few Jane's Fighting Ships, roughly one per decade from the 50's onward, since ships take several years to build you can pin things down by bracketing your scenario year and then searching individual ship detail.

Only have the 84/85 edition of Combat Fleets of the world, need more as it is quite a good comparator to Jane's

Picked most of them up at used book sales for under $30 CAD each.

The online referenced above are great as well. Another good one is: http://www.airvectors.net/ this guy does some great research.

Enjoy. B

(in reply to apache85)
Post #: 7
RE: National Force Estimate Resources. - 11/23/2017 10:40:36 AM   
thewood1

Military Balance 20XX books are still the best reference for contemporary fleets (and armies and air forces) out there, as the OP stated. I convinced my research librarian at work to buy it three years in a row. There is nothing out there to compare for modern OOBs. But as the OP stated, $400 or so is kind of expensive.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> National Force Estimate Resources. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI