Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

TOAW Scenario Archive

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> TOAW Scenario Archive Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
TOAW Scenario Archive - 11/17/2017 10:32:02 AM   
IslandInland

I was just googling around for TOAW scenario download sites other than Rugged Defense and I happened upon this site. http://www.alternatewars.com/Games/TOAW/TOAW.htm

It is the work of a user here, RyanCrierie and contains hundreds of scenarios for the older versions of TOAW. I'm not sure how many would work with IV but it's an invaluable resource none the less and represents a lot of work on Ryan's part.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4166348

< Message edited by XXXCorps -- 11/17/2017 10:33:36 AM >

I saw generals create imaginary "masses of manoeuvre" with a crayon and dispose of enemy concentrations, that were on the ground and on the map, with an eraser. Who was I to criticise them, hero as I was of a hundred "Chinagraph wars" of make-believe?
Post #: 1
RE: TOAW Scenario Archive - 11/17/2017 1:39:13 PM   
Lava

Great find!

Thanks!

(in reply to IslandInland)
Post #: 2
RE: TOAW Scenario Archive - 11/17/2017 1:44:07 PM   
thewood1

That right there doubles the value of the game.

(in reply to Lava)
Post #: 3
RE: TOAW Scenario Archive - 11/17/2017 2:09:18 PM   
morganbj

But I believe it's still true that many will not work if they were designed for an older version of TOAW. The will have to be "fixed."

So, be careful and don't be surprised if you get scenario errors.

My guess is that the TOAW III are likely more appropriate to try first.

Can any devs confirm this?

Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 4
RE: TOAW Scenario Archive - 11/17/2017 2:14:05 PM   
Tamas

There are two things to note about trying one of those old scenarios:

1. Some scenarios might have a separate folder beside the ".sce" scenario file. In case of TOAWIV, this folder needs to be copied to "Documents\My Games\The Operational Art of War IV\graphics override". The scenario will find it there.

2. If you get a "you are using the wrong equipment file" error when starting one of these old scenarios (this may or may not happen), you can quickly fix it by opening it in the Editor, and saving it, overwriting your previous copy of it.

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 5
RE: TOAW Scenario Archive - 11/17/2017 2:55:50 PM   
IslandInland

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tamas

There are two things to note about trying one of those old scenarios:

1. Some scenarios might have a separate folder beside the ".sce" scenario file. In case of TOAWIV, this folder needs to be copied to "Documents\My Games\The Operational Art of War IV\graphics override". The scenario will find it there.

2. If you get a "you are using the wrong equipment file" error when starting one of these old scenarios (this may or may not happen), you can quickly fix it by opening it in the Editor, and saving it, overwriting your previous copy of it.

Thanks for the heads up.

I saw generals create imaginary "masses of manoeuvre" with a crayon and dispose of enemy concentrations, that were on the ground and on the map, with an eraser. Who was I to criticise them, hero as I was of a hundred "Chinagraph wars" of make-believe?

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 6
RE: TOAW Scenario Archive - 11/19/2017 1:45:58 AM   
RyanCrierie

quote:

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

But I believe it's still true that many will not work if they were designed for an older version of TOAW. The will have to be "fixed."

If you want 'quick and dirty' conversions, try this archive:

TOAW3 Legacy Packs Parts 1-42

This contains 415 scenarios converted by the “TOAW Legacy Project” and stored on the Game Squad File Depot in 42 separate files. I took the liberty of downloading them all, and then combining them in a single file for ease of downloading.

These are old scenarios from TOAW I/WOTY/II that were converted into the new TOAW3 engine so that you can play them again. The conversion process is totally mechanical and none of these scenarios have been modified in any way from the original. The conversion process itself is not perfect and so there will almost certainly be conversion errors. The most common ones are events being messed up, units with inappropriate icons, and, possibly map errors.

BTW; it appears that the Game Squad File Depot is now MIA. So I guess I was just in time last year in backing them up.

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 7
RE: TOAW Scenario Archive - 11/19/2017 2:13:26 AM   
IslandInland

quote:

ORIGINAL: RyanCrierie

quote:

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

If you want 'quick and dirty' conversions, try this archive:

TOAW3 Legacy Packs Parts 1-42

This contains 415 scenarios converted by the “TOAW Legacy Project” and stored on the Game Squad File Depot in 42 separate files. I took the liberty of downloading them all, and then combining them in a single file for ease of downloading.

These are old scenarios from TOAW I/WOTY/II that were converted into the new TOAW3 engine so that you can play them again. The conversion process is totally mechanical and none of these scenarios have been modified in any way from the original. The conversion process itself is not perfect and so there will almost certainly be conversion errors. The most common ones are events being messed up, units with inappropriate icons, and, possibly map errors.

BTW; it appears that the Game Squad File Depot is now MIA. So I guess I was just in time last year in backing them up.

(in reply to RyanCrierie)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> TOAW Scenario Archive Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI