Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Arnhem, for Beginners

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Arnhem, for Beginners Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Arnhem, for Beginners - 11/19/2017 6:45:48 PM   
sPzAbt653

Small and quick scenario, modeled after a classic C64 game.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Arnhem, for Beginners - 11/19/2017 6:47:45 PM   
sPzAbt653

Full map:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 2
RE: Arnhem, for Beginners - 11/21/2017 8:51:54 PM   
rhinobones

Looks like a TOAW map . . . but what mod is being used to make the "hex side" rivers?

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 3
RE: Arnhem, for Beginners - 11/21/2017 9:04:17 PM   
Oberst_Klink

That is indeed an intriguing question...

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 4
RE: Arnhem, for Beginners - 11/21/2017 9:45:55 PM   
rhinobones

About ten years ago one of the many innovative TOAW designers (think his name might have been Pavel) redrew the escarpment graphics to look like rivers. Of course the graphic function didn’t change from escarpment to river, but the eye appeal was fantastic. TOAW with hex side rivers! Unfortunately TOAW development never followed that path.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 5
RE: Arnhem, for Beginners - 11/22/2017 3:19:49 AM   
sPzAbt653

It may have been Pavel, I am not sure, I seem to remember an East Front scenario with hexside rivers. I wanted to try it, so I used the Major Escarpment tiles and simply colored it blue. It works well enough for a simple scenario, but if players want to get picky, they easily can. If you have Mountain Units and use these type 'rivers', they can move right thru them. Roads that go thru escarpment aren't bridges, so they can't be blown. So I put little River bits in the 'bridge' hexes so that they could be blown [and made the rivers invisible so that the map didn't look stupid]. Of course, no rivers at the Highway bridges, so they can't be blown

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 6
RE: Arnhem, for Beginners - 11/22/2017 4:47:14 AM   
rhinobones

Pavel, yes, and I hope he still follows TOAW. He had knowledge of Russian/Soviet units that was more in depth than anything I could do. We e-mailed about icons and he provided me with the images I would later use to build custom Russian counters. Good person, good friend, wonderful contributor to all TOAW fans.

Before Pavel I met Yeves. He made the original TOAW editor and helped me to make the Lord of the Rings scenario. I later made some other scenarios, but they were all just knockoffs using the editorial techniques Pavel and Yeves pioneered.

Good thing now is that I see people stepping forward and designing new TOAW IV scenarios. TOAW IV has been out for about a week and already people are exploring the editors. I think this means TOAW has a long and prosperous life a head.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 7
RE: Arnhem, for Beginners - 12/11/2017 3:39:45 AM   
r6kunz

Speaking of Lord of the Rings. Very innovative; I started it several times.

I actually loaded it on TOAW IV, but at least in my hands, I was not able to get the icons converted.

Any ideas, or perhaps time to modify them?

cheers
RAK

< Message edited by HPT KUNZ -- 12/11/2017 3:41:19 AM >

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 8
RE: Arnhem, for Beginners - 12/12/2017 6:57:13 PM   
rhinobones

LotR, I’m glad to hear that there is still interest. I thought it had died years ago. Thank you.

I don’t own TOAW IV and have been out of the community for years so I’m afraid I will be of little help. The original icons were made in 2002 using the BMP format. Maybe that is the problem.

If anyone wants to take ownership and update it to TOAW IV standards, feel free to do so. As far as I’m concerned it is public domain. Same with Revisionist War.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 9
RE: Arnhem, for Beginners - 12/12/2017 7:06:40 PM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

LotR, I’m glad to hear that there is still interest. I thought it had died years ago. Thank you.

I don’t own TOAW IV and have been out of the community for years so I’m afraid I will be of little help. The original icons were made in 2002 using the BMP format. Maybe that is the problem.

If anyone wants to take ownership and update it to TOAW IV standards, feel free to do so. As far as I’m concerned it is public domain. Same with Revisionist War.

Regards, RhinoBones

Hello ole chap!

Bloody marvellous seeing you around again! Been ages! 'sup? It's like the 'boys of ye'ole brigade' is havin' a reunion! :D

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 10
RE: Arnhem, for Beginners - 12/12/2017 8:34:31 PM   
rhinobones

Herr Klink

Very nice to be welcomed. Been around, not very active, just an occasional comment. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few more old boys pop in for a visit.

Regards, RhinoBones

< Message edited by rhinobones -- 12/12/2017 8:35:23 PM >

Colin Wright:

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 11
RE: Arnhem, for Beginners - 12/12/2017 9:43:08 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

The original icons were made in 2002 using the BMP format. Maybe that is the problem.

Welcome Mr. Bones ! The above is not the problem. There is currently only one counter sheet that is used for all, so if you have custom counters that can be used that way, then it is ok. Otherwise, you have been jipped out of your custom artwork like the rest of us.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 12
RE: Arnhem, for Beginners - 12/12/2017 11:56:34 PM   
rhinobones

Herr sPzAbt653

I downloaded the Matrix Edition of LotR from Rugged Defense and all of the graphics seem to be in the download. They are BMP graphics as I said earlier and subsequently ported to TOAW III. A sample of the graphics (Silvan Elfs) shown below. As for why these graphics are not transferring to TOAW IV, you will need a smarter (TOAW under the hood) person than I to solve this riddle.

The original LotR scenario was made in 2002 using the Matrix Edition of TOAW and subsequently ported to TOAW III. I didn’t spend much energy updating the scenario since the reception to it was not overwhelming, and I moved on to other things.

I can see now that the basic scenario could be broken down into a series of individual battles. Just use a part of the map and TOEs to design individual battles. Design wars and battles pre-dating the LotR. Yes, I would like to see that. Would even support such an effort.

Best Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 13
RE: Arnhem, for Beginners - 12/13/2017 12:13:15 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

As for why these graphics are not transferring to TOAW IV,

I will show you why. Below is a shot of some of the Counter Sheets in TOAW III and all prior versions of TOAW. We had over 100 to choose from, bmp's and png's, so when you wanted to create Silvan Elfs, you could pick your color sheet and modify the icon. Those Elfs would then only show up on that specific sheet.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sPzAbt653 -- 12/13/2017 12:19:24 AM >

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 14
RE: Arnhem, for Beginners - 12/13/2017 12:18:48 AM   
sPzAbt653

However, TOAW IV gives us this one sheet. You can make a custom icon if you wish, but it will be used by all factions. One sheet, for all factions.
And if you want to design a custom color, see the thread for Recoloring Unit Counters for the ridiculous process.
Past scenarios, some that have been around for 20 years, have to be re-iconed [if it is even possible given the one sheet limitation] and re-colored. Not many have the patience for such a thing.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 15
RE: Arnhem, for Beginners - 12/13/2017 11:18:42 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

sPzAbt653

Mein Herr, sPzAbt653

Appreciate the information concerning icon graphics and TOAW IV. I can see the value of having one “master” unit icon sheet. Make change, one place, one time, covers all occurrences of the icon . . . good clean and efficient way to make a change. Applaud the team for their efforts.

I assume of course that designers can still make custom icons and have them applied to specific scenarios . . . right?

If I understand this right, if I were to make a LotR for TOAW IV I would need to use the “one” available icon template to describe all 30 unique LotR unit icons. I suppose this could be done, but it would require access to the individual icon “attributes” to edit abilities such as armor, sword lethality, cross bow range, trebuchet bombardment, Elf magic . . . all the things that make LotR different.

This can be done, but not by me. At least not in my near future. If anyone should want to take up the challenge, they have my blessing and support.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 16
RE: Arnhem, for Beginners - 12/14/2017 12:46:55 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

good clean and efficient way to make a change.

Maybe, but as an option, not as a vehicle to wipe out the past. And I say 'maybe', because you haven't designed with it yet. If you actually try to fix LotR, you may have a different opinion.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 17
RE: Arnhem, for Beginners - 12/14/2017 2:06:06 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

quote:

good clean and efficient way to make a change.

Maybe, but as an option, not as a vehicle to wipe out the past. And I say 'maybe', because you haven't designed with it yet. If you actually try to fix LotR, you may have a different opinion.

I think I've made it clear that I have no intention of re-working LotR. It is public domain, anyone with the interest can make the update.

If, and it is a big IF, should I every decide to purchase TOAW IV it will be for the purpose of building a new series of scenarios.

Best Regards, RhinoBones

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 18
RE: Arnhem, for Beginners - 12/14/2017 2:55:14 AM   
sPzAbt653

Yes, you made it clear. I was just pointing out that you based a decision on features that you have no experience with.

We miss you

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Arnhem, for Beginners Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI