Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Resolutions Supported

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Resolutions Supported Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Resolutions Supported - 11/16/2017 2:38:51 AM   
alwaysdime

So I was about to get this until I loaded up the 3rd game and remembered its not that playable in 2017. The fonts are so small on a 2560 x 1440 monitor with no ingame options to change that. In 2017 I don't want to change my desktop resolution for one game. Has this been addressed at all in the new game?

This isn't about the map size, its the menu's and text that irks me with the 3rd game. With 4k monitors becoming norm in gaming I sure hope this has been updated. The screen shots look like they are much smaller resolution

P.S. I owned all the Talonsoft games and loved them. I would love to have that experience again.
Post #: 1
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/16/2017 2:55:40 AM   
Meyer1

In the TOAW IV features thread:

quote:

• Dialogs now scale relative to font size. This allows users with huge screens to tailor the game to screen size.

• Fonts settable within the game rather than the .ini file. • Fonts settable within the game rather than the .ini file.

Now this is a very old post and a recent one by Ralph makes me wonder if that is still true:

quote:

There is no scale UI setting as such,there are two alternatives, all the fonts are windows fonts, so you can change them. I expect that someone will come out with a large font file before too long. You can also set it to play in full screen mode at a specified resolution. Setting that isn't as friendly as it could be.

So.. I would like to know as well. I guess tomorrow we will have many potential sources for this kind of information

< Message edited by Meyer1 -- 11/16/2017 2:56:20 AM >

(in reply to alwaysdime)
Post #: 2
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/16/2017 2:59:04 AM   
alwaysdime

I truly hope so. I wish they had done that in Campaign Series Middle East. I get they are old engines but they need to support modern hardware if they want to charge full price for a product in 2017. I got my fingers crossed and thanks for the info.

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 3
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/16/2017 2:06:11 PM   
cdcool

The font and menus are all adjustable within the game and the Opart3/4Font.ini file
From my experience, it was best to do it within the Opart3/4Fonts.ini file. Once you make the adjustments you like save it.
I have a 4k monitor and I made everything big enough to see without a problem.

< Message edited by cdcool -- 11/17/2017 10:24:36 AM >

(in reply to alwaysdime)
Post #: 4
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/16/2017 2:16:22 PM   
Shadrach

I went through the "Opart 4 Fonts.ini" file located in "Documents\My Games\The Operational Art of War IV" and changed all 10 and lower font sizes two sizes up.

The in-game menu works but requires a restart for every change anyway, and is kind of clunky and hard to figure out which font is which, better to just use an editor.

(in reply to cdcool)
Post #: 5
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/16/2017 2:25:22 PM   
cdcool

Opart 4 now okay. You do have to play around with the settings, but they should permanent.
Make sure there is no Opart 3? anywhere.

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 6
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/16/2017 2:31:19 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: Meyer1

In the TOAW IV features thread:

quote:

• Dialogs now scale relative to font size. This allows users with huge screens to tailor the game to screen size.

• Fonts settable within the game rather than the .ini file. • Fonts settable within the game rather than the .ini file.

Now this is a very old post and a recent one by Ralph makes me wonder if that is still true:

quote:

There is no scale UI setting as such,there are two alternatives, all the fonts are windows fonts, so you can change them. I expect that someone will come out with a large font file before too long. You can also set it to play in full screen mode at a specified resolution. Setting that isn't as friendly as it could be.

So.. I would like to know as well. I guess tomorrow we will have many potential sources for this kind of information

They're saying the same thing. Dialogs scale relative to font size, if you make the font larger, the dialog should scale with it just fine, however unit counters and other graphics like that don't scale using that method. If you want the graphics to scale too, you need to set it up for full screen and set a resolution.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 7
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/16/2017 3:55:42 PM   
Shadrach

I've not been able to find a setting in-game to change resolution, or in the launcher. In part 19.10 of the manual there are appear to be settings to do it in the ini-file.

ChangeScreenResolution=N Y=Alternate Screen Resolution
ScreenY=768 Alternate Screen Resolution Parameter
ScreenX=1024 Alternate Screen Resolution Parameter

EDIT: Just tested this with 1920x1080, works pretty good, could be a reasonable alternative for those who think stuff is too small - however running non-natively always has a bit of blur, but not too bad on 1080p at least.

< Message edited by stian -- 11/16/2017 4:15:41 PM >

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 8
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/16/2017 4:26:18 PM   
alwaysdime

I have to say it looks fantastic at 2560 x 1440. The only fonts that I need to change are for the Info Bar and the unit stats in the top right corner. I messed around editing some fonts but I didn't know what to change for these. Could someone point me in the right direction?

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 9
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/16/2017 4:29:03 PM   
Shadrach

quote:

ORIGINAL: alwaysdime
The only fonts that I need to change are for the Info Bar and the unit stats in the top right corner. I messed around editing some fonts but I didn't know what to change for these. Could someone point me in the right direction?

The same here - I think I've changed those I need to - apart from the unit info box. I have a creeping suspicion this cannot be changed...

I posted about it here too:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4377840
feel free to bump it

(in reply to alwaysdime)
Post #: 10
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/16/2017 4:56:52 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: stian

quote:

The only fonts that I need to change are for the Info Bar and the unit stats in the top right corner. I messed around editing some fonts but I didn't know what to change for these. Could someone point me in the right direction?

The same here - I think I've changed those I need to - apart from the unit info box. I have a creeping suspicion this cannot be changed...

feel free to bump it

You can change the fonts, but not the individual graphics. The problem is that upscaling the graphics often makes things look more blurry. I'll think about it. I might be able to swap out the stack of counters with a larger version as an option. Would that help?

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 11
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/16/2017 5:14:24 PM   
alwaysdime

I don't think any of us want to change the counters. I would like yo change the Info Bar at the bottom and the unit stats displayed in the top right corner. Not the counters themselves.

Post #: 12
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/16/2017 5:16:15 PM   
Shadrach

Yeah, the Unit Info box could be larger - but my main issue is the fonts. What fonts exactly are used there? I've tried to change the obvious ones called "Unit Info" but it didn't seem to have an effect so I was afraid they might be hard-coded in size.

Will the box auto-scale if the fonts are enlarged a bit?

Post #: 13
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/16/2017 5:32:17 PM   
IvanJoukov

On the opposite hand I like to play my turns on my little netbook with a really small resolution : 1366x768. At this resolution I don't have access to the whole interface, mainly the 4th line of buttons on the right panel. Is there a way to change the scale?

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 14
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/16/2017 5:33:59 PM   
elxaime

This is all a big problem. As stated above, in 2017 large monitors with higher resolution are becoming the gaming norm. You shouldn't have to require the purchaser, for a game released in late 2017, to have to hunt the forums and go into the files and make manual adjustments so that the game isn't an unreadable mess. Yes, I realize it can be done, but why shift the hassle to the purchaser?

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 15
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/16/2017 6:17:00 PM   
alwaysdime

The Info Bar is called Status Bar in the options and the unit info is Unit Info Value. You also have to restart the game before the changes take place.

(in reply to elxaime)
Post #: 16
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/16/2017 8:59:18 PM   
cdcool

quote:

ORIGINAL: elxaime

This is all a big problem. As stated above, in 2017 large monitors with higher resolution are becoming the gaming norm. You shouldn't have to require the purchaser, for a game released in late 2017, to have to hunt the forums and go into the files and make manual adjustments so that the game isn't an unreadable mess. Yes, I realize it can be done, but why shift the hassle to the purchaser?

I agree

(in reply to elxaime)
Post #: 17
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/16/2017 9:25:16 PM   
alwaysdime

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick

quote:

quote:

feel free to bump it

You can change the fonts, but not the individual graphics. The problem is that upscaling the graphics often makes things look more blurry. I'll think about it. I might be able to swap out the stack of counters with a larger version as an option. Would that help?

Since you brought up the graphics I now see that they should be larger in the unit info window. Previously I was so focused on the font size and learning the game (For the 5th time) I didn't realize that there was a stack there

Post #: 18
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/16/2017 9:57:53 PM   
Shadrach

For what it's worth, Windows 10 has really improved support for DPI scaling, especially in the latest Creators Update.

So if a developer takes a bit of care and uses standard Windows programming, most stuff will scale just fine. It can even override scaling options and "force" scaling on the application, at the cost of some blurriness.

If you have Win10, it's well worth trying the compatibility settings in the Compatibility tab for the shortcut/application. Make sure to create a shortcut to the actual executable and not the starter, so "Opart 4.exe", directly in the game folder.

What I found:
System -> TOAW4 scales pretty well, stuff gets nice and big, but a bit blurry, maybe too big for a game (I use 150% scaling)

System (Enhanced) -> This is meant to replace the scaling above, with much less blurriness (aka "permonitorv2"). However this mode causes heaps of graphical bugs in TOAW4 so it's probably not been tested properly. Too bad, because it would have been a very nice solution to the small fonts problem, without having to edit lots of font sizes.

For those interested, here's some reading on the more techy side:
https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2017/04/04/high-dpi-scaling-improvements-desktop-applications-windows-10-creators-update/
https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/desktop/mt843498
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa374191(v=vs.85).aspx
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23551112/how-can-i-set-the-dpiaware-property-in-a-windows-application-manifest-to-per-mo

I actually tried it with TOAW, using the tool ResourceHacker you can change stuff like application manifests, and added the following to the manifest:

<asmv3:windowsSettings xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">
<dpiAware>true/PM</dpiAware>
<dpiAwareness xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2016/WindowsSettings">permonitorv2,permonitor</dpiAwareness>
<gdiScaling xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2017/WindowsSettings">true</gdiScaling>
</asmv3:windowsSettings>

This worked pretty well for the System scaling, but System (Enhanced) still gets a lot of bugs so can't be used unfortunately.

And yes - I know old Grognards and wargamers don't really go for the latest and greatest so tend to run on older systems, probably WinXP still for a lot, fair enough. But MS is actually very good at making sure stuff still works on older OSes, and there's always fallback options for those that don't support scaling.

< Message edited by stian -- 11/16/2017 9:58:18 PM >

(in reply to alwaysdime)
Post #: 19
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/16/2017 10:34:20 PM   
ETF

Wow, really all that just to read the font size Yikes!! :)

My Top Matrix Games 1)CMANO PRO(WEGO/RT) 2)Waterloo 3)War In the Pacific/AE 4)End All Wars

Twitter -Tactical Wargamer
@TacticWargamer

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 20
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/16/2017 10:36:31 PM   
ralphtricky

Thanks for the references, I'll take a look at them.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 21
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/16/2017 10:38:22 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: IvanJoukov

On the opposite hand I like to play my turns on my little netbook with a really small resolution : 1366x768. At this resolution I don't have access to the whole interface, mainly the 4th line of buttons on the right panel. Is there a way to change the scale?

If you click on the top second to left icon, it will spread out and you can turn off some of the dialogs. You can then drag up the buttons. You could also drag them to the top left corner. It's a bit fiddly to grab the elements, but possible.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---

(in reply to IvanJoukov)
Post #: 22
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/16/2017 11:37:06 PM   
RJL5188

using the enhanced compatibility function after you create a desktop shortcut really works.
now i can actually SEE what im doing.
hope they come out with a patch that will change resolutions and fonts

< Message edited by rjl518 -- 11/16/2017 11:39:38 PM >

"Remember. This is a military operation. They NEVER go according to plan." ---Gen. Beck to Col. Stauffenberg (VALKYRIE)

Post #: 23
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/16/2017 11:42:22 PM   
radic202

quote:

ORIGINAL: ETF

Wow, really all that just to read the font size Yikes!! :)

This is way beyond my computer abilities, will wait for a patch or hope for one that will permit us and me to fix this issue??

It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 24
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/16/2017 11:56:01 PM   
Sniper31

quote:

I've not been able to find a setting in-game to change resolution, or in the launcher. In part 19.10 of the manual there are appear to be settings to do it in the ini-file.

ChangeScreenResolution=N Y=Alternate Screen Resolution
ScreenY=768 Alternate Screen Resolution Parameter
ScreenX=1024 Alternate Screen Resolution Parameter

EDIT: Just tested this with 1920x1080, works pretty good, could be a reasonable alternative for those who think stuff is too small - however running non-natively always has a bit of blur, but not too bad on 1080p at least.

Stian, did you have to type those lines in yourself, or were they already in your opart4.ini file? Looking at my ini file, I don't seem to have those lines in there.

"I say again, expend ALL remaining in my perimeter!" - Platoon

"This is JB27, on target...fire for effect.." - Me

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 25
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/17/2017 3:18:01 AM   
cdcool

I took the time and made a custom Opart3/4Fonts.ini, I had to figure out what font's and menus affected what, it made everything larger and readable.

I may share it shortly.

< Message edited by cdcool -- 11/17/2017 10:10:17 AM >

(in reply to alwaysdime)
Post #: 26
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/17/2017 3:30:21 AM   
BigDuke66

Would be really helpful if you post these ini files in the Mods section:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1661

If anyone else has a resolution that he thinks is "normal" and has adjusted the ini file to it, it would be nice if also posted in the mods section.

(in reply to cdcool)
Post #: 27
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/17/2017 3:56:49 AM   
zakblood

quote:

So I was about to get this until I loaded up the 3rd game and remembered its not that playable in 2017. The fonts are so small on a 2560 x 1440 monitor with no ingame options to change that. In 2017 I don't want to change my desktop resolution for one game. Has this been addressed at all in the new game?

This isn't about the map size, its the menu's and text that irks me with the 3rd game. With 4k monitors becoming norm in gaming I sure hope this has been updated. The screen shots look like they are much smaller resolution

P.S. I owned all the Talonsoft games and loved them. I would love to have that experience again.

i don't normally like to quote and repeat post, but as you posted the norm now days i'd give you some feedback from the latest steam survey, as most know it's the largest not only gaming platform but also the largest pc survey done each and every year.

this years results, as it's collected monthly are an interesting read which contradict your comments somewhat,

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

so it seems 71% of the total users on steam with a single monitor are using, yes it's printed in a screenshot and not in someones mind the correct number.

if you go to multi monitor part that is also mentioned, but when you think how many users use steam 71% of them is a very very high number

There Are Over 125 Million "Active" Steam Accounts.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 11/17/2017 3:59:42 AM >

(in reply to alwaysdime)
Post #: 28
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/17/2017 4:00:48 AM   
pochepiller

what is your problem Zakblood? Can you accept that some people have 4k monitor and are angry that they can't play that game? You try to squash every bad commentary, just ignore them if you can't accept some discontent.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 29
RE: Resolutions Supported - 11/17/2017 4:14:39 AM   
zakblood

i have no problem, it seems you do, and like i said, please take them to tech support or post a ticket in support to get full staff help on the issue you are facing, as other have got it working so if you need more help, others like myself are more than happy to try, if we can't get it working, that's what staff support is for, i have no problem either way, one i haven't got the game, two i'm not staff but spend my time here trying to help others out with issue and yes i feel for you and your discontent but if no one takes advice offered, there isn't a lot i can do either,

i either carry on helping those who ask for it, in tech support or leave this section and let the developers and mods on this section carry on trying to help anyone in tech support who asks, it's not really my place to comment here so this is my final post in the section of which i don't own the game for until admin posts a reply.

maybe a minor patch to alter the need to input for those who can't understand on how it works would help,. but again as i'm not a developer i can't say if that's possible or not either,...

sorry for your issue and discontent and hope it gets sorted soon, and have a nice day

(in reply to pochepiller)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Resolutions Supported Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI