Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> After Action Reports >> beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/6/2017 7:00:10 PM   
zakblood

It's been a while, then again i'm always busy, so here we go,

settings used, well beginners use the normal default settings, so this is what i chose and normally test on anyway.

air is on auto, so i let the AI do almost all the work for the Air Campaign, just alter what i need and when to what i'm doing at the time, but nothing fancy as the AI is very good anyway, or mostly better than i am anyway

oh and yes, i'm the Allies as i like it easy and suggest while learning, you do the same, and when you have won them all, either play the other side, or alter the difficulty, as both sides give a different challenge and for me, in most battles, the Axis are the harder side to play...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/6/2017 7:01:38 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/6/2017 7:04:10 PM   
zakblood

so why i have altered it from the default one shown, reasons are given now, maybe right, maybe wrong, but as it's my beginners guide it's my opinion, anyone who is a better player, that's 99% of the testers btw can come in and point out all my errors and any time, or if anyone else spots something wrong, please tell me, i have broad shoulders and a thick skin and older enough now to know, i know nothing about a lot of subjects and everything about well, nothing...

right red ones to start off with, as this is turn one, i'm attacking, after just landing, so at first i need to limit the Air the axis flies, so for me, i do a all out max attack on airfields and as i wish the ferry crossing to be hindered as well, both of them get my max effort of attention, or i ask the AI to do it for me anyway, which tbh it does quite well.

then secondary i want the ports, railways and rail yards, so stop or ask the AI not to target them, as shown.

if Sicily was going to be a longer type battle, i'd try and hinder the Axis and alter some of these, but as the first part of the Toe or foothold into Italy isn't going to last that long for me, i do it my way, you can do it your own, it's just my view and opinion tbh

iv'e also covered the build number, as i'm a game tester and have access to beta builds before they come to everyone, so are testing for bugs or errors etc, so not really playing as such...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/6/2017 7:11:33 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 2
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/6/2017 7:12:38 PM   
zakblood

so we move on

Attachment (1)

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/6/2017 7:12:59 PM   
zakblood

and on

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/6/2017 7:13:37 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 4
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/6/2017 7:14:36 PM   
zakblood

which brings you to this screen and one last click, or so

when you get to a better level than beginner, you can delve into any of these screens and really go to town on some higher settings when your ready, but for now, that's for another day

and for someone else to do as i don't play that deep either, i like the land war side, so let the AI do the air for me on any difficulty level, as i'm me

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/6/2017 7:16:38 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 5
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/6/2017 7:18:50 PM   
zakblood

which brings you back to this, and now just hover your mouse over the execute and press, hover long enough and a tool tip comes up and explains what it does anyway

you do this each and every turn, so depending on whats happening on the ground, or what you wish to do, as you plan the air, before you do the land, you alter the air to suit your ground plan, then the AI pilots do there own thing, and while you can later target a single unit, atm we do area tasks and general AD planning with this screen, once mastered you can go really deep and alter heights and bomb loads and flight paths and targets and what color glasses the pilot wears and who he goes out with on a return pub trip if alive, but again, i'm doing the easy version

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/6/2017 7:22:36 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 6
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/6/2017 7:23:58 PM   
zakblood

if you need to understand more, either learn by playing, or learn by reading the manual and guides or watch some videos etc, all will be much better than my attempts at it.

once you do all above you get to a screen telling you how well you have done, i just exited from it and used this one in stead before i do the land moves and battle planning, so i get a more detailed account of the action, if i wish, i can watch each and every air battle blow by blow, but that's an options and your choice, i like to test or play in less than a week, doing it the long way will take you on the longer campaigns all year on the longest mode, so i use the quickest and only look at some thing odd which stands out as a bad or higher than i feel is right results.

as you can see, from me being the attacker, i hit there airfields hard and did more damage to them than i lost, so a good day, but could have been better, if i play or test to purely win, i'd not do the tactical use of air or recon and have much less losses, as apart from the VP's etc, the cost via the losses need to be took into play, as each heavy to medium bomber i loose, i pay a cost for it, same as any unit lost, so the more i loose, the lower the VP score, so the more places and other side units i need to take out of play to balance and overturn the VP's etc, so it's pro's and cons, something you learn also along the way, play the game for real, then you will play for real and do it all, play to get a higher score, do something less real, eg no long way missions for your bombers, fewer lower level attacks, or city or target attacks and recon, and you loose less, as you can see, on default you have FOW off so don't need recon as such when FOW is on, fly no recon, you will see only what your units are next to...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/6/2017 7:36:54 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 7
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/6/2017 7:37:26 PM   
zakblood

so onto land combat

as you can clearly see, you have already part landed on Sicily and have a foot hold.

don't worry about being pushed back into the sea either, as on the normally level of difficulty, it won't happen, the AI is more bothered about given ground and keeping it's units alive to fight in Italy, then keep hold of the Toe you have just grabbed onto. It wants the leg and you can have the foot etc, for now, so this plan is based on this.

Italy's units are shown in yellow with grey being the Axis, maybe brown for Italy and Black for Germans would have been more apt, but that's my liking, and was very lucky to have have some unit counters made for me when asked, so can't complain, as i don't use the Nato ones.,

as i'm a beginner, and who knows Nato counters and is learning

oh and btw (by the way) i always turn the weather off, so it's never shown on screen shots either or on while i play or test, unless it's a test to see if weather is working etc, as to me it matters not, i'm learning so for me, it's always sunny, and as i don't do stupid attacks when it's heavy rain and across a larger river with a smaller force with no support, it's ok for now as as well, as most of the time, it's raining and muddy anyway, so i plan for it, and just don't need to show it each and every turn...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/6/2017 7:48:15 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 8
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/6/2017 7:49:11 PM   
zakblood

so onto what's next

i have 6 Task forces offshore giving me, 6 landing bases but only 3 ports atm taken, with only 1 being of much use atm, as they get damaged in the attacks / assaults before this campaign starts, so first things is to move out and expand the bridgehead while keeping in supply and taken ground and bases away from the axis defends, most will either retreat or surrender, unless your daft enough to pick a German unit to attack, who more than likely will maul you for your efforts.

each turn you keep a port for, it will get repaired and be of somewhat more use, but your TF;s will also get damaged the longer it stays out at sea / on the coast etc, so while i can't put them all in port right now, sooner i may want to if i wish to use them like i will later on.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/6/2017 7:55:49 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 9
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/6/2017 7:58:47 PM   
zakblood

so now i zoom out and show you the whole battle area of this campaign, and what i need to do and in what order, my choice mind you, you can do as you like, follow history or make your own, you bought it, you play it your way, i do

so for me, Sicily then Italy eg Rome are my primary objectives etc

with capturing or wiping off the map as many units as i can before the game turns ends, with loosing the lease amount in the process for a better overall score.

with yellow being secondary objectives etc, as while the land is less important, the units there will help either side, me for score, the axis for defense and score later on etc.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/6/2017 8:01:44 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 10
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/6/2017 8:02:30 PM   
zakblood

so one by one i clear the bridgehead and break out, removing or pushing back anything i find in my way, unless it's German, then i bypass it and try and trap it that is

as shown, attacking and defending odds are all your looking for, and terrain, and remember we already know the weather effects have been taken into consideration, don't do whole stack attacks, try to do a balanced one, with better forces, so overpowering etc without using your tanks.

as my General rule of thumb is, tanks win battles, infantry win wars.

so use your tanks to spearhead advances and trap units and only attack other armored units, don't use on infantry if you can, as the Germans anyway use combined arms units, unlike you still at most dates, so even if it shows a pure infantry unit, you will see in it's info many other supports units combined with them, so expect AT guns, armored units and artillery etc.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/7/2017 3:02:12 AM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 11
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/7/2017 3:17:42 AM   
zakblood

so end of turn one, you end up with a enlarged bridgehead, hopefully at low cost to yourself if all goes well, your choice if you bring any other units into action from across the sea and from your reserves waiting in port or not, as it's a balance with then supply even more unit and cramming them into a place where there is little room for many more unit which are already there, tbh you have enough to hold and expand on this level of difficulty, so i bring 3 other units and let them clear it out, while using the others waiting in port elsewhere

as you alter the difficulty, this also alters your planing, so alter to suit later on.

also unless you fully commit to total air you may or could loose some on the crossing which will also effect your score, so best to ship coastal and to nearer ports than longer trips etc which yes gets them into action quicker but can lose more life's in air or shipping attacks...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/7/2017 3:20:01 AM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 12
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/7/2017 3:24:22 AM   
zakblood

so now for just this one, i'll show you a loss for both sides so far before i end the first turn and explain somethings

yellow shows losses for the axis, well Italians tbh atm as there all the units i've attacked so far.

blue is my losses with red being my men disabled, this as first makes it look like i've suffered massive losses, but in fact it's unit committed and then for one reason or another withdrawn, retrained, removed or unavailable for one reason or another, so not losses as such, just a cost of doing a landing etc, which will be returned back to the overall pool as i see it, the manual and correct may be something totally different, but for me it's not a loss either, as quite often you start with a large number and have no or little idea on where it comes from, so noted it as such...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/7/2017 3:29:04 AM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 13
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/7/2017 3:32:19 AM   
zakblood

at the start of turn 2, you get the screen which shows you the combat results from turn one and also the air etc, so study it and make sure it's going the right way, then you know your plan is working, as with all plans, as soon as combat happens, all plans fall apart, so alter it per turn and don't be set in a given way, or you will lose, or lose more units than if you altered your plan somewhat.

so what part of the Air plan did i do well in or the AI didn't follow my orders and do as good as i hoped?

well targeting the airfields didn't get the results i was after, then again then flew less mission than i've seen in other tests, so maybe it did?

your call, and opinion and choice to make on what you do on turn 1, i've tried a few different things and tbh, all have gone differently so i'm not sure a single plan fits everything, as it depends on other things as well, what's happening on land, what the AI choices to do, as that alters per what you have or are doing etc etc

i've tried many types, but as i wish to play around, sometimes the losses of medium and heavy bombers are more than i'd like, i don't use them in that roll and turn them into support sometimes, so sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/7/2017 3:39:19 AM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 14
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/7/2017 3:43:44 AM   
zakblood

so i alter the Air plan and change the airfield attacks and spend more time over the ferry's now, hoping to catch more units retreating across them, and also alter the bombers as well, and stop the deep fuel attacks, yes they get more fuel, but as i want them going backwards and not forwards, atm that doesn't matter to me, as i want speed also at less cost to myself / my units

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/7/2017 3:44:07 AM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 15
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/7/2017 3:50:14 AM   
zakblood

and now back onto the land part, as you can see, in the AIs turn, the spent all there time and effort going backwards and wish to retreat across the ferries to save there units from being wiped out, a wise choice, and it's my job to harry them and cause some damage and stop as many as i can in the process, as lower costs to myself, as my tank spearheads have already on turn 1 almost split the place in two, it's now going to be a 2 attack plan, as always for me, with a small force going west and a larger main force with all the Armour going east for speed and power, just in cast someone wishes to hold and fight

push a German unit to hard, and they will turn and bite, so plan for it, makes less losses and better odds that you will hold and get less losses for the punch if and when it comes.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/7/2017 3:51:26 AM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 16
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/7/2017 4:02:31 AM   
zakblood

i now withdraw 3 of my TF's to my main supply bases and get them ready to do another landing so have them get some prep points, as it takes time and planning to do this, so start it now with my reserves forces there, as assign any unit left there to another nearest HQ as it's no longer needed on Sicily, or shouldn't be at this level of difficulty

Attachment (1)

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 17
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/7/2017 4:04:50 AM   
zakblood

so at the end of turn 2, the land planning is done, and leaves me with this result

i have trapped and surrounded 9 Italian units and one good German one and cut the Island in half and pushed back / caught up with the axis retreating units

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/7/2017 4:06:23 AM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 18
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/7/2017 4:12:50 AM   
zakblood

so how did i do on turn 2?

well the air plan changes seems to have paid off

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/7/2017 4:14:06 AM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 19
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/7/2017 4:14:24 AM   
zakblood

now for the land part

well if it was a football match, 8 - 0 isn't a bad score

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/7/2017 4:15:47 AM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 20
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/7/2017 4:16:08 AM   
zakblood

so now losses

and remember some of mine, aren't looses as such, so far so good, it's very light for me, and minor atm for the axis, but turn 3 will change that somewhat now .

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/7/2017 4:19:12 AM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 21
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/7/2017 4:29:55 AM   
zakblood

so did i do any better or did the AI plan go a different way than mine?

in the air part, i'm the master, as the AI just doesn't have the strength the allies have

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/7/2017 4:31:36 AM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 22
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/7/2017 4:32:48 AM   
zakblood

but does the land go the same way, as now some combat has happen'ed, is the axis, mainly German side showing it's teeth as yet?

well it didn't all go my way, but some pockets surrendered so made it look better for me all the same

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/7/2017 4:34:52 AM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 23
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/7/2017 4:35:01 AM   
zakblood

as shown

with 17 Italian units and 1 German unit now out of play, with no losses to myself, i lick a few wounds and press on

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/7/2017 4:36:34 AM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 24
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/7/2017 4:40:39 AM   
zakblood

so on the start of turn 4, i start to squeeze the gap and close and empty the 2 last Italian pockets

and also prep a landing on the main land of Italy as well, around Catanzaro, while this is more of a feint etc, as i wish to cross mainly at the ferry points, i want as few unit left defending there as possible, so a landing higher up does this job and can be held with a airborne landing and a few troops until relieved by the force which will cross at the ferry, with luck

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/7/2017 4:44:23 AM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 25
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/7/2017 4:45:36 AM   
zakblood

and so ends turn 4

one pocket gone, another one soon to go, and the mass of units on the east side all trying to get a across a bombed ferry route, makes for easy pickings if your careful, or a bloodbath if you press too hard, as remember what i said about the Germans biting if caught / trapped.

so it matters not if some get away, just not the bulk of there forces

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/7/2017 7:35:11 AM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 26
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/7/2017 7:35:49 AM   
zakblood

with air going how i want it to go

Attachment (1)

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 27
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/7/2017 7:36:27 AM   
zakblood

again on the start of turn 5, i take a look at the land side

Attachment (1)

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 28
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/7/2017 7:37:37 AM   
zakblood

steady and in the right direction then it seems so far, so good, i've not pushed to hard or gone too deep as yet it seems with results and losses etc

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/7/2017 7:38:57 AM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 29
RE: beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 - 9/7/2017 7:39:42 AM   
zakblood

so again, with the AD sorted and done, i move again back onto the land planning phase and plan and do my moves and combat and see how the AI deals with me

with the western side of the Island now firmly in my hands, i move to support the western push, which while going well, has stopped somewhat with 2 large pockets of Germans and 1 of Italian units, while the Italian are in the port, it's not going to be easy so i probe and pull back, but don't attack the Germans this turn, as there too strong for me by a long way, so bide my time and leave along and let lack of supplies kick in, as when morale and supplies are lower, they will fall at less cost, i can wait

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/7/2017 7:49:11 AM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> After Action Reports >> beginners guide to BattleGround Italy 43-45 Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI