Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SOT: The Notorious Board Game That Takes 1,500 Hours To Complete

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> SOT: The Notorious Board Game That Takes 1,500 Hours To Complete Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SOT: The Notorious Board Game That Takes 1,500 Hours To... - 9/24/2017 5:36:11 PM   
witpqs

Bunch of amateurs.

The Notorious Board Game That Takes 1,500 Hours To Complete
https://kotaku.com/the-notorious-board-game-that-takes-1500-hours-to-compl-1818510912

Post #: 1
RE: SOT: The Notorious Board Game That Takes 1,500 Hour... - 9/24/2017 5:38:52 PM   
Yaab

...only to be destroyed by a long-range Catwagen, jumping from the Atlas Mountains...

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2
RE: SOT: The Notorious Board Game That Takes 1,500 Hour... - 9/24/2017 6:31:21 PM   
Zorch

It would have been much better with a computer to track the logistics.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 3
RE: SOT: The Notorious Board Game That Takes 1,500 Hour... - 9/24/2017 7:23:14 PM   
GetAssista

I do not understand the desire of some wargamers to make mundane calculations and track things manually. Looks like a tougher form of OCD in my book. There are computers out there now, and there were entire batallions of intendants/accountants during WWII doing all the tedious work, so that your brain can concentrate more on strategic things.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 4
RE: SOT: The Notorious Board Game That Takes 1,500 Hour... - 9/25/2017 12:07:12 AM   
Itdepends

The interaction level of using physical game pieces is better than a computer. Rolling the dice at a critical point in the game gives the illusion that you can influence the result and more connection with the outcome.

E.g Remember that time when your sub torpedoed Kaga in Jan 42 and you rolled 18 (not a dud) and then 20 (critical ammunition explosion). Unbelievable man.

Where as in game we would rage against the rng and get pissy if our opponent crowed about the hit (if it was face to face and the rolled it, there would be crowing......)

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 5
RE: SOT: The Notorious Board Game That Takes 1,500 Hour... - 9/25/2017 12:58:09 AM   
Kitakami

I never played Campaign for North Africa, although a friend owned it, and we played other games. I do own Atlantic Wall, though (it is on my dining room's table at this very moment). It is true, there is something special about rolling good (or bad) dice at a critical moment, and reading 100 pages or more of rules is something many wargamers are used to.

Different experience to AE, definitely, but not bad at all. Where AE excels, though, is when you have one or more cats in your house. No stack of cardboard pieces has ever been safe from cats.

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 6
RE: SOT: The Notorious Board Game That Takes 1,500 Hour... - 9/25/2017 1:31:36 AM   
geofflambert

My brother had this game on his wall, and all the pieces were mounted on magnets and there was sheet metal behind the board. It was insane.

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 7
RE: SOT: The Notorious Board Game That Takes 1,500 Hour... - 9/25/2017 3:13:06 AM   
Kitakami

That is a feat in itself, yes, and probably the only way you can play one of the big monsters.
Also... the clipping of the corners of the counters... it takes ages with that number of pieces!

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 8
RE: SOT: The Notorious Board Game That Takes 1,500 Hour... - 9/25/2017 6:53:39 AM   
JeffroK

I want to see this game done properly on PC, no TOAWIV version.

All of the detail we see in WITPAE at Battalion/Company level and a proper LCU movement/combat system.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 9
RE: SOT: The Notorious Board Game That Takes 1,500 Hour... - 9/25/2017 7:01:35 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

I do not understand the desire of some wargamers to make mundane calculations and track things manually. Looks like a tougher form of OCD in my book. There are computers out there now, and there were entire batallions of intendants/accountants during WWII doing all the tedious work, so that your brain can concentrate more on strategic things.

Some of us are from the pre-computer era as is this game. Yes there was such a thing. Not quite so far back as the stone age but close.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 10
RE: SOT: The Notorious Board Game That Takes 1,500 Hour... - 9/25/2017 10:39:53 AM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris H
quote:

Some of us are from the pre-computer era as is this game. Yes there was such a thing. Not quite so far back as the stone age but close.

Oi, I'm not that young :) I did boardgames, and complex ones too. I enjoy D&D with a company of friends and pencil/paper. I agree that rolling the physical dice is a nice experience. Dice blends OK into the games that involve little numbers like said D&D. But with large strategic games it becomes impossible to keep it simple and just roll the dice. The moment complex tables enter the game the appeal is lost for me. You start spending your time crunching numbers instead of gaming.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 11
RE: SOT: The Notorious Board Game That Takes 1,500 Hour... - 9/25/2017 1:32:58 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris H
quote:

Oi, I'm not that young :) I did boardgames, and complex ones too. I enjoy D&D with a company of friends and pencil/paper. I agree that rolling the physical dice is a nice experience. Dice blends OK into the games that involve little numbers like said D&D. But with large strategic games it becomes impossible to keep it simple and just roll the dice. The moment complex tables enter the game the appeal is lost for me. You start spending your time crunching numbers instead of gaming.

I believe the reason they wouldn't just use a computer now is because the game predates the common computer... they'd have to make spreadsheets or something. It would honestly be a fascinating little code project to make something simple for resolving what happens throughout the game (while still using human digits to move the pieces).

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 12
RE: SOT: The Notorious Board Game That Takes 1,500 Hour... - 9/25/2017 1:48:23 PM   
MakeeLearn

"I blow my nose at you, so-called "dice rollers," you and all your silly number crunching. Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!"

Attachment (1)

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 13
RE: SOT: The Notorious Board Game That Takes 1,500 Hour... - 9/25/2017 1:53:34 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

My brother had this game on his wall, and all the pieces were mounted on magnets and there was sheet metal behind the board. It was insane.

Did that with Drang Nach Osten and later with Terrible Swift Sword...

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 14
RE: SOT: The Notorious Board Game That Takes 1,500 Hour... - 9/25/2017 2:02:14 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
It would honestly be a fascinating little code project to make something simple for resolving what happens throughout the game (while still using human digits to move the pieces).

i hada very pleasant experience with that kind of solution. There is a series of railroad tablegames under 18XX lable that involves profiteering and stock market play (so dreaded numbers) in addition to railroad building and operation. My friend codified the best of the bunch, "1870" issue, into a web app that did all the calculations. Splitscreen playing while in the same room was the best.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 15
RE: SOT: The Notorious Board Game That Takes 1,500 Hour... - 9/25/2017 3:32:54 PM   
ny59giants_MatrixForum

Pick a mega-board war game of the late 70s and I probably had it. I had "Luftwaffe" as my first WW2 board game. Next Christmas, my parents gave me a large pair of bamboo tweezers that allowed me to pick up stacks of troops without destroying the stacks next to it. Helped greatly for the eastern and western front games with big stacks of counters.

Spent much of my money while at Great Lakes, Ill. naval base ('77 to '79) going to a gaming store in northern Chicago at least once monthly.

< Message edited by ny59giants -- 9/25/2017 3:34:03 PM >

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 16
RE: SOT: The Notorious Board Game That Takes 1,500 Hour... - 9/25/2017 4:55:16 PM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 4/25/2018 10:50:57 AM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 17
RE: SOT: The Notorious Board Game That Takes 1,500 Hour... - 9/25/2017 4:57:39 PM   
pontiouspilot

..it looks pretty workable compared to SPIs War in Europe...at least a person can reach across the board. W in Eu. was quite impossible to reach to the middle from extremities.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 18
RE: SOT: The Notorious Board Game That Takes 1,500 Hour... - 9/25/2017 5:09:06 PM   
Yaab

Then, the War in Europe must have had only two great players - Kevin McHale and Scottie Pippen.

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 19
RE: SOT: The Notorious Board Game That Takes 1,500 Hour... - 9/25/2017 5:45:26 PM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 9/26/2017 5:29:34 AM >

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 20
RE: SOT: The Notorious Board Game That Takes 1,500 Hour... - 9/25/2017 8:11:58 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

"I blow my nose at you, so-called "dice rollers," you and all your silly number crunching. Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!"

Ni!

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 21
RE: SOT: The Notorious Board Game That Takes 1,500 Hour... - 9/25/2017 9:33:08 PM   
adarbrauner

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

I want to see this game done properly on PC, no TOAWIV version.

All of the detail we see in WITPAE at Battalion/Company level and a proper LCU movement/combat system.

<3

< Message edited by adarbrauner -- 9/25/2017 9:34:38 PM >

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> SOT: The Notorious Board Game That Takes 1,500 Hours To Complete Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI