Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Air Combat

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Piercing Fortress Europa >> Tech Support >> Air Combat Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Air Combat - 11/6/2017 5:26:47 PM   
Rasputitsa

After the first turn, 'Main Front - Italy' scenario, an Axis air disaster, almost wipe-out. I had put all Axis air units on air superiority, which was probably a mistake, as the smart move might be to stay on the ground with no missions selected and save the air response for later.

But :

This is a very tough result, Axis losses of (9), with only (1) air strength point remaining, for NO loss to the Allies !

If this is a true result and not clouded by FOW, then there is a balance issue here.

Next turn, with no air missions selected for the remaining (1) Axis air point, it was still destroyed, again with no loss to the Allies.

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Post #: 1
RE: Air Combat - 11/6/2017 5:39:45 PM   
Zecke

Estass de BARRO hasta las rodillas¡

I THINK you are doingg some mistakes; too many inconvenets; maybe if e-mail i can help you. youuu..woman¡

< Message edited by Zecke -- 11/6/2017 5:50:52 PM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 2
RE: Air Combat - 11/7/2017 9:09:53 AM   
Rasputitsa

I have re-set the scenario balance to 'Neutral' and getting a more realistic set of air combat results for the Axis, but still the AI Allies are showing no losses, which is not realistic unless FOW is operating. If that is the case, then there is no point in having an 'Enemy Losses' read-out in the 'Airforce Orders' panel.

I had initially set the balance to favour the AI Allies to get a more challenging game, also choosing the 'Main Front' scenario to give the AI more to work with, but this now seems to be overkill.

With neutral balance the Axis air forces are devastated, but still in action after 4 turns, even managed a port attack, but the Allies still show no losses.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 11/7/2017 9:16:10 AM >

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

(in reply to Zecke)
Post #: 3
RE: Air Combat - 11/14/2017 7:26:58 AM   
Rasputitsa

I have tried several combinations of 'Airforce Orders', as Axis and Allies, but 'Enemy Losses' never registers, always staying at (0). All the other parameters in Air panel seem to respond and give results, but 'Enemy Losses' seems broken.

It doesn't change anything, as the Allies will always have overwhelming air superiority, just noting a feature that doesn't seem to be working.

There is also a balance issue when the Axis lose up to 90% of their airpower in one turn, as by 1943 air forces were well practiced in ground camouflage and dispersing aircraft.

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 11/14/2017 9:56:26 AM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 4
RE: Air Combat - 7/20/2018 3:18:32 PM   
KarlXII

Does the air combat even work at all ? I have no clue since I cannot see any reports about successful interdiction missions or ground support inflicted.

Värjan måste göra det bästa, ty den skämtar intet

Been playing strategy games since 1987 and the Commodore 64 days

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 5
RE: Air Combat - 7/29/2018 10:08:35 AM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: KarlXII

Does the air combat even work at all ? I have no clue since I cannot see any reports about successful interdiction missions or ground support inflicted.

The air combat report shows losses, so some combat is taking place, in the case of the Axis side mostly in getting wiped out.

So far, it seems that the Axis don't get much air superiority effect as it is overwhelmed early (I think too easily), so there doesn't seem to be much 'air to air' activity, but it does figure in interdiction and ground support, especially for the Allies.

Air units set to 'interdiction' will improve your chances of seeing enemy units in the rear areas, which would otherwise be invisible in FOW.

Interdiction will slow down the movement of enemy units, most of which you may not see, so you will not know how effective this has been, but this is how it was, not knowing what is happening on the 'other side of the hill'.

If you don't have air superiority, potential beach landing hexes won't light up to allow you to make landings. How much air you have to allocate to air superiority missions to allow landings, is by trial and error, or as the Allies actually did, you just throw in everything.

Allied air power will not reach beyond Rome, until you capture FOGGIA and the airfields in that area.

With each ground unit you can set air priority, but best I think not to spread it too thin, but to work for a significant effect where it counts. All ground units start the game set at air priority (1), I reduce this to (0) immediately, then start allocating air priority to units that are really going to need it. Remembering to reduce it back when no longer needed by any particular unit, this means running through the units' air priorities each turn.

Planning an attack is easy, you know there is going to be a combat where you can use your air ground support, unless the enemy withdraws before the attack, but anticipating air support in defence is much more difficult, where will the enemy attack ? You find yourself allocating ground support in anticipation of an attack, but it may be wasted if the enemy does not make the move, or attacks elsewhere.

There is probably more, but air power is having an effect in the game.

The Battle Reports will show how much 'Ground Support' was given in any combat, including what the opponent got for the opposing unit.

As with so much in Frank Hunter games, it may seem so simple, but there is so much that is going on with the few inputs you are required to make.

If it is on the screen it is important, there is a lot of background, but no surface gloss.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 7/29/2018 12:31:14 PM >

(in reply to KarlXII)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Piercing Fortress Europa >> Tech Support >> Air Combat Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI