Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Map fonts 'how to'

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Map fonts 'how to' Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Map fonts 'how to' - 11/20/2017 2:21:30 PM   
Boonierat1972

How would I proceed to have more useable map fonts? my idea is to make a green font similar to the blue one (#2) for terrain features.
Post #: 1
RE: Map fonts 'how to' - 11/26/2017 8:00:25 PM   
sPzAbt653

Do you have the Whatsnew from 3.4.1.9 ? Section VIII, part 9 details what you are looking for, I think. If you don't have it, I can probably attach it here.

(in reply to Boonierat1972)
Post #: 2
RE: Map fonts 'how to' - 11/26/2017 8:07:10 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boonierat1972

How would I proceed to have more useable map fonts? my idea is to make a green font similar to the blue one (#2) for terrain features.

The issue is that, while you can change the font color on your machine, you can't change it on anyone else's. (At least, I don't think so - you might try putting the "Opart4 Fonts.ini" file in your scenario specific folder).

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Boonierat1972)
Post #: 3
RE: Map fonts 'how to' - 8/23/2018 12:46:06 AM   
76mm

I have the same question: The opart 4 fonts.ini file seems to contain numerous line items (#11-25) for various map fonts, but I can't find anything in the manual about how to use any fonts on the map other than #1-#3. I don't have the WhatsNew referred to above...

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 4
RE: Map fonts 'how to' - 8/23/2018 1:11:59 AM   
Meyer1

quote:

I don't have the WhatsNew referred to above...

That's from TOAW III. I don't have it installed right now...

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 5
RE: Map fonts 'how to' - 8/23/2018 1:30:21 AM   
76mm

I figured it was from TOAWIII; I actually have it installed but don't see the file. Would have been helpful to include in the documentation for this game!

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 6
RE: Map fonts 'how to' - 8/23/2018 1:35:57 AM   
Meyer1

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

I figured it was from TOAWIII; I actually have it installed but don't see the file. Would have been helpful to include in the documentation for this game!

Should be in the game's root folder, or was in the manuals folder? I seem to remember that there was one. Check it carefully, should be there unless you deleted it, or your game is not updated to the latest patch.

< Message edited by Meyer1 -- 8/23/2018 1:36:35 AM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 7
RE: Map fonts 'how to' - 8/23/2018 2:48:47 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

I have the same question: The opart 4 fonts.ini file seems to contain numerous line items (#11-25) for various map fonts, but I can't find anything in the manual about how to use any fonts on the map other than #1-#3. I don't have the WhatsNew referred to above...

The function of each font is shown in the info panel as you mouse over each font. (Edit: on the Fonts Editor)

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 8/23/2018 3:29:40 AM >

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 8
RE: Map fonts 'how to' - 8/23/2018 2:55:08 AM   
sPzAbt653

For IV it is in the Manuals folder, but is a different document from III. Here is the TOAW III What's New [see Section VIII, Part 9]:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 9
RE: Map fonts 'how to' - 8/23/2018 3:55:55 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
For IV it is in the Manuals folder, but is a different document from III. Here is the TOAW III What's New [see Section VIII, Part 9]:

Thanks. I didn't find anything in the Manuals folder for IV, but most of the information in the doc you provided is included in the manual for IV--but it doesn't really address the specific issue.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
The function of each font is shown in the info panel as you mouse over each font. (Edit: on the Fonts Editor)

The function of each font is listed, but I don't see anywhere that tells you how to actually put the indicated fonts on a map. Page 121 of the manual only describes how to use the default map font and alternate fonts #1, #2, and #3 (ie, input #1,#2, or #3 prior to entering map text).

But the fonts file provides for many more map fonts: Lines 14-17 seem to correspond to the fonts described in the manual. But then in the fonts file there are 4 more options for small place names (Lines 16-21) and four more for huge place names (Lines 22-25). Using #21, etc., does not work, so how is it possible to add these additional map fonts to a map?

[EDIT] I just tried to change fonts on the map via the in-game font editor. I tried changing about a half dozen fonts, but did not see any changes on the map--do I need to exit and re-enter the game for font changes to take effect?

< Message edited by 76mm -- 8/23/2018 4:50:11 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: Map fonts 'how to' - 8/23/2018 5:13:36 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

The function of each font is listed, but I don't see anywhere that tells you how to actually put the indicated fonts on a map. Page 121 of the manual only describes how to use the default map font and alternate fonts #1, #2, and #3 (ie, input #1,#2, or #3 prior to entering map text).

But the fonts file provides for many more map fonts: Lines 14-17 seem to correspond to the fonts described in the manual. But then in the fonts file there are 4 more options for small place names (Lines 16-21) and four more for huge place names (Lines 22-25). Using #21, etc., does not work, so how is it possible to add these additional map fonts to a map?

There are 12 placename fonts. The first four are for when you are in large map mode. The next four (labeled "small") are for small map mode. The last four (labeled "huge") are for huge map mode.

quote:

[EDIT] I just tried to change fonts on the map via the in-game font editor. I tried changing about a half dozen fonts, but did not see any changes on the map--do I need to exit and re-enter the game for font changes to take effect?

I don't recall. Find out for yourself.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 11
RE: Map fonts 'how to' - 8/23/2018 6:55:05 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
There are 12 placename fonts. The first four are for when you are in large map mode. The next four (labeled "small") are for small map mode. The last four (labeled "huge") are for huge map mode.

OK, so the "huge", etc. in the font titles refers to map zoom level, not the font size. So if I understand things correctly then, there are basically four fonts which can be used on the map at any given zoom level (default, #1, #2, and #3)--is that correct?

Post #: 12
RE: Map fonts 'how to' - 8/23/2018 7:26:54 PM   
Cabido

Yes, you're right. That is valid for place names only. Colors, shadows, outline will update as soon as you leave the specific font adjustment window. To adjust size, you have to leave the game and execute it again.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 13
RE: Map fonts 'how to' - 8/23/2018 8:45:56 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cabido
Yes, you're right. That is valid for place names only. Colors, shadows, outline will update as soon as you leave the specific font adjustment window. To adjust size, you have to leave the game and execute it again.

Thanks much--I was changing the size but wasn't seeing any results...

(in reply to Cabido)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Map fonts 'how to' Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI