Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

God of War: Why such loss of air asset?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> God of War: Why such loss of air asset? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 3:44:00 AM   
spinecruncher

Wow, the PRC air force is taking a beating against the Vietnamese. I know this scenario is more advanced that others, but I was able to get a major in the previous scenario. what I did with the one before, was just to create one large land attack mission and I clicked in all the objective targets. It did not work so well when I created several small regional land attack missions. So here again, in this scenario I have created a few missions to cover the major regions I want to pound on. There is a mission around Hanoy, Danang, and a few others. There are support missions and patrol missions, for the attack missions, it is basically a free for all for whatever air units are allocated, they decide which target to go for that were selected already in the mission. I wonder if further specialization is required. This is scenario results compared against N Korea reflect a much stronger enemy in terms of advanced air defense? Will i need to preemptively destroy the SAM units and other air defenses? I do not know, I feel like the PRC should be making a better showing.
Post #: 1
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 5:05:54 AM   
Hongjian

Hmm, I actually felt really bad for the Vietnamese in this scenario since they were such a pushover for me. Not just because my J-20s and those PL-15 equipped Flankers/J-10B/Cs were chewing them up pretty hard, but also because even my J-8IIFs with PL-12s could totally devastate even their Flankers in BVR (because they only had sem-act R-27s).

But yeah, the land-attack phase was a bit difficult, but mainly due to the woesome selection of air-to-ground munitions that were either short ranged (LGBs) or could be easily intercepted by even the limited S-300 SAMs that the VPA operates. The best bet was to sacrifice a few of my J-20's AAMs for LS-6 JDAMs and ordering them to eliminate the strategic SAM and radars after the sky is cleared by my long range PL-15s (for that, my fighters do not even need to enter Vietnamese airspace - just bait their fighters into range and shoot them down).

All in all, this scenario actually shows the disparity in power in terms of air-to-air capabilities.

(in reply to spinecruncher)
Post #: 2
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 11:44:19 AM   
ultradave

I haven't played that scenario, however, as a general comment, have you gone through the air strike tutorials? I think the last one, "Peeling the Onion" will give you a good idea of the way to go about attacking a defended objective. It's quick and small in scope but guides you through the sequences.

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to Hongjian)
Post #: 3
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 2:00:19 PM   
Dysta

There's a Chinese blogger whom played this campagin's scenario before. Citing his sore response of possibility of Sino-Viet war because the first game is SK decap-strike. Not sure if it's surprising, because neither Chinese gamers nor state government took this DLC seriously. (except a majority of hotheaded readers whom went ballistic to this game)

Of course, during the scenario it did not include a proper land-based warfare as to persume the loss of sea and air control equal the loss of war in modern time, which is not entirely true.

He lost one sub, two jets and one MPA during the combat, but 88 is an excellent score.

https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/27361648 (Simplified Chinese, After-action Report)

< Message edited by Dysta -- 10/15/2017 2:12:45 PM >

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 4
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 2:20:04 PM   
Tailhook

I think ballyhoo may be diving headlong into scenarios while still having much to learn about the game (his experience with Blue Dawn, in the AAR section, is telling). So to you, ballyhoo, I suggest putting the campaign on hold (it gets very complex and difficult very quickly) and instead turn to the community pack for less complex scenarios to get a better handle on individual basic components and assets. The first two missions in Chains of War require complexity but shouldn't overwhelm an experienced CMANO player.

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 5
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 2:21:47 PM   
mikmykWS

Hi Guys

Honestly this is the first time I've seen anything on this one being too hard etc.

Here's some links to some great videos done on it. Perhaps it'll help.

Stoic Frog's take on God of War. Check out the entire God of War and Chains of War series.
Kushan's take on God of War Same. Excellent coverage of the series.

If I forgot anybody elses gameplay vids please do post.

Mike

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 6
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 2:25:18 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dysta

There's a Chinese blogger whom played this campagin's scenario before. Citing his sore response of possibility of Sino-Viet war because the first game is SK decap-strike. Not sure if it's surprising, because neither Chinese gamers nor state government took this DLC seriously. (except a majority of hotheaded readers whom went ballistic to this game)

Of course, during the scenario it did not include a proper land-based warfare as to persume the loss of sea and air control equal the loss of war in modern time, which is not entirely true.

He lost one sub, two jets and one MPA during the combat, but 88 is an excellent score.

https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/27361648 (Simplified Chinese, After-action Report)

Wow. If you could send me the official government statement on this I'd love to see it. I'll make a place on my wall for it next to my rejection letters to 4chan.

and welcome to my blocklist Dysta!

Mike

< Message edited by mikmyk -- 10/15/2017 2:27:57 PM >

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 7
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 3:37:40 PM   
Dysta

Wow, the blocklist is real. I've tried to explain my true statement and you denied it. So I post it here.

Well, sorry, I have no connection to anyone or anything, so I cannot give any 'evidence' of state grievance to your game for your wish. Nor I have any clue what is going on for you making such decision to me.

My hands are shaking on keyboard, you know?

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 8
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 4:52:06 PM   
Raptorx7_slith

Everyone on this forum seriously needs to lighten up.

We're all at each-others throats and I have no idea why.

< Message edited by raptorx7 -- 10/15/2017 4:53:26 PM >

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 9
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 4:56:51 PM   
thewood1

"I think ballyhoo may be diving headlong into scenarios while still having much to learn about the game (his experience with Blue Dawn, in the AAR section, is telling). So to you, ballyhoo, I suggest putting the campaign on hold (it gets very complex and difficult very quickly) and instead turn to the community pack for less complex scenarios to get a better handle on individual basic components and assets. The first two missions in Chains of War require complexity but shouldn't overwhelm an experienced CMANO player."

The OP has been counseled multiple times to master simpler scenarios before jumping into campaigns and getting overwhelmed.

(in reply to Raptorx7_slith)
Post #: 10
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 6:06:34 PM   
ultradave

And for ballyhoo, go download and keep this little tool handy. It will help in picking out some reasonable scenarios to hone skills on. Lots of ways to sort and filter here that are very useful.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4252693

From the original posting:

"for the attack missions, it is basically a free for all for whatever air units are allocated, they decide which target to go for that were selected already in the mission. I wonder if further specialization is required. "

The answer to this is yes. For example, if you target an airfield as a whole, you won't guarantee what gets attacked. If you want to crater the runway you have to target the runway(s). If you want to target the fuel depot/tanks, you have to target them. And by doing so you have the opportunity to pair the most appropriate weapons to their targets.

< Message edited by ultradave -- 10/15/2017 6:15:52 PM >

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 11
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 6:13:24 PM   
Excroat3

quote:

ORIGINAL: raptorx7

Quoted for truth. This is the only forum I'm legit sometimes afraid to ask for help on, because I feel as if I'm going to be berated for not checking something I didn't even know existed.

Post #: 12
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 6:17:39 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Excroat3

quote:

Quoted for truth. This is the only forum I'm legit sometimes afraid to ask for help on, because I feel as if I'm going to be berated for not checking something I didn't even know existed.

Give me a break.

Mike

(in reply to Excroat3)
Post #: 13
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 6:47:33 PM   
thewood1

I'll berate you for missing the point. The OP has created multiple threads asking the exact same questions and getting the same answers and advice. He doesn't follow the advice and comes back asking the same questions and can't figure out why the game is so hard. People have bent over backwards to help this guy and he doesn't do what is suggested. Go count how many times he had explained to him how to use the function keys on his computer, multiple different ways.

No one gets berated for asking a question. They get an answer or are pointed to where they can find it. Please show me a quote for someone asking a question and getting berated for asking that question the first time.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 14
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 6:52:59 PM   
Excroat3

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

I'll berate you for missing the point. The OP has created multiple threads asking the exact same questions and getting the same answers and advice. He doesn't follow the advice and comes back asking the same questions and can't figure out why the game is so hard. People have bent over backwards to help this guy and he doesn't do what is suggested. Go count how many times he had explained to him how to use the function keys on his computer, multiple different ways.

No one gets berated for asking a question. They get an answer or are pointed to where they can find it. Please show me a quote for someone asking a question and getting berated for asking that question the first time.

I am not trying to defend him, I actually am in agreement with you, he should be starting small and working his way up, not jumping into a complex scenario and crying wolf. All I did was post my agreement with raptor, that everyone here either needs to walk on eggshells or not post at all. There's a lot of tension in the forum, and I just wanted to bring that to light.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 15
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 6:56:03 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

I responded privately to you but if I wanted to go out and see what every troll site wants to say about my work etc. I'd be there. I stick to very few places for a good reason in that what most of the internet says isn't all that constructive.So zippy on 5chan thinks my storyline is bogus and the Chinese gov't didn't comment on i? Why is that noteworthy, truthful, important etc. other than to try and drag somebody down?

Same with the bug collectors who can't let their pet peeves go or passively aggressively ask why something doesn't work like they think it should.

Same with these whining db guys claiming we're biased/bigots etc.

It sucks the soul right out of your face when you read it.

Mike

< Message edited by mikmyk -- 10/15/2017 6:57:03 PM >

Post #: 16
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 7:01:29 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Excroat3

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

I am not trying to defend him, I actually am in agreement with you, he should be starting small and working his way up, not jumping into a complex scenario and crying wolf. All I did was post my agreement with raptor, that everyone here either needs to walk on eggshells or not post at all. There's a lot of tension in the forum, and I just wanted to bring that to light.

Jury isn't in yet but I'm starting to get a little suspicious the OP is taking all of us for a bit of a ride.

Mike

(in reply to Excroat3)
Post #: 17
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 7:10:01 PM   
spinecruncher

What I was trying to get out was if anyone wanted to share some general strategic considerations? For example, do you set-up missions dedicated to SAMS and AA installations? If so, how much resources to you dedicate and do you start these ops prior to general land-strike operations? How to you break up the large scale land-strike targets across a country like Vietnam? When I posted on the Blue Dawn scenario, that I lost, I changed some things up and then got a Major V rather easily. when I has many smaller land-strike missions broken up by region, I fared poorly. So I experimented and did one large swath land strike campaign. I just defined a large area across the entire enemy territory and in the land-strike mission I dragged and selected all the objective enemy targets and deselected non-target structures. Ouila, by doing this I got a major victory where prior I got a loss. What the difference is, IE, why this made a difference I cannot explain. Can anyone else? I am wondering how to apply this concept to the God a War scenario. I think the Vietnamese are much harder to beat then the N Koreans. So I was just asking for some general considerations on how to set-up the various missions? I have developed the habit that nothing I do happens outside the context of a mission. I wonder if this is a bad thing as I end up with several missions and some of them may overlap. I do not just launch or throttle up a unit and plot its course outside of a mission setting.

BYW, peeling the onion is not a tutorial.

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 18
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 7:18:36 PM   
mikmykWS

Actually, this scenario might be a good lab to try stuff because the AI is very responsive instead of active. There's no real VN offensive sweeps etc that go on so you can try a bunch of strategies to see how they work and have lots of room to set up over China prior to pushing in.

In this case, Vietnam's best assets are their newer SAMS and fighters (Flankers) so starting a few ops against them will help you carry out strikes elsewhere as they'll minimize the overall threat. You also have a fair bit of time so you don't really have to wipe everything at once but can take things down piecemeal. Please look at your OOB as well. You have a few aces in the whole including cruise and ballistic missiles to help you.

Let us know how it goes and please do watch a video or two to get some ideas etc.

Mike

Post #: 19
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 7:48:59 PM   
ultradave

quote:

BYW, peeling the onion is not a tutorial.

Uh, not sure what to say to this except... play it.

[edit] sorry for the monster image. I keep forgetting my Mac's retina display screenshots don't play nice with the forum.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ultradave -- 10/15/2017 7:50:35 PM >

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 20
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 7:57:43 PM   
mikkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: ballyhoo
... BYW, peeling the onion is not a tutorial.

ballyhoo, I suppose that ultradave thought fifth tutorial scenario from Gunner98's Strike Tutorials campaign and not "Peeling the Onion, 1957" from the Community Scenario Pack, which is really not a tutorial.

Post #: 21
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 8:15:47 PM   
ultradave

Yeah, I don't even have that one in my community scenarios. Haven't downloaded an update in a little bit since I've been having fun with Northern Inferno.

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 22
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 9:25:35 PM   
thewood1

"Jury isn't in yet but I'm starting to get a little suspicious the OP is taking all of us for a bit of a ride."

Again, I pointed this out in the first two threads the OP started a month or two ago and and was taken to task for it.

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 23
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 9:34:07 PM   
mikmykWS

Yes. Aware of that and all I can say is our patience for different posting styles is different. Must be a north shore/south shore thing. The OP gets my benefit of the doubt for now.

I am though starting to wonder if some of the toads are creating bogus accounts again. I don't think this one is one of them.

Mike

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 24
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 9:58:06 PM   
thewood1

I hate the south shore. You guys never pay tolls.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 25
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 10:13:37 PM   
spinecruncher

So am I right or wrong about peeling da onion? Bc I do not see any tutorial text. Also, any comments on hat I was asking about SAM /AA strikes? Do I want a pre-land-strike campaign that focuses on AA/SAMS -- to soften up the defenses prior to the major offensive? Isn't this typical of modern fighting? I remember in '92 operation Desert Storm there was an intensive campaign for a day or so, maybe longer, that only focused on weakening the enemies defenses. Now if a scenario only lasts a day or so, I guess this changes things.

And also just curios: why would anyone go to the lengths of learning a game to post without authenticity?

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 26
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 10:18:30 PM   
ultradave

There's a Community Scenario Peeling the Onion, and there is Strike Tutorial #5 Peeling the Onion. I'm not sure what more you are looking for as I posted the scenario briefing. It's there.

----------------
Dave A.

Post #: 27
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 11:01:32 PM   
spinecruncher

It is just that I do not see the tutorial of that title in my tutorial folder is all. I hope that does not make me a toad.

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 28
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 11:03:34 PM   
spinecruncher

"In this case, Vietnam's best assets are their newer SAMS and fighters (Flankers) so starting a few ops against them will help you carry out strikes elsewhere as they'll minimize the overall threat. You also have a fair bit of time so you don't really have to wipe everything at once but can take things down piecemeal. Please look at your OOB as well. You have a few aces in the whole including cruise and ballistic missiles to help you. "

Ok thank you!

Post #: 29
RE: God of War: Why such loss of air asset? - 10/15/2017 11:30:36 PM   
ultradave

quote:

ORIGINAL: ballyhoo

It is just that I do not see the tutorial of that title in my tutorial folder is all. I hope that does not make me a toad.

We had this discussion before. They are here, and I recommended them as good tutorials to do before taking on the game's air tutorial, which is a handful:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4299665

You should download and add to your tutorial folder.

----------------
Dave A.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> God of War: Why such loss of air asset? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI