Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[WAD + ADJUSTED B978] AA-9 Amos SARH still tracking after launch aircraft is destroyed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [WAD + ADJUSTED B978] AA-9 Amos SARH still tracking after launch aircraft is destroyed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[WAD + ADJUSTED B978] AA-9 Amos SARH still tracking aft... - 11/3/2017 12:20:46 AM   
Amnectrus

In North Pacific Shootout, the AA-9 Amos [R-33, SARH] #735 missiles launched by the MiG-31s seem to track my F-14s even after the MiG-31s have been destroyed. I have a save where the MiGs were destroyed by Phoenix missiles and the AA-9s should have immediately gone "blind", but instead they still seem to track my F-14s. In this case they happen to miss, but I've had several planes destroyed by these 'zombie' missiles in this scenario before. I thought maybe the AA-9 has a special datalink that allows CEC, but none is listed in the DB, and in this case the only radar that my F-14s are in range of is a surface search radar on a Badger.

I reproduced the problem in a minimal test scenario, but I can't seem to attach a file in either Firefox or IE... I get an error in the file upload dialog that says "c:\fakepath\AA-9 test.save is not supported". The test scenario is just an F-14A (1986) head on with a MiG-31 (1982). At about 55 miles, direct the F-14 to launch AIM-54As, and a few seconds later, launch the MiG's AA-9s. The MiG should get destroyed first (if the Phoenixes miss, you can manually delete the MiG and the problem will still happen). The AA-9s will then continue to guide even though there are no other units on that side.

Please let me know if you need any more info, or if you have any idea what I'm doing wrong in trying to attach the files. Thanks!

< Message edited by emsoy -- 11/5/2017 2:23:04 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: AA-9 Amos SARH still tracking after launch aircraft... - 11/3/2017 1:01:40 AM   
thewood1

You have to zip the file.

(in reply to Amnectrus)
Post #: 2
RE: AA-9 Amos SARH still tracking after launch aircraft... - 11/3/2017 5:18:41 AM   
Amnectrus

Ahhh... I knew it had to be something simple I was doing wrong. Thanks! Here are the two save files.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 3
RE: AA-9 Amos SARH still tracking after launch aircraft... - 11/3/2017 8:19:28 PM   
ComDev

Dug into this.

What you're seeing is the AA-9 'autopilot' at work. The missile is inertial with terminal illumination (plus mid-course update as well), and the weapon will appear to 'home' in on the target until it requests illumination in the last 3-10 seconds of the flight.

The AA-9 misses with a "cannot have its target illuminated..." message.

The reason for this is simple, the AA-9 doesn't know the parent platform is dead, and continues flying to the calculated kill box, hoping for illumination to happen until the very end. Once there, and no illumination is detected, the weapon will got blind and self-destruct after a few seconds.

< Message edited by emsoy -- 11/3/2017 8:23:34 PM >

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

(in reply to Amnectrus)
Post #: 4
RE: AA-9 Amos SARH still tracking after launch aircraft... - 11/4/2017 5:16:58 PM   
Amnectrus

Hm. I'm still puzzled by the behavior of the missile. You can launch an AA-9 and immediately delete the launching airplane, leaving it with no way to get mid-course updates, and it will still home in on a maneuvering target, even though it seems you're right about it not actually hitting the target due to no terminal illumination. If it were inertially guided, it should not make any course changes after it loses its launch platform. Other SARH missiles don't do the same thing; when they lose their launch platform they go blind and self destruct after 5 seconds. The AA-9 continuing not just to run straight toward where it was launched (as would be the case with pure inertial guidance) but to actually guide all the way to the target causes the target to take evasive action when none is needed.

That said, are there other SARH missiles that have this ability? It would sure be handy if SARH missiles wouldn't self-destruct on losing guidance, because it would mean the launching airplane could take evasive action, pointing the radar away from the enemy, and then if the missile is still in flight, point back toward the enemy, reacquire lock, and continue guiding the missile in. I don't see anything in the in-game DB viewer that indicates this ability for the AA-9 vs other SARH missiles.

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 5
RE: AA-9 Amos SARH still tracking after launch aircraft... - 11/5/2017 2:22:44 PM   
ComDev

Fair enough, fixed B978. Thanks

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

(in reply to Amnectrus)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [WAD + ADJUSTED B978] AA-9 Amos SARH still tracking after launch aircraft is destroyed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI