Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Recommend a beginner scenario

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Recommend a beginner scenario Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Recommend a beginner scenario - 11/17/2017 11:45:52 AM   
Phoenix100

So. I bought this now and since I only play against the AI I was amazed to find people complaining about the lack of AI scenarios. Puzzled, I am. My problem is there are too many (over 150?), so can anyone recommend a good scenario to start learning with? Never played this game before. But I don't want a tutorial, I want a great scenario to play, and I'll then do the tutorials in order to play that scenario, if you see what I mean. Any recommendations? Any period, any side. Cheers.

< Message edited by Phoenix100 -- 11/17/2017 11:47:04 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Recommend a beginner scenario - 11/17/2017 11:51:18 AM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phoenix100

So. I bought this now and since I only play against the AI I was amazed to find people complaining about the lack of AI scenarios. Puzzled, I am. My problem is there are too many (over 150?), so can anyone recommend a good scenario to start learning with? Never played this game before. But I don't want a tutorial, I want a great scenario to play, and I'll then do the tutorials in order to play that scenario, if you see what I mean. Any recommendations? Cheers.

My sugestion(s)- Tannenberg, Kasserine, Korea. I also got a sandbox scenario called Tutorial '43, incl. a relative smart PO that can teach you how to use the combines arms concept - either take command of a German Inf.Div or a whole crack Soviet Tank Corps. In case you are interested, I will make it available for TOAW IV.

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 2
RE: Recommend a beginner scenario - 11/17/2017 11:57:34 AM   
Nemo84

The three tutorials are all pretty fun scenarios, and you certainly don't need to follow the tutorial instruction to enjoy them.

Personally I'd recommend the tutorial scenario named "Tutorial" as the SK/UN forces. It's basically the entire first year of the Korean War, from the initial invasion by the North to the stalemate around the 38th parallel. You start desperately trying to stop the communist onslaught, then you get to learn about naval transport and air support to reinforce the Pusan perimeter, how to conduct an offensive, offensive amphibious landings, air power in an interdiction role,... It's a pretty versatile scenario, and there's several ways it can go completely ahistorical.

You can use the tutorial guide for advice on how to do things, but still choose your own strategy and fight the war how you want it.

< Message edited by Nemo84 -- 11/17/2017 11:59:28 AM >

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 3
RE: Recommend a beginner scenario - 11/17/2017 12:39:24 PM   
JPJ

Have you tried for example Kasserine without thinking of it as a tutorial?

I would also recommend the Kaiserschlacht Mini scenario as Germans as a tutorial. You can learn about attack lines and trying to break through, and the occasional aircraft, without many movements yet in the beginning. You can easily enjoy several rounds in one turn, review the results each time, and get a good grasp of what is happening on a small scale. (Your next step might be the other, great Kaiserschlacht.) Kasserine has more movement from the beginning as both sides move across the desert.

(in reply to Nemo84)
Post #: 4
RE: Recommend a beginner scenario - 11/17/2017 2:12:27 PM   
blackcloud6

quote:

...and you certainly don't need to follow the tutorial instruction to enjoy them.

Please forgive me, but where are the tutorial instructions?

(in reply to JPJ)
Post #: 5
RE: Recommend a beginner scenario - 11/17/2017 2:19:16 PM   
JPJ

In the Select New Game window, select the Tutorials section.

It contains three scenarios: "Kasserine", "Tannenberg", and "Tutorial".

If you click on each one, the rightmost button of the row of buttons at the bottom opens a Word document with documentation about the scenario.

(in reply to blackcloud6)
Post #: 6
RE: Recommend a beginner scenario - 11/17/2017 2:22:35 PM   
JPJ

(deleted double post)

< Message edited by JPJ -- 11/17/2017 2:23:10 PM >

(in reply to blackcloud6)
Post #: 7
RE: Recommend a beginner scenario - 11/17/2017 2:38:13 PM   
Phoenix100

Thanks all. Much appreciated. I'll have look at the actual tutorial scenarios, then. I am interested in your tutorial 43 scenario for TOAW 4, Oberst Kilink, of course. Where can I get it? Is the link you've posted for the TOAW 4 version?

(in reply to JPJ)
Post #: 8
RE: Recommend a beginner scenario - 11/17/2017 2:39:40 PM   
morphin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

quote:

So. I bought this now and since I only play against the AI I was amazed to find people complaining about the lack of AI scenarios. Puzzled, I am. My problem is there are too many (over 150?), so can anyone recommend a good scenario to start learning with? Never played this game before. But I don't want a tutorial, I want a great scenario to play, and I'll then do the tutorials in order to play that scenario, if you see what I mean. Any recommendations? Cheers.

My sugestion(s)- Tannenberg, Kasserine, Korea. I also got a sandbox scenario called Tutorial '43, incl. a relative smart PO that can teach you how to use the combines arms concept - either take command of a German Inf.Div or a whole crack Soviet Tank Corps. In case you are interested, I will make it available for TOAW IV.

Klink, Oberst

Yes please, that would be great!
Thank's
Andy

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 9
RE: Recommend a beginner scenario - 11/17/2017 2:40:21 PM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

Thanks all. Much appreciated. I'll have look at the actual tutorial scenarios, then. I am interested in your tutorial 43 scenario for TOAW 4, Oberst Kilink, of course. Where can I get it?

I'll post it later on here after my visit to a local rustic restaurant, munching a Schnitzel, Pommes and Bier. Again, it's a small one for familiarisation, but it should give you and others a good overview of the various unit capabilities.

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 10
RE: Recommend a beginner scenario - 11/17/2017 2:44:18 PM   
Tamas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink
a local rustic restaurant, munching a Schnitzel, Pommes and Bier

Ok, that was just cruel

Post #: 11
RE: Recommend a beginner scenario - 11/17/2017 3:37:21 PM   
kevinc

Delurking to suggest the old Cuba 62 scenario which has been revised for version IV. It's a smaller land mass to fight on and as the US you're not controlling a ton of units. Also you get your feet wet with amphibious landings, airborne drops and naval forces but it's not too overwhelming. The Cuban forces aren't a pushover though if you're not prudent about where to concentrate your forces.

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 12
RE: Recommend a beginner scenario - 11/17/2017 3:44:31 PM   
Phoenix100

Thanks, Kevinc. Will look.

(in reply to kevinc)
Post #: 13
RE: Recommend a beginner scenario - 11/17/2017 3:57:31 PM   
Tamas

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinc

Delurking to suggest the old Cuba 62 scenario which has been revised for version IV. It's a smaller land mass to fight on and as the US you're not controlling a ton of units. Also you get your feet wet with amphibious landings, airborne drops and naval forces but it's not too overwhelming. The Cuban forces aren't a pushover though if you're not prudent about where to concentrate your forces.

Yes indeed, that scenario is one of my all time favourites.

(in reply to kevinc)
Post #: 14
RE: Recommend a beginner scenario - 11/17/2017 4:00:44 PM   
Ranger33

I was trying to get back into the game recently with TOAW III in preparation for IV and I had a good time with the Hungary-Romania 2000 scenario, playing as Hungary. You get a fairly large amount of units but not overwhelming, and plenty of options on where to send them. It's a good one for learning about direct ground combat with combined arms, and dealing with the logistics of maneuvering through mountain passes and over rivers.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 15
RE: Recommend a beginner scenario - 11/17/2017 4:58:02 PM   
Oberst_Klink

There we go. Please make sure the Tutorial '43 goes into the Graphics Override folder and the Tutorial '43.SCE into, well, the Scenario folder. Both are located at \Documents\My Games\The Operational Art of War IV

I added a RR repair & construction battalion, as well as a ferry & bridging company to the 2nd Gds Tk Corps in order for you to play/toy around with it. I also recommend this tiny sandbox scenario to get familiar with the editor and its various parameters.

Hope you enjoy! Achtung! - Do not expect a fully superior AI/PO; but get familiar with the units capabilities and how to utilize them.

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Oberst_Klink -- 11/17/2017 5:24:05 PM >

My Blog & on Twitter.

(in reply to morphin)
Post #: 16
RE: Recommend a beginner scenario - 11/17/2017 9:15:26 PM   
Phoenix100

Thanks!

Post #: 17
RE: Recommend a beginner scenario - 11/17/2017 9:30:18 PM   
jsqdcsq

Kasserine as Germany, Korea 50-51 as UN, and a stalingrad map (forget the name) as USSR.

Proletariat of the world, unite!

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Recommend a beginner scenario Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI