Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Hurricane Irma

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Hurricane Irma Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/10/2017 9:07:03 PM   
Nomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Just got to say that I don't live in California--EARTHQUAKES.

Don't live in the Gulf of Mexico/Florida--HURRICANES.

I'll stay in nice, safe Colorado where we face the occasional Tornado, once-a-year blizzards, and the once-every-thousand-year Flood from the river one mile north of us.

Just saying...

Prayers to everyone in the path of this beast!

You could end up buried in 30 feet of hot ash like the poor people in CE 79 in Pompeii.

Ah, you're a bit close to the world's largest supervolcano - Yellowstone.

I live in the Yellowstone Caldera, why worry?

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 121
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/10/2017 9:17:58 PM   
HansBolter

I was almost done boarding windows yesterday when my brother came by and convinced me to leave. Am with friends near Inverness, about 80 miles north of Tampa Bay and a bit inland. Will still get hit here, but with less force. I only managed to secure 3 of my 4 cats. The last one is a stray who has been with me for a year, Burt doesn't like being picked up. He attacked and bit my arm pretty badly when I grabbed him. I got my three girls to safety, I hope, and have to pray that Little Boy will come through it alive.
My prayers are with all of us in it's path.

Hans

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 122
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/10/2017 9:22:19 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

I was almost done boarding windows yesterday when my brother came by and convinced me to leave. Am with friends near Inverness, about 80 miles north of Tampa Bay and a bit inland. Will still get hit here, but with less force. I only managed to secure 3 of my 4 cats. The last one is a stray who has been with me for a year, Burt doesn't like being picked up. He attacked and bit my arm pretty badly when I grabbed him. I got my three girls to safety, I hope, and have to pray that Little Boy will come through it alive.

Best way is to lay a large towel or a blanket over them before picking them up. Covering their vision seems to calm them.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 123
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/10/2017 10:54:29 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Best way is to lay a large towel or a blanket over them before picking them up. Covering their vision seems to calm them.

Best place to grab a cat is by the scruff of the neck, not that you can pick up a cat that way.
Hope Little Boy has a safe place to hide.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 124
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/10/2017 10:57:53 PM   
BBfanboy

Just found out where my niece who lives in St. Petersburg went. She is somewhere in Georgia, at a cousin's place ... with all her extended family that lived in Florida - probably around 50 of them, with their pets! I'm tempted to send her to see Canoerebel!

Unfortunately her house is close to the waters of Tampa Bay and in a low-lying area - doesn't look good for escaping damage or outright destruction. I will help her with recovery but it may not be enough.

I am reminded how lucky I am to have gone through three historic floods, a tornado near-miss and two very nasty blizzards without significant damage to my property. Worst was hail damage to roof and car. Sure makes you sympathetic to those who are suffering.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 125
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/11/2017 12:04:37 AM   
Canoerebel

Based on radar and the 7 p.m. National Hurricane Center update, the eye of Hurricane Irma is ashore near Naples, moving due north, and taking a bit of an inland track.

If it stays on that course, the storm may weaken steadily and the big population centers of Sarasota and Tampa/St. Pete may end up to the left (west) of the eye. As noted in the information this morning. Key West, just 15 miles west of the eye was getting sustained winds between 70 an 90 MPH at the peak. This is enough to play havoc with signs and trees and power lines but not to do major structural damage.

Storm surge is another matter. If something happens like with Katrina at Biloxi and Pass Christian, Mississippi, it will be major damage in Tampa/St. Pete. But I don't think there will be damage of that kind.

Cities just to the east of the eye will get the higher winds. Orlando may get higher winds than Tampa/St. Pete.

But overall the storm may weaken and not approach the "worst storm ever seen," at least in Florida. I don't know about Cuba and the Carribean Islands.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 126
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/11/2017 1:28:37 PM   
Chickenboy

How'd our Floridian bretheren make out?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 127
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/11/2017 1:53:41 PM   
Canoerebel

They may be without power for a few days. Hans Bolter may have been closest to the eye, but I think Tampa/St. Pete dodged the bullet. His house should be fine, structurally.

The storm has weakened tremendously. Valdosta, Georgia, which should be receiving some of the strongest winds now, is reporting winds at9 mph with gusts to 21 mph. That should increase as the day goes on, but it gives a good idea that the storm is weakening quickly.

To this point, no deaths reported in Florida. There will be significant wind damage in the Middle Keys and around the Naples area, but probably not widespread structural damage - more like roofs, signs, power lines, loose objects, and a few horizontal arms on cranes (three such in the Miami area). I don't think there has been any significant storm surge issues in major population centers, as there was after Katrina. And I don't think the rainfall totals will be anywhere close to Harvey.

To anyone affected by Irma it's a huge deal but most places weren't hard hit.

To put this into perspective, last year's Hurricane Matthew killed ten or twenty folks in Georgia and South Carolina. But few except in those areas remember that storm a year later. In the southeastern states, certain hurricanes are mentioned with a haunted look: Labor Day 1935, Camille '69, Hugo '87, Andrew '92, Katrina 2005, and a few others. Irma will not join those ranks.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 128
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/11/2017 3:03:52 PM   
Chickenboy

I think we'll know more about residual storm damage in the next few days when folks return home. But my initial thoughts mirror your own at this point.

The 'market is speaking' too. A day after Harvey came ashore, I belatedly bought stock in the largest American drywall producer, American Gypsum (ticker USG). Shoulda bought it two days before that, but what are you gonna do? As the reports of flooding damage around Houston came in, it predictably ticked higher. Up 15% from where I bought it.

Today, it's falling back off its highs of late last week, in a market with the Dow up 218 points. Less a demand than initially feared / suspected.

Without looking, I suspect a similar deflation in related 'recovery' stocks will also come to pass.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 129
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/11/2017 3:32:13 PM   
Canoerebel

I take it for granted that everybody here knows about the train swept off the tracks during the Labor Day Hurricane of 1935. But perhaps some of you don't. Here's what I recall, going from memory.

Labor crews (perhaps CCC?) were in the keys working on the overseas highway. Word about the quickly strengthening hurricane came in via ships and some of the Carribean Islands. Hasty, last minute plans were made to evacuate the Keys. There was a train in the Miami area. For some reason there was uncertainty or delays in getting it underway to the worker camps in the keys. Finally it got underway. But the storm hit shortly after the work crews got aboard the train. The storm surge overwhelmed the island (Long Pine Key?), sweeping the train off the tracks for hundreds of feet. Many people died.

There are several monuments about this storm and its victims. I think one is at Miami Memory Gardens, a cemetery where many victims were buried.

As I noted in a previous post, Ernest Hemingway was in Key West when the storm hit. He traveled to the Middle Keys and then submitted eyewitness reports to newspapers or agencies. His reports are graphic and sad.

The book Last Train to Paradise (might be Last Train from Paradise) is an detailed account of this storm. Another memorable passage is about a ship (the S.S. Dixie?) destroyed or marooned in the Florida Straits.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 130
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/11/2017 5:44:36 PM   
Lovejoy

I have an Aunt and Uncle in Charleston SC (moved there in the 90s). A lot of their friends and neighbors who were there for Hugo in 1989 still shudder a little when it gets mentioned. Hugo went from a CAT 3 when it hit Puerto Rico to a CAT 4 when in hit South Carolina. IIRC, over half of the damage in monetary value to property inflicted by Hugo (8-10 billion usd) was suffered in SC. The Ben Sawyer Bridge connecting Isle of Palms and Sullivan's Island actually had one end dipping into the Intracoastal waterway.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 131
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/12/2017 2:51:41 AM   
wdolson

quote:

I'll stay in nice, safe Colorado where we face the occasional Tornado, once-a-year blizzards, and the once-every-thousand-year Flood from the river one mile north of us.

Just saying...

I've been through 2 major earthquakes. They aren't so bad and they don't happen all that often.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 132
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/12/2017 2:59:29 PM   
Canoerebel

Irma has faded away. Here in northwest Georgia, one of the strangest tropical systems ever. We had a cold rain yesterday with a steady temperature of 57 and blustery winds, making it feel very cold. Usually, tropical systems bring a tropical, sultry feel that is oppressive.

I heard one news report that this was the first time northwest Georgia had ever been under a Tropical Storm Warning. Conditions here never deteriorated anywhere close to that kind of level. And the fact that it may have been the first time at that warning level is merely coincidental. Many hurricanes have remained potent far inland before diminishing to tropical storm or tropical depression status. As noted previously, Hurricane Camille in 1969 was still generating hurricane force winds when it passed near Memphis.

For the National Weather Service, Irma was a tough call. Had the storm not interacted with the coast of Cuba for so long, she might have packed a considerably greater punch when she hit Florida. And her track of greatest power - that northeast quadrant - mostly managed to miss the biggest population centers. Just a slight shift in course could've made drastic differences in impact. So the NWS and the federal and state governments had to act cautiously. They'll probably catch it now from a populace inconvenience and by a media that loves to place blame and stir up resentments.

Lots of people without power in Florida and the clean-up will be protracted and irksome to all involved.

In the end, Irma was not a Camille, Hugo, Andrew, or Katrina. She might be more accurately compared to those strong storms of '04 and '05, like Wilma and Frances.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 133
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/12/2017 3:04:12 PM   
BillBrown

My opponent that lives in Tate's Hell in Florida has stated that Irma was not bad and turns resume today.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 134
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/13/2017 1:36:10 PM   
HansBolter

Came through Ok. Little Boy survived. He won't let me get near him, afraid I'll try to grab him again. I had to leave one cat behind in Inverness. She wouldn't come out of hiding. Going back Saturday to dig her out of my friends garage. I have two major trees down. One clipped eave of roof in front and punched small hole. Other uprooted and is leaning against house. Have tree guy in family who I called to get into his queu. He said, you're family, I'll be right over. By mid day yesterday we had one tree cleared and another well along. Have tarp lined up for roof until I can marshal the reroofing effort. Will finally force me to replace my original seventy year old asbestos cement shingle roof.

Forgot to mention I have no power like 4 million other Floridians. St. Pete was spared. We got the weak side of the eye as it passed over Macdill Air Force Base in Tampa. Naples, down south recorded 142mph winds. St. Pete only recorded 69mph.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 9/13/2017 1:55:57 PM >

Hans

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 135
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/13/2017 1:55:26 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Came through Ok. Little Boy survived.

Glad to hear it.

When you have a minute, I'd like your input on my previous charity question in this thread.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 136
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/13/2017 2:26:57 PM   
btd64

Hans,
Glad to hear you and your family came thru OK. That roof is going to be a challenge.$$$....GP

Intel i7 3.4GHz,8GB Ram,1920x1080 rez

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DW Series-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

I don't like paying for the same real estate twice..Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 137
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/13/2017 3:11:40 PM   
Lecivius

Service providers are reporting normal conditions have returned for Georgia and Mississippi. Still looking at Florida, although they "expect conditions to return to normal in the next 2-5 days".

Lots of stuff still down in the southern half of Florida.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 138
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/13/2017 3:16:27 PM   
Canoerebel

Yesterday, six million customers without power in Florida. That number is down to three million today. Making some progress, but that's a lot of people without power, especially since it's hot and humid now.

I heard radio news report this a.m. that five nursing/rehab home patients were found dead in an un-airconditioned building in South Florida.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 139
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/13/2017 3:33:37 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
I heard radio news report this a.m. that five nursing/rehab home patients were found dead in an un-airconditioned building in South Florida.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/5-dead-at-florida-nursing-home-after-irma-knocks-out-power/ar-AArS8Vu?li=BBnb7Kz

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 140
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/14/2017 2:50:38 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

Just saying...

I've been through 2 major earthquakes. They aren't so bad and they don't happen all that often.

Bill

I've been through one major heartbreak. They aren't so bad and they don't happen all that often.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 141
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/14/2017 2:59:38 PM   
HansBolter

Duke energy has promised to have all of Pinellas and Pasco (just north of Pinellas along coast)with restored power by midnight Friday.

My brother has power so I am sleeping and showering at his place while shuttling by my home to feed cats and clear debris.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 9/14/2017 3:00:01 PM >

Hans

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 142
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/14/2017 3:09:31 PM   
btd64

quote:

Duke energy has promised to have all of Pinellas and Pasco (just north of Pinellas along coast)with restored power by midnight Friday.

My brother has power so I am sleeping and showering at his place while shuttling by my home to feed cats and clear debris.

I wish I could come down and help you and your neighbors. Physical limitations....GP

Intel i7 3.4GHz,8GB Ram,1920x1080 rez

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DW Series-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

I don't like paying for the same real estate twice..Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 143
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/14/2017 3:13:59 PM   
Canoerebel

Good luck, Hans. I hope a few weeks from now, you're sitting in air-conditioned comfort, your cats at your feet, beverage of choice in hand, and a great sporting event (or AE turn) on the screen.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 144
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/14/2017 3:20:06 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

Came through Ok. Little Boy survived. He won't let me get near him, afraid I'll try to grab him again. I had to leave one cat behind in Inverness. She wouldn't come out of hiding. Going back Saturday to dig her out of my friends garage. I have two major trees down. One clipped eave of roof in front and punched small hole. Other uprooted and is leaning against house. Have tree guy in family who I called to get into his queu. He said, you're family, I'll be right over. By mid day yesterday we had one tree cleared and another well along. Have tarp lined up for roof until I can marshal the reroofing effort. Will finally force me to replace my original seventy year old asbestos cement shingle roof.

Forgot to mention I have no power like 4 million other Floridians. St. Pete was spared. We got the weak side of the eye as it passed over Macdill Air Force Base in Tampa. Naples, down south recorded 142mph winds. St. Pete only recorded 69mph.

I just slapped a new roof on my house, got the wood literally before most of it evaporated to Florida...painfully expensive I am sad to report, and you have a hazardous roof to rip off...I don't envy you.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 145
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/14/2017 4:42:37 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

I just slapped a new roof on my house, got the wood literally before most of it evaporated to Florida...painfully expensive I am sad to report, and you have a hazardous roof to rip off...I don't envy you.

Yea, I procrastinated for far too long. I reroofed the detached garage about 12 years ago and it cost me $4,500. I had to replace the deck and add new scabbed in joists to replace termite damaged ones.
The house roof needs the same treatment and given the amount of area it will run $15,000 to $18,000 to have it done professionally.
After spending 2-1/2 years unemployed 7 years ago I just don't have the cash and refuse to go in debt.
2-1/2 years of unemployment left a heavy scar that won't allow me to go in debt ever again.

Fortunately I have extended family with roofing experience, will pull a home owners permit and fund the effort gradually over time.
May be living with the tarp for 2-3 months while I accumulate funds for the start up.

When I evacuated, I left everything behind telling myself it is all just "stuff" and only the lives are important.
I am blessed that I still had a home to return to no matter the struggle ahead to rebuild.

Hans

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 146
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/14/2017 5:00:17 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

HansBolter, et. al.,

Can you guys help us identify local / regional charities that would be in need of cash donations post-Irma? I'd like to help a bit if I may.

Now that we have internet back in the office I took the time to track this down.

I don't have a good line on any local or regional secular charities.

As a Christian I tend to support ministries more than secular charities.

Samaritan's Purse is one I support and am familiar with and I know they are providing relief in many disaster zones.

Another is Feeding Children Everywhere.

One very local ministry, based in St. Petersburg is Answered Prayers Project. Mostly centered around helping women, but I know they are gathering supplies for displaced people in the disaster as I received an email from them asking for supplies.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 9/14/2017 5:01:03 PM >

Hans

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 147
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/14/2017 5:25:32 PM   
Canoerebel

Dumb question: is your house insured against hurricane damage?

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 148
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/14/2017 5:32:58 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

HansBolter, et. al.,

Can you guys help us identify local / regional charities that would be in need of cash donations post-Irma? I'd like to help a bit if I may.

Now that we have internet back in the office I took the time to track this down.

I don't have a good line on any local or regional secular charities.

As a Christian I tend to support ministries more than secular charities.

Samaritan's Purse is one I support and am familiar with and I know they are providing relief in many disaster zones.

Another is Feeding Children Everywhere.

One very local ministry, based in St. Petersburg is Answered Prayers Project. Mostly centered around helping women, but I know they are gathering supplies for displaced people in the disaster as I received an email from them asking for supplies.

Thanks, Hans-just what I was looking for. I've heard good things about Samaritan's Purse and, of course, the local ministries doing yeoman's work.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 149
RE: OT: Hurricane Irma - 9/14/2017 6:31:22 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Dumb question: is your house insured against hurricane damage?

Now to expose me for the fool I am.

When I was unemployed for 2-1/2 years I allowed my home owners insurance to lapse. Own the home so I have no mortgage company forcing me to carry coverage.

Although I have been back at work, albeit making far less than before the crash, I never bothered to get a new policy.

I had everything at risk last weekend. Could have lost it all.

I looked into a policy two weeks before the hurricane, but of course they slow walked it so it wouldn't be in place in time.

They were going to exclude the roof anyway due to its age.

I have a policy lined up now, excluding the roof.

Once I have a new roof in place, I'll amend the policy to include it.

Hans

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Hurricane Irma Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI