Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

If Germany Didn't Declare Against the U.S.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> If Germany Didn't Declare Against the U.S. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
If Germany Didn't Declare Against the U.S. - 8/25/2017 6:20:43 PM   
Lobster

Tripartite Pact: This was a purely defensive pact. It was not required of one signatory to aid another if the signatory were the aggressor. If this were not true then Japan and Western Europe would have been at war in 1939.

Soviet–Japanese Neutrality Pact: Signed to release Soviet and Japanese force requirements on their northern borders. It benefited both parties and was well known by the world. Stalin even saw the Japanese delegation off at the train station.

While the U.S. was aiding the U.K. as much as possible and pushing the envelope of neutrality the U.S. could not declare war on Germany without the approval of Congress. Congress was not likely to do that.

When Japan attacked Pearl Harbor Roosevelt's advisors were at wits end. The U.S. public wanted retribution against Japan and the U.S. government was going to be forced to direct all resources against them in the Pacific thus watering down any help they could give the U.K. But when Hitler, almost in an offhand manner, declared war on the U.S. it was a great relief for all nations fighting against Germany. They knew, and some expressed this, that the war was now won. It was simply a matter of time.

Hitler's advisors pressed him to not declare war against the U.S. Hitler felt it would make little difference. What if Hitler had listened to his advisors? What if he had NOT declared war on the U.S.? What if the U.S. would be left fighting only Japan and was neutral, in whatever sense, towards Germany? The U.S. pressed Finland to cease offensive operations against the USSR and Finland publicly rejected their demands but privately agreed agreed. On 5 November President Ryti of Finland wrote Mannerheim asking to suspend offensive actions against the Murmansk Railway. He agreed and Finnish offensive operations were ceased against the Soviet Union.

So, if Hitler had not declared war on the U.S. a few days after Pearl Harbor and the U.S. was restricted in their material help to the U.K. and U.S.S.R. and was unable to provide any manpower at all what course would the war have taken? Would the U.S. have still declared war on Germany after defeating Japan? Or before defeating Japan? Or not declared at all? And think about this. If Germany had a free hand in Europe without direct U.S. involvement for even a two or three more years what would have been the effect in the USSR? There certainly would have been less troops needed in the West. Fewer U.S. tanks to the U.K. in North Africa. No invasion of North Africa by the U.S. in 1942 or Sicily. Italy would have been kept in the war much longer. Some very interesting stuff to think about.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"
Post #: 1
RE: If Germany Didn't Declare Against the U.S. - 8/25/2017 6:48:12 PM   
ASHBERY76

The US was in the war anyway.Hitler should have DOW'd ealier so he could target shipping.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 2
RE: If Germany Didn't Declare Against the U.S. - 8/25/2017 7:07:26 PM   
Blond_Knight

Newt Gingrich's book '1945' laid out a very entertaining story about this very thing. The premise was on Dec 6 1941 Hitler was injured in a place crash and did not declare war on the US.
Otto Skorzeny's commando unit is sent in 1945 to attack the Oak Ridge Lab to halt the Manhattan Project.
Geez! Checking the wiki its been 22 years since I read that book.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 3
RE: If Germany Didn't Declare Against the U.S. - 8/25/2017 9:59:07 PM   
vonRocko

The U.S. would certainly have found some reason/excuse to declare war. Like ASHBERY said we were already in a shooting war with their subs anyhow.

(in reply to Blond_Knight)
Post #: 4
RE: If Germany Didn't Declare Against the U.S. - 8/25/2017 10:30:31 PM   
rico21

The US industrial power with the Lend-Lease is the key of victory in any case.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 5
RE: If Germany Didn't Declare Against the U.S. - 8/25/2017 11:11:29 PM   
TDefender

I really don't think Usa would have allowed a complete collapse of the european democracies eventually, even without Pearl Harbour. Obviously, it would be very, very hard for the Usa and the Allies facing the Axis not involved in the east. Declaring war to Stalin remains imho Hitler's main fault (good for us all )

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 6
RE: If Germany Didn't Declare Against the U.S. - 8/26/2017 3:57:51 AM   
Fred98

Russia would have won and driven across Germany all the way to the Channel.

We know that because British troops stopped the Russians from occupying Denmark.

(in reply to TDefender)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> If Germany Didn't Declare Against the U.S. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI